• Forum membership has its advantages....

S-10 or Ranger

Motorider

Now I am not trying to start a Ford v. Chevy war here, but wanted to find out about suspension mods for both the S-10 and the Ranger. I currently have an S-10 and was thinking about prerunning it, but it seems that most shops do very little with the S-10 and prefer to do work on the Rangers which everyone has. Since there is a greater demand for the suspension mods for the Rangers there is more to choose from, and there is better competition between shops. So I would like to hear from anyone that has an S-10 that they have "worked" on and listen to the pros and cons of both systems prior to spending the all important dollar.

Patrick

Jimmy8

If it comes down to the all important dollar, get a ranger because you get a lot more for the dollar, and the dollar is a whole lot cheaper when dealing with a ranger over s10, along with a lot more choices.

John Bitting

Administrator
MotoRider, I am a chevy guy at heart but after putting $10k into my chevy with long travel and good shocks it still was not was I was looking for so I broke down and bought a Ford i-beam truck. I think with what is available out there for these trucks the possibilities are endless and you get way more bang for your buck for sure...

singlehanded

I think the first thing to do is look under the hood of an s-10. You will see that there is virtually no room for anything which limits travel. In a ranger there is tons of room plus you have lots of choices on suspension and dont have to have everything custom made to get a good amount of travel. I think s-10 are nice for race trucks but not economical for a prerunner unless you fabb all the parts yourself. Dont start putting money into something that wont be able to do what you want it to. If its a-arms you want buy a 98+ ranger they are some good kits out there that are quite reasonable. But John is right I-beam trucks are easy to build , relitivly cheap and you can gets lots of travel. You gotta love them, thats why I got one, 94 ranger.You can easily get 18" of travel all the way around pretty cheap if you are not looking for some indestuctable race truck as a daily driver. good luck...........

local

Steve_HKmtrsprts

I am another Chevy man at heart and broke down and got a Ford. The Ford beam suspension has way more possibilities for the money. So just depends on how much you want to beat your truck. You can have a nice looking prerunner with both but if you actually want to use it in the desert go with the Ford.

The difference between men and boys is the Speed of their Toys

Motorider

It sounds like there is only a bunch of Chevy guys out there. I'm a chevy guy also and it seems that most people agree that the most economical way to go is with the Ford. But I would still like to hear more.

John Bitting

Administrator
There is always the option of what Klaus is going to do. He is going to have a long travel I-beam ranger built and put a chevrolet 350 motor and transmission in it.. Best of both worlds. :)

Jimmy8

Not that I like chevys at all, but look at what the herbsts did. They built a chevy, and just put I beams under it instead of a arms. I guess you could take your s10 and have them rip the a arms completely out from underneath it and put some i beams on it. it may save you money that way, because you are not going to have to buy a new truck, and the rear suspension is all the same anyways.

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Its all about how much money you want to put into it. It just takes more time and money to get something comprable out of a Chevy than you can with a Ford. Just like John says and what SI did. SI built a bitchen Ranger and threw a Chevy 350 in it. It was in Off-Road magazine about a few months back.

The difference between men and boys is the Speed of their Toys

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Ford truck with Chevy motor=Fordolet. That pisses everybody off.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I would keep the S-10 as a daily driver and pick up a ranger. You could do your S-10 and probrably be happy with it for awhile........until......You find out what all the rest of us did. Theres nothing quite like hauling ass through the desert. It is damned addictive. Each time you upgrade you go a little bit faster and you dig it just a little more, until you have run out of upgrades you can do, which will happen pretty quickly in an S-10. The ranger on the other hand you go slowly and there is really no limit to what you can do to it. You would be surprised what you can do in a ranger with just some radius arms and a couple of bilstiens.