Sad Day

JHC

DesertDog
Reaction
I just got off the phone with Dave (the modelman) after hearing off the news from baja today
of the tragic accident involving the death of a participant in the san felipe 250.
It saddens my heart to hear such news, and my condolance's go out to both the family and
friends of the victim and the driver who caused the incident as it is never an easy thing to
have to deal with.
if there's a any bright side at all, it would have to be that he went out of this life doing something
we all enjoy so much and we should all be as fortunate.
lets all take a moment to remember the good times and good people involved in our favorite
sport and reflect on the dangers that come with it.
again, my condolance's to the parties involved.

Sincerely,
John
the Desertdog

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by JHC on 03/15/03 06:51 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

desertracer

Reaction
God speed to the rider. He left doing what he loved. My prayers also go to the driver, it has got to be a very difficult tragedy to deal with.

MDR Class 1

shrek

Reaction
Does anyone have any information on the name of the m/x rider??

Sadly,

Shrek

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

shrek

Reaction
I just found this on the score website---very saddening.

" The excitement of the race was subdued by the reported incident involving sportsman motorcycle rider David Bills of San Diego. Bills, 32, had taken over riding at race-mile 48 from rider of record Angel Montiel, also of San Diego, and the fatal accident occurred at race-mile 55. SCORE officials reported that Bills apparently died from injuries sustained in the accident. The team's motorcycle had reportedly been experiencing a number of problems prior to the fatal accident.
"The entire SCORE racing community is extremely saddened by the death of David Bills," said Sal Fish, SCORE's C.E.O./President. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.""

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Does anybody know how it happened and who hit him?

My thoughts and condolences go out to the Bills family.

See ya in the dirt!

desertracer

Reaction
According to orc they state that TT #99 was the truck involved in the accident.

MDR Class 1

jwfab1

Reaction
We heard it on the weatherman. My condolences go out to both families involved.

michael_loomis

Reaction
apparently Carl Renezeder was driving Nick Baldwins TT across Diablo lake bed when he struck the rider is the dust. very sad to say the least .

GODSPEED David Bills.

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
The accident was about a mile before the dry lake on a deep sand road.I must have been about minute or so behind the accident,thanks to the Herbst helo that warned me that someone was down by being about 8 feet off the ground.I hoped for the best but the rider was totally still and face down in the sand about 10 feet from his bike.The scene really bothered me even before I knew the outcome.We made a decision not to stop and help since the Herbst helo has a doctor on board but we also called it in to weatherman.I started catching bikes after 35 miles into the race and I bet I passed at least 30 bikes during the race and it's always a hair raising experience.

BEERMAN

FABRICATOR

Reaction
That stuff can make you wonder about what you are doing sometimes. This is a bad situation...the cars are getting faster and the bikes are not.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
The crazy thing is we were talking about it this weekend why they dont run the day before or run the experts/pro first then the time gap then all the cars and then a time gap and then the rest of the bikes. Or run them on a seperate course like BITD? I cant remember the last time I was at a Mexico race and I did not hear on weatherman about a car verse bike incident.

sirhk100

Reaction
I think like mentioned above, they need to start the bike HOURS ahead or even run them on a seperate day. I've been riding 17 years and am a decent rider but I know I don't feel comfortable on a bike capable of 100mph+. Also, I don't know how people can make bikes more stable. Steering dampers work wonders but there will always be a whoop or rock that knocks you outta shape and tosses you on the ground. It's one thing to do yourself in on your own, riding over your head but to be in a situation where you're hit by a truck is crazy!!!! I would love to race one of these races with my ride and 2 friends that are also very good riders. I'm not scared of riding over my head or crashing in the natural conditions but to crash and then be hit by a bike on a MX track sucks enough without throughing in a TT!!!!!

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
We'll have more info on David Bill's in 48hours to include pre-race photos and information on a memorial fund.

Angel Montiel is a good friend of ORC's and and extremely close friend of George Lara whom is considered to be "ORC Family". I met David the night before the race at our camp when George, David and Angel stopped by. He was a quite, humble guy and a dedicated off-roader. Godspeed David, we'll miss you and we'll always think of you when we are out in the dez and especially in Baja.

Moving forward, there is not much value in finger pointing or rumor mongering on this issue. We all love and "loved" this sport and "we" includes "David, Angel and George" and certainly Carl. I hope this topic stays positive and productive. Let's remember our fallen and continue to respect those that are our friends.

Thanks

PJCinLV
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pjc on 03/16/03 08:12 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

sirhk100

Reaction
I hope my post wasn't taken outta context as disrespectfull. I just think that things could be changed to help prevent stuff like this. We all know this is dangerous and that any of us can have this happen. It's the chance we take. I'm just saying that for me personally, the TT are the reason I don't race. Everytime I go to one and see the bikes leave the line I say to someone "God I would LOVE to ride on of these!!"

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Khris, no worries Pat is just making sure the thread stays true and on the right path. We will be looking for the post Pat, Thanks.

desertratt

Reaction
we where talking about this at dinner after the race. it is a tragedy to lose a fellow rider! plan and simple sal started the cars and trucks to soon behind the bikes. we heard a call from check 1 to ask sal not to start them yet since only 12 motorcycles had gone through but it was to late. i was pitting at klm 150 and only 1/2 the quads and bikes had gone by us when we saw the frist t-truck.
what we came up with is that they should start the sportsman bikes and quads behind the cars and trucks. i know as a sportsman rider my self i am not fond of the feeling of knowing there might be a truck behind me. i would not have a problem starting behind them. most of the pro riders are fast enough to stay in front and never see a truck or car.
both steve and george had close calls with bikes and quads on there sections. we where at klm 30 and had a sportsman bike almost get hit right in front of us by 2 class one cars. one of the cars veard over right at us and stopped about a foot from the back bumper of my truck. it was kinda scary and i know it rattled the biker.

drive fast and take chances!!

RacerX

Reaction
Why did SCORE move the race back to 7:30 after they decided to go at 7:45. They should have waited till 8:00 or started the bikes earlier. I am not saying that it is Score's fault that there decision caused the wreck. I was just wondering why things changed last minute. I think for future races that they need to start the bikes as early as they can and make the riders wear lights on there backs and/or on the back of the bike. I dont recall any bikes having a rear amber light or blue light.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Hi again,

I am sure that there are a lot of logistics that Sal weighs on how he establishes a schedule. I do not want to second guess him but, I'd like to offer an idea for the future.

1) Start Pro Bikes and Quads at least 1 hour before the Pro Cars and Trucks.
2) Start the Sportsman Bikes and Quads after the Sportsman Cars and Trucks.

Just my $.02.

PJCinLV

RacnCPA

Reaction
My condolences to the Bills family. Godspeed David. My sympathy to the TT driver and family. This must be incredible to deal with.

With NO disrespect to the families above, perhaps this is a good time to look at our own behavior while in the Mexican desert. This happened at a professional event, can you imagine what could happen when people are just playing or being irresponsible? I've seen the mentality of "it's Mexico, there are no rules" way too many times. Think about what you are going to do BEFORE you do it. Don't drink and drive and forget the "it can't happen to me" attitude. Think about how you would feel if you caused a tragedy when you were "just having fun!"

Sc

KitRacer

Reaction
I couldnt agree with you more pjc, and everyone else i spoke with had a similar idea. Now how do we present this idea to Sal? Maybe a poll is in order???

At baseball games they play organs, in motorsports they donate them.