SADR - Cholla 250

BuffaloBanger

Reaction
We signed up for the Cholla 250 as our first race in our (new to us) class 10 car. Looking for some advice on getting to Puerto Penasco. I'm pretty familiar with Baja, but this will be our first time to the Sonora area. We're coming from San Diego and picking up one guy on our way who's flying into Yuma. Looking at the map, looks like we've got 3 options-

1- Cross the border at San Luis, take the 2 east to Sonoyta, and then head south to PP.
2- Cross the border at San Luis, take the 3 south and then east to PP.
3- From Yuma, take the 8 east to Gila Bend, head south and cross the border at Lukeville, and head south to PP.

Any other advice to some newbies is appreciated as well!

MikeLeung

Reaction
Coming from San Diego, your 2 best options are crossing at Mexicali or crossing at San Luis.

Crossing at Mexicali is the shortest route. I drove this route in June from Penasco to San Deigo. The road is in great condition and a easy drive. Use Google maps for sure...driving thru Mexicali to reach Hwy 5 south is a little complicated. Once you head south on Hwy 5 heading to San Felipe, you have to make a left on Hwy 4 to connect to Hwy 3 to El Golfo De Santa Clara.

Crossing at San Luis is another, but longer option. If you take this route...dont take Hwy 2 east to Sonoyta. This is the longer route and adds unnesscary miles to your drive. The better route from San Luis is to head south on Hwy 3 .

BuffaloBanger

Reaction
Coming from San Diego, your 2 best options are crossing at Mexicali or crossing at San Luis.

Crossing at Mexicali is the shortest route. I drove this route in June from Penasco to San Deigo. The road is in great condition and a easy drive. Use Google maps for sure...driving thru Mexicali to reach Hwy 5 south is a little complicated. Once you head south on Hwy 5 heading to San Felipe, you have to make a left on Hwy 4 to connect to Hwy 3 to El Golfo De Santa Clara.

Crossing at San Luis is another, but longer option. If you take this route...dont take Hwy 2 east to Sonoyta. This is the longer route and adds unnesscary miles to your drive. The better route from San Luis is to head south on Hwy 3 .
Appreciate the info, Mike!

AZFR8TRAIN

Reaction
I have been to rocky point many times but only from Arizona. And thru Gila bend south to lukeville is a very easy way to go. I have some friends who live in San Luis and they did say to go thru Gila bend way one time when we were going to RP from the west. I guess dunes can develop on hiway But again it seems ML. Knows more traveling from the west than I Boarder does close at midnight at lukeville.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

MikeLeung

Reaction
I guess dunes can develop on hiway But again it seems ML. Knows more traveling from the west than I Boarder does close at midnight at lukeville.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Yes...Dunes absolutely can form on the Hwy between El Golfo and Penasco. If you not paying attention, it can launch your car

DOCRACING

Reaction
What a great weekend to race in the desert! Fresh rain the day before and a perfect clear day on Saturday for all the racers and chasers to enjoy.... And tacos and beer and friends
IMG_0956.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0948.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_1000 (2).JPG
IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG
!

DOCRACING

Reaction
We signed up for the Cholla 250 as our first race in our (new to us) class 10 car. Looking for some advice on getting to Puerto Penasco. I'm pretty familiar with Baja, but this will be our first time to the Sonora area. We're coming from San Diego and picking up one guy on our way who's flying into Yuma. Looking at the map, looks like we've got 3 options-

1- Cross the border at San Luis, take the 2 east to Sonoyta, and then head south to PP.
2- Cross the border at San Luis, take the 3 south and then east to PP.
3- From Yuma, take the 8 east to Gila Bend, head south and cross the border at Lukeville, and head south to PP.

Any other advice to some newbies is appreciated as well!
IMG_0986.JPG