SafeChase

BA_DirtDriver

Reaction
I'm not sure if MDR has a rule about driving backwards on the race course like all the other series do but they should. I was at the MDR race on Sat in the Mi 33 to mi 34 section (little hill jump/bumps ie not good vision) and watched a chase truck drive backwards on the course at around 45 mph. To say the least I was horrified. As a racer that is one thing that I would rather not have to worry about. It should not be left up to the judgement of the chasers whether this is exceptable or not. There was plenty of room to run along side the course. IMHO this action should constitute a DQ. Consider the alternative.

schafer

Reaction
No kidding, I was helping with this one, and I had people driving past on Chase roads going over 60, i would ask them to slow down, but next time they come by, they are flying again. All i could do was kind of act like i was going to stop them then move when they slowed down, but they floored it anyway.

Corey Schafer
tmcorey@ttora-socal.com

SuperDave

Reaction
It was announced at the drivers meeting and on the race information sheet and anyone driving backwards on the course is grounds for automatic disqualification of that race team. Next time you see someone driving backwards on the course, radio in to MDR Main, Weatherman, or notify the BLM. Also, there is a posted speed limit of 25 mph on the access roads, again, feel free to notify the BLM if someone's not following the rules.

Rover 4

BA_DirtDriver

Reaction
I have a radio and will do that next time but after the fact is not the point. Maybe a few DQ's will bring the awareness up. I also heard of a near miss at one of the road crossings. Teams should also note to their spectators to be responsible and respect all road crossings. MDR is a great place to watch a race I took my 8 year old daugter out and she just loved it. It is great to go out on the course to a place you know and watch everyone go through. Note that we stayed a safe distance usually above the actual course. I just don't want to see some attorney or activist use an accident as a vehicle (pun intended) to take our places to race away.

out

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I agree. Most of the time the chase guys think they are in the actual race and I have had several close calls with friends and with my young daughter. I agree all chasers should run numbers and if the guy is a jerk DQ the race vehicle. Most chase guys will respect the speed limits and leave in a timely manner to get where they need to be. Sometimes the vehicle breaks down and you need to get to it, but it is always the same jerk hauling ass back and forth. I have chased and I know the demands but you are no help to your team if you kill or injure someone or crash your own vehicle.

"faster than it looks"

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I had a good scare on lap 4 of the race. I was co-driving in truck # 1499 and we came around a bend to find a white yukon or suburban chase truck (couldn't see the # on it) pull onto the course in front of us. I could see them ahead for a little while as we got closer and it looked as if they were driving along side the course at 1st. BUT- then they trie` to cross (or drive on the course) in front of us. We slowed down as to not run into them, and gave a big blast of the horn - it could have been VERY ugly. These people need to learn to pay attention to what is going on on the course. Steve

Gabe Lara

Reaction
It really is upsetting to see alot of the chasers/ spectators running around at excessive speeds. I for one was crusing the pits on Saturday, and I was getting frustrated each minute there because of all of the "pit racing" and other ridiculous driving going on. All the time there were kids present, riding their minis and having a good time, yet at any moment, it could have been pretty disastrous.

Surely we all need to start policing ourselves, and everyone needs to slow down, and respect the speed limits in the pits.

-Gabe

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Is there really a need for "chase" in Barstow or Lucerne? The course is generally not far from the main pit or pits B or C. Send a car or two to certain points and monitor your radios. Been there done that. my $ . 02

As for the stupid people: Get a car # or license # and vehicle description to M. D. R. or the B.L.M.

(climbing onto soapbox)
M.D.R does not have the man power to police areas, bairly enough to run a race. Become a voulenteer. There have been times there were only 3 or 4 people to mark a course. And just enough to cover all needed checks and crossings.

Yea, It can jump. No you cannot have a ride.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Yeah, we didn't really "chase" all day - rather we stayed on the radio. When we lost a carrier bearing on lap 3 (before I got in the truck) the truck pulled off the course and radioed us. It only took about 15 min to get to them using the pit roads. We got it fixed on got um on the way in a decent amout of time, so I do agree that trues "chasing" is not really necessary at these type races. Steve

PS Pat - just so you'll know who I am - I'm the one that wanted to have a look at your susp. when we (#1499 - yellow ranger) we prerunning the course the weekend you were marking it.