• Forum membership has its advantages....

Safety glasses with cheaters for welding

Fifty

Anyone using cheater safety glasses under their hood when welding?

I don’t want a permanent magnifying full lense on my hood. So thought a set of safety glasses with a 1.5x bifocal would work.

I’m just starting to need cheaters so a low magnification is all I’m willing to admit at the moment.

Any opinions on what works? I’ve seen complaints on both sides as to where the magnifying window is, but I can’t tell who is welding and who isn’t

bullnerd

I used to buy the cheap ones from Mcmaster. They are ok. Takes a bit to get used to the small magnified area.

I think your eyes get worse quicker as soon as you start using cheaters.

I use a drop in lens that goes on the inside of my hood. Takes all of 5 seconds to remove. I have multiple from 1.0 to 2.0. I usually just keep the 1.5 in. But as far as safety glasses go i really like bomber. They aren't the cheapest. The ones I have for work auto darken in sunlight. I really like being able to walk out of the building and not have to switch to sun glasses.

Fifty

I have two pairs of 1.5x bifocal safety glasses now.

I’ll try them Out. My goals are to see if:
1) the 1.5x is in a good spot vs a full lense
2) if 1.5x is enough. (Just trying them on, doesn’t seem like it’s any better than what my eyes can do. So maybe a 2.0 is needed to make a difference)

burninfuel

I wear mine everyday, work and home shop.
difficult to do, seems that when welding, all positions that you use top half. Even when bench welding, I have to put bifocals on my eyebrows to see what I'm doing.
Use cheaters in my helmet and all is normal. No safety bifocals, way tooo many lenses and get issues, like house of mirrors

Fifty

I wear mine everyday, work and home shop.
difficult to do, seems that when welding, all positions that you use top half. Even when bench welding, I have to put bifocals on my eyebrows to see what I'm doing.
Use cheaters in my helmet and all is normal. No safety bifocals, way tooo many lenses and get issues, like house of mirrors

So you’re saying use full lense magnification, not bifocals.

novaman64

I use a drop in lens that goes on the inside of my hood. Takes all of 5 seconds to remove. I have multiple from 1.0 to 2.0. I usually just keep the 1.5 in. But as far as safety glasses go i really like bomber. They aren't the cheapest. The ones I have for work auto darken in sunlight. I really like being able to walk out of the building and not have to switch to sun glasses.
I do the same thing, love them for low amperage tig welding.

Yes. The multiple lens thing doesn't always work out too well. If you are switching between grinding and welding frequently it's a drag. But its better than getting crap imbeded in your welding lenses. I hate a dirty welding lens. Get a face shield if you are using you welding hood to protect your face.