• Forum membership has its advantages....

Safety on The Ground

Mike321

I pack a trauma kit in my chase truck, but the reality is I know how to use about half of what is inside the kit. I can mold a SAM splint, apply burn gel and I know how to stop bleeding. I used to know CPR, but I haven’t practiced it in years. I’m not a Dr. -- my expertise involves a dot and net, but I was a certified lifeguard -- I am still teachable.

I’ve seen several people posting from various forms of the life-saving community. I have an interest in updating my skillset to respond to emergencies in remote areas. Is there a program for racers available?

Note: I did call the Red Cross several years ago, and didn’t get a good answer. This is a program that needs to be invented…by this community.

This isn’t going to change the past, but better utilization of existing assets might help someone else’s future. Let me know what I can do to make this happen and I will sign up to be student #1.

Thanks,
Mike

mgobaja

They offer wilderness first aid classes in some regions of the country, where you learn how to use what is available and not counting on help for hours at best. Might be time to see if something like this could be put together.

Bro_Gill

Look for a local offering for a First Responder class. Just a hare short of EMT but doesn't require the licensing at the state level. At a minimum, go get a first aid and CPR class. Those should be available just about anywhere.

Honda48X

My wife owns a small business that provides CPR and First Aid training. We are huge Baja fans and go to many of the races. We would love to put together classes in Baja a few days prior to the race to help out if there is that much of an interest. My wife does a fantastic job and loves helping people prepare for emergencies.

calstyl2

If it could be done in SoCal, how many teams or groups would be interested.
The biggest issue is the removal of the US resources on the race course, its time to get back to some folks working course, rather than a Cruz Roja SUV or van sitting at a highway, unable to get a moto rider 30 miles in.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
I just think your earlier suggestion is far superior, and certified CPR and FA classes are available most everywhere.

There's always plenty to worry about right before a race, a better time to learn is available three hundred other days each year.

hendersoned

... few crews have any available time. :(
No one ever has time, it's inconvenient and so many presume the event organizers and the government will bail them out (I got a cell phone why worry mentality). SNORE required 2 $20 fire extinguishers you should have heard the complaints, head and neck restraints, more complaints (and less injuries) safety vest on everyone in the pits, widely ignored, why do we wait until it's too late to get prepared? You all better have a 72 hour kit at home to, be ready to television care of yourself. Most of the training is free or cheap!

_

No one ever has time, it's inconvenient and so many presume the event organizers and the government will bail them out (I got a cell phone why worry mentality). SNORE required 2 $20 fire extinguishers you should have heard the complaints, head and neck restraints, more complaints (and less injuries) safety vest on everyone in the pits, widely ignored, why do we wait until it's too late to get prepared? You all better have a 72 hour kit at home to, be ready to television care of yourself. Most of the training is free or cheap!
If we are going to change the current mentality, I feel it must start at the top, meaning Team Owners... If team owners take the same interest in the safety and well-being of their employees and volunteers, that these employees and volunteers take in the owners' and drivers' interest in successfully competing in the race, the owners will insist all team members participate in a proper CPR & Emergency First-Aid training program. There are enough free resources available to make this happen at no-cost (other than time) to anyone. Provided you have a large enough group of participants in the class, there are resources available to possibly have training programs at the owner's facility.

There is no question, almost everyone on this forum has had an experience where they could have assisted in one form or another in an emergency situation (race or otherwise) had they had some formal training (even minimal first-aid.) Instead, we are left feeling helpless in a time of crisis and wishing we knew more. Now is the time to address this issue.

Myself, I have been first (or one of the first) on the scene many times over the years and have had the unfortunate necessity to put into practice, basic first-aid and trauma training I have been privileged to over my years. All this training (and annual/by-annual refresher courses) has come at no-cost and I would like to believe several persons have been fortunate in benefiting from my minimal effort and time to insure I am better prepared to help if and when a crisis arrives.

Honda48X

Come on guys, why do you take the time to pre-run before a race? So you can understand the course so you are prepared for the dangers that you may come across. This is no different. Prior to a race everybody should go through a quick refresher on CPR and basic first aid. Remember, first responders that do this type of work on a regular basis have ongoing training with a one year certification. My fire department does quarterly CPR and AED training. Almost everyone on this thread would be considered a lay rescuer which typically will carry a two-year certification. If you don't use those skills within those two years, I promise you they will diminish significantly especially when you need them most.

Mike321

Come on guys, why do you take the time to pre-run before a race? So you can understand the course so you are prepared for the dangers that you may come across. This is no different. Prior to a race everybody should go through a quick refresher on CPR and basic first aid. Remember, first responders that do this type of work on a regular basis have ongoing training with a one year certification. My fire department does quarterly CPR and AED training. Almost everyone on this thread would be considered a lay rescuer which typically will carry a two-year certification. If you don't use those skills within those two years, I promise you they will diminish significantly especially when you need them most.
I agree. How about a long weekend training in January -- MLK weekend?