Salvage Title Question

capnron

Reaction
Let me start by telling you I hit a parked car doing about 15-20 mph in my Ford F-150. It was a minor fender bender that happened to hit my airbag sensors and blast them both off. So I got the insurance guy telling me that my car is a total loss. If you were to look at or drive my truck you would wonder why, but he stated the airbags are a huge liability to fix. Here's a little info on my truck:

Ford F-150
4.2L V-6
MT wheels
Standard Transmission
With AC

So my question is, they are offering me $7800 for the total loss, but I could buy the vehicle back for $2000 and they would give me $5800. I don't really want to fix it, but thought it might be a benefit to someone else that could get a great deal on a perfectly fine truck (minus cutting out the airbags and the slightly bent front bumper).

Is this something i should even look into, or should i just take the full check and let them deal with the truck?

Thanks, capnron

capnron

Reaction
Yeah, i guess that is my question. What is the value of the Salvage Titled truck to someone who knows about this stuff. I mean the truck is in fine driving condition, the alignment is fine, it's just that the airbags deployed. I guess I'll wait and see if it is of value to anyone before making my decision to go with the insurance offer. Thanks dan200.

Offspring

Reaction
These situations do suck, even with the insurance pay-out this will cost you money to replace that truck, or whatever you decide to do. Good luck. I'm sure the guy who owned the parked car was glad you had insurance!! BTW there is no requirement that the bags be re-installed when the truck is put back on the road. They are very expensive to replace and the passenger side usually does damage to the support structures inside the dash.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Selling salvage title vehicles, to a world of skeptics, will make u want to pull ur hair out.

capnron

Reaction
I am starting to think that it will just be easier on myself to let old Clifford "the big red truck" go to a peaceful resting place. It does suck that I am going to end up spending money on top of what they give me, but hey, that's why i have insurance. Thanks for the replies guys.

Havasubud

Reaction
I would buy it back. Then you could sell it outright and probably get 4000 for it. Put it here on RDC and someone will grab it. Also try ebay. Salvage titles don't mean anything if you turn it into a prerunner. I have seen alot of prerunners with salvage titles. I have been looking for a Tundra with a salvage to try and turn into a prerunner, so I am sure someone is looking for an F150. The other thing is, if you are mechnical, you could buy the airbag parts from a salvage yard and put the truck back together. Something to think about. PM me if you have any questions. I have dealt with salvage cars before.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Yea, you should definately get more than 2k for it.

baja619

Reaction
We have done dozens of these type vehicle builds. Wrecks / Salvage Titles / Mexico Recoveries / ect.

Just about anything you can think of we have experienced, fixed, repaired, or refurbished. About 90% the vehicles, after everything is said and done, comes back looking great and in proper working condition. Granted it is no longer a "new" vehicle, but you would be impressed and pleased with the end result.
Cadillacs, Denalis, Super Duty, F-150s, explorers, escapes, saturns, excursions, rangers.... Just about any kind of vehicle you can think of.

I myself am not the expert, however, I have been around long enough to know a bit about the procedure.
I dont know what to tell you about the airbags. I do know you could pony up and get some replacements. No matter where they come from (aftermarket or junk yard) it will cost some $loot$. Either way airbags or a good idea, just a bonus IMO and not totally necessary.

I understand you are not really interested in going through the hassle of waiting for your wheels to be fixed, so this route is not likely for you and you should take the check.

But just throwing it out there. It is affordable to fix it and it is done right.
From the sounds of your incident, your ride still has a bright future as a road worthy truck and not just another prerunner build.

capnron

Reaction
baja619, do you people who buy vehicles that have been repaired but still have a salvage title? I most likely wouldn't even repair the airbag, they did more damage than good. My arm looks like raw bacon from those things. I can't say they didn't help because i was not going fast enough to hit it with my face.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
baja619, do you people who buy vehicles that have been repaired but still have a salvage title? I most likely wouldn't even repair the airbag, they did more damage than good. My arm looks like raw bacon from those things. I can't say they didn't help because i was not going fast enough to hit it with my face.

Throw up some pics and make a craigs list ad and an rdc ad and see if ya get any bites. I bet ya could get more than 2k for it if it as you describe. ANything over the 2k could help offset the replacement costs of whatever you buy next. that would be a win

baja619

Reaction

Not really sure what the question was asking specifically, but yes it goes both ways.

Most or many of the vehicles were purchased from auctions. Some were salvage title some were not. Once the vehicle is issued a salvage titled, than I think it always carries that label. Even after repairs.
The deal is to find a platform where there is opportunity to come up / or profit. Something that can be fixed with minimal investment and labor.

Alex Paterson

Reaction
Most insurance carriers will not insure a salvage vehicle with comp and collision coverage, only liability. So if someone is trying to buy it with a loan they would not be able to get insured to satisfy the loan company. Also, if someone takes the truck to build a prerunner they would only be able to carry liability and not even try to insure it to value.

You may consider parting it out but then you have a pile sitting at your home until its gone. The V6 isn't really worth anything either. Sometimes its better to let it go unless you are experienced with this sort of thing. Now, you could take the $5800 and buy it back and fix it to drive it if you wanted to or not in a position to purchase a new vehicle.

Alex

capnron

Reaction
I will see what the final insurance offer is today. I sent them a reciept for some clutch and slave cylinder work I had done. So they may offer me some more. As of right now it looks like i am going to give it to them and just move on. I have so much other stuff going on that it would just be an addition to the pile and it would be a hassle right now. Thanks for all the info.