Samco Fab Dodge Sand Truck

Samco Fab

Reaction
This is a Dodge we built for my friend Cody, it is primarily built for the sand, but he may want to do some Vorra Short Course, and prerun with it as well.

It is very different from anything else we have built, there is not many trucks like this, mainly the steering and the front suspension are a bit different from most others. I learned a lot with this build, and will learn much more.

We tried to build it "lightweight", but that is an odd task when you are building a truck with a full frame, steel cab, 140 lb NP205 t case and solid axles. It is lighter than what you would build for a full tilt desert race truck, but he is not planning to jump it 150 feet, or beat the hell out of it like you would in a race.

It has 15" of travel up front and 18" in the back, 9" 4130 rear Spidertrax housing, 35 spline semi float rear with an aluminum Strange 3rd member, Dana 44 front, 727 trans. We pushed the engine back about 4" for better weight distribution. It also has Walker Evans fiberglass from Trailer Products.

Cody built a 400+ cubic inch Dodge small block with Indy aluminum heads and intake. It should make about 575 HP.

main.php

main.php

main.php

Samco Fab

Reaction
main.php

main.php

I will post up a few more pics as soon as we download more to our website, thanks for looking.

PreKota

Reaction
omg gorgeous..I have one as well Im waiting to build..one truck at a time lol..

very nice tho..im jealous :D

Scott_F

Reaction
Can you explain the theory of your steering system? Why did you want to/have to relocate your steering box?

Are the sprockets mounted on keyed shafts? Is the chain 520? I would recommend running an O-ring chain, and do not lube it. Clean it and spray it with WD40 or dry graphite. Also, do not run the chain too tight or too loose. haha

I noticed you put a quickener ratio in the sprockets. 1.5:1?

Haycock

Reaction
Can you explain the theory of your steering system? Why did you want to/have to relocate your steering box?

Are the sprockets mounted on keyed shafts? Is the chain 520? I would recommend running an O-ring chain, and do not lube it. Clean it and spray it with WD40 or dry graphite. Also, do not run the chain too tight or too loose. haha

I noticed you put a quickener ratio in the sprockets. 1.5:1?

no bump steer with the drag link the same length at the suspension arm... pretty complex. i think i would have put full hydro but to each their own. very nice work.

Very cool truck! im liking the front suspension. very different and looks like it should work good!

stoprez2006

Reaction
Samco, could you post up some more pics of the front suspension? Looks like it is a really neat design and I would like to see more of it.

Zambo

Reaction
Reason for the steering box location is that it looks like he has a three link type suspension up front, which means that the axle goes straight up and down rather than swinging sideways like it would with a trackbar/panhard bar. Therefor the steering box drag link has to run fore and aft rather than sideways like it is traditionally set up or you will get heinous bump steer. It would be un-drivable that way.

Looks good Sam. You basterds got lucky at the 1000!

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Looks flippin' sweet!!!!

nan2270

Reaction
that is badass love that body style,like the front end with straight axle 4x.ive been looking at those spider traxx rear housings they are a smoking deal.keep it up,more pics...please