San Diego Union Tribune - Baja 1000 Story

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
San Diego Union Tribune ran a story of Team Ramsey in this years Baja 1000.

Attachments

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Thanks Race-Dezert, Klaus and Jeff Archambeau for providing the picture. Notice the credits!

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
The man who wrote the story,Bill Center,has been a big long term fan of off road racing and has always given us great coverage in the San Diego Union.If you get a chance thank him for including us in his motorsports section.

BEERMAN

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Hi Steve,

Do you have a link tot he sotry on-line? As you have reminded, I'd like to thank this journalist. The story is awesome,

PJCinLV

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
I second that, what a great story......

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.socalmotocross.com/vtrracing//>Vtr Racing.com</A>

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
I'm not 100% sure this will work but try this e-mail address for Bill,bill.center@uniontrib.com

BEERMAN

Tom_Willis

Reaction
A great story, it has a very human quality to it, never mentions all the poor defenseless boulders we hurt, and I'm glad it got posted here, because it is the first article I've seen in mainstream media about the B1K. Judging by all the media people who I saw at the start of the race I expected to see stories in SD, OC and LA papers.... Some stranger walked up to me at the start line, stuck a microphone in my face as I was directing the TT's into line, he said he wanted a quote from a SCORE official about off-road racing damaging the Baja environment.... My quote was "if you were concerned about the environment you should have ridden a bicycle to Ensenada, not your daddy's Navigator, bitch"...... Funny, but I haven't seen that in the paper.

I live my life one paycheck at a time

martininsocal

Reaction
Tom- when I moved to Carlsbad in 1987, I was happy to see regular coverage of all the Mexico races and some north of the border too. Class finishers, etc... usually some short blip about who won overall and who some of the local finishers were. The Press-Enterprise does this also, with local interest stories occasionally about Riverside County Based Teams. Even up here in big bear the local rag used to post all of Damen Jefferies latest wins, etc...

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Having ridden in that truck plenty of times, I can assure you that it was in dire need of a makeover. I am utterly amazed that the truck was even able to make it to the start line. My congrates go out to Ramsey and Chris for finishing the race and making it home! Thats some serious driving skills!

See ya in the dirt!

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Steve is correct in stating that Bill Center has been a long time supporter of our sport, and has given plenty of wonderful coverage over the years. He just did a nice write-up on Mike Julson. I really appreciated him writing the story as it will add to the memories of the race for years to come. I called Bill the day after the article to thank him. He can be emailed at bill.center@uniontrib.com, and would appreciate your note of thanks. On the subject of getting more exposure and press coverage for our sport, all I can say is that we have to make the effort. I called Bill at the paper after we got back to San Diego and told him that we had an interesting story he might like to tell. He like the story and said he would like to do an article the following week, and to call him the next Monday. That weekend I wrote down my own recollections of the race and gathered together some of the things Chris had written in various emails and sent them to Bill along with several pictures, including the picture I got from Race-Dezert after talking to Klaus and Jeff. Bill called Tuesday night and conducted an interview over the phone, asking about the race and the things he had read about in the material I had sent. While the story isn't 100% correct (it was 55 gal drums, and they went over the fence) he wrote a great story that anyone, even non-desert people could enjoy. My ex-mother-in-law thought it was irresponsible of me to let him mention the law breaking episodes at the border and on the freeway, but that is just one of the reasons she is an ex-mother-in-law. If you have a good story to tell, call your local paper. They are always looking for a good story.