• Forum membership has its advantages....

San felipe 250 thoughts

rkracing

What does everyone think of this years 250? For me it seemed like the best one in a couple of years. Liked the malecon start, made it easier to get in and out of town plus its way cooler racing through the streets and the dunes. Thanks to all of the crew who helped put on the race!

FlyBoynTN

It was my first SF race but I thought it was great! The course was brutal but then again it is off road racing...

Bajacolorado

Great race! Saw it from 2 spots (25 and 230) . Traffic was much easier with the new format. 50 more entries this year. This race has so many fans that turnout. Such a great event! Qualifying was fun too.

RYAN COHEE

Was their more class 12 cars than 10 cars??

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Great course, 271 miles was awesome, start and finish on the Malecon was awesome, the Stella system worked great passing motorcycles, VCPs were in good locations that allowed us racers flexibility to be creative pre running, great competition, good food, great fans. Just wished we had a better results from the race Luke and I were both having. A 5 star event for me. Thank you SCORE.

BrentB

Always a fun town to race in, our day had its moments. Still wish we drew for start position based on finish from the 1000, I'd probably feel different about it if Kyle raced. Glad we could at least get to the finish, wasn't looking likely.

Baja Bryan

Was not our day in the #114. had problems and set us back over 2-1/2 hours but made it to the finish. Course was rough. We were cruising in the Laguna Diablo 142 Not bad for a buggy with 40" tires.

WhatsApp Image 2017-04-03 at 10.34.36 PM.jpeg

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
How can anything in San Felipe suck?? Unless you are Cameron Steel... lol.. that was the only bummer for me... Rob Mac went by us at 238 and after hearing the 16 was first through check 2... I told my boy.. game over.. the 16 maybe 2 minutes later.. engine didn't sound right .. huge Rob Mac fan.. but I was pulling for Cameron ..

Anger Issues

I think this was my 5th San Felipe race, but none in 5 years (hard to believe) and therefore none with Roger's group. We had a fantastic time and no theft or any other issues. Renting a beach house was awesome but parking was tight. GREAT crowd on the malecon, and starting there was cool and traffic was way better, IMO.

The course is totally junk and exactly what we expected. The massive tires and therefore massive whoops are rough on short wheel-base car... but we knew that coming in. We did eat more at the rental house, which was cool and helped avoid any pre-race "touristas", like one UTV team I heard about, on i.v. fluids before the race.

Everyone at SCORE was helpful (Christine, Lawton, Art, to name a few). I know Roger even sent the helicopter out Sunday to find Chris Raffo when he didn't come back Sat. night.

I am not convinced the Stella is quite figured out... we received false info due to the delays, and sent a team to the wrong location, which resulted in a missing TWO pit stops.

We didn't finish until after midnight and the cops were taking down the barricades and trying to stop me from entering... but the SCORE timing folks were still there, and the guy doing the interviews is a great improvement! (I just think he needs to take some spanish lessons, or at least dialect (pronunciation) lessons, lol! Also, it turns out he is a bit afraid of champagne!! ha ha ha

What a GREAT race for our team, but it helps when you get a win. Thank you SCORE!

PAB

40's rock!
How can anything in San Felipe suck?? Unless you are Cameron Steel... lol.. that was the only bummer for me... Rob Mac went by us at 238 and after hearing the 16 was first through check 2... I told my boy.. game over.. the 16 maybe 2 minutes later.. engine didn't sound right .. huge Rob Mac fan.. but I was pulling for Cameron ..

Thanks

It was the driveshaft plunging and stripped splines you heard, the motor is perfect. Can't believe how it turned out.....Congrats to Rob.

Overall another epic San Felipe.....my suggestions. Sobriety check points and paddy wagons at Hwy 3/5 jct and Morellia rd/5 jct, keep those drinking off the highway. If it's done for a couple of years it will have great impact

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Why did the 2nd San Felipe race not become a yearly thing? Was it simply the bad weather?

Could it do better on a better date as SCORE's other race?

AZ7000'

Wasn't it a last minute add to the schedule when another venue didn't work out? It was in the hottest and most humid time of the year, the power going out in the town just added to the fun!

Malecon start was awesome loved this years race traffic was a huge improvment. had to pass way to many 12 cars Class8 should start in front of 12 cars . Stella was cool for mileage, not sure pass / overtake worked noone got over we used it every pass. awesome time was had by entire team

Chainguide

too many VCPs and some seemed totally unnecessary. Not easy for us bike guys to be looking at our GPS's at race speed.Great race and course,though.

retroblazer

Typical San Felipe course, rough. I have no real complaints, but a couple of observations. First off I liked the Malecon start. I didn't like waiting in line for tech, with my truck, only to have any shmo on a bike or quad, push to the front of the line ahead of everyone else who was waiting. Sure, the bike guys may not have as much to tech, but it still took almost the same time for them to get their Stella units installed....
I miss having the domestic parts trailers present. I was missing a lousy 3" gas cap. There was the one ORW trailer from Mexicali that had hard parts besides PCI's radio gear.
A special thanks to Roger for sending a copter out to find me on Sunday morning. I really thought I was out of my mind when I watched it fly away without me, but an hour later I finally figured it out and drove back.
04052017 055.JPG

Malecon start was great. Getting in and out of town made it soooo much easier to chase. Weather was perfect. Contingency/tech inspection went by real fast, for once. The racing was great. The tacos were delicious and the beer was cold. What more could you want?

dezert_nerd

I didn't like waiting in line for tech, with my truck, only to have any shmo on a bike or quad, push to the front of the line ahead of everyone else who was waiting. Sure, the bike guys may not have as much to tech, but it still took almost the same time for them to get their Stella units installed....
They need to do what BITD does and have a separate line for the moto guys. Makes it easier on everyone.