San Felipe 250

TecateRay

RDC Crypto
Why? Because you get this (see pic) you get 2 helicopters with EMTs and a ton of other safety assets around the course. you are part of a 50 year tradition that includes the Baja 1000. Everyone has heard of the Baja 1000. You get to race against the top teams. You are covered on TV and the SCORE Journal, Cycle News, etc. You get to be in the same race as million $ trophy trucks. You have insurance during prerunning and the race. You have the awesome start finish ramp with interviews. You get commemorative Tequila. There are a ton of reasons. just my humble opinion, lol.
View attachment 246723
You also get course layout, local government liaison, land use permission and payments, course marking and monitoring, border crossing/ customs arrangements, and a host of other things.

Advertising supports this site

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
wheeew!, i thought it was just' pay off a couple of angry ranchers!, i guess a score race is pretty involved, ( sarc)😉

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
All this info and you still have not answered the question. Why can’t the motos race on Friday or Saturday and the rest race on Saturday or Sunday? Prerunning, insurance, blah, blah, still is in play.

This really is a safety issue. Our own Dan the man McMillin just was docked 30 minutes for hitting a moto rider. I don’t know the details or even if it’s true but the front running trucks actually catch a majority of the bikes. Just the way it is now.

Chainguide

RDC Crypto
All this info and you still have not answered the question. Why can’t the motos race on Friday or Saturday and the rest race on Saturday or Sunday? Prerunning, insurance, blah, blah, still is in play.

This really is a safety issue. Our own Dan the man McMillin just was docked 30 minutes for hitting a moto rider. I don’t know the details or even if it’s true but the front running trucks actually catch a majority of the bikes. Just the way it is now.
It would basically double the costs to put on a separate race. It is a concern though and SCORE is willing to try different things, evidenced by the split course at San Felipe this year.

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
It’s not going to cost double. The 60 bike guys are paying over $100 thousand in entry fees. You just said you have over 600 volunteers. Not much cost to SCORE.

Not sure if you are aware of what people make down here but I will give you a little idea.

A San Felipe Police Officer makes just over 10,000 pesos a month. Yep do the math. Slightly over $500 dollars a month. A Security guard at EDR makes $450 dollars a month.

SCORE does not pay what most people think for blocking roads, providing security, etc..

Chainguide

RDC Crypto
It’s not going to cost double. The 60 bike guys are paying over $100 thousand in entry fees. You just said you have over 600 volunteers. Not much cost to SCORE.

Not sure if you are aware of what people make down here but I will give you a little idea.

A San Felipe Police Officer makes just over 10,000 pesos a month. Yep do the math. Slightly over $500 dollars a month. A Security guard at EDR makes $450 dollars a month.

SCORE does not pay what most people think for blocking roads, providing security, etc..
I understand where you are coming from and your heart is in the right place. TT's are getting faster and motos are getting slowed down because of VCPs and beat up courses. If I were to guess, I would bet it takes about 200 entries to break even to put on a SCORE race. Just a guess. Moving the motos to another race day would solve one problem but opens up other problems. It is one possible solution, but then there are also other possible solutions, One thing that I have learned is that every offered up solution brings in new challenges with it. Sometimes those challenges lead you down rabbit holes trying to fix everything and then you need to take a step back and start over fresh again. I personally have enjoyed being in the same race as the cars over the years. It makes us part of the big show, not just an extra nuisance that they have to deal with. I am currently studying this to try and come up with a solution that best suits all concerns. I welcome your ideas for discussion.

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
I liked the SF250 and how towards the end they split the course. Can they do that at every race? I doubt it. I like the 1/2 way through or 3/4 way through moto course cut to give them another half hour or hour ahead of the trucks. Even if they had the pro’s do the full course and all other moto classes use the short cut, that would work for at least the 500 and 1000. At about mile 250 or 300 cut course and make them come out at mile 350 or 400 and give them a good 400 mile race. That 100 mile jump adds some good time to get the majority to the finish before the trucks catch them.

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
I love that Bikes race but at SF250 Jax and I were running 3rd in TT and still caught a lot of bikes and quads. We have to find a way for TTs never catch bikes. ITs a matter of time before we kill someone racing in the dust. Maybe Stella and Racing trax and promoters can send message that you are about to be caught by the lead trucks and your race is over. Time to call it a day and take next access road out. I think it would be easy to monitor and to send a message to bikes.

ITs not just score but same in BITD to. V2R is coming up and I see so many situations dangerous. Last year V2R Jax and I cam up to a 80mph turn that was narrow and a guy was pushing his bike on the course with nowhere to pull off. He did not even look back. Gave me chills to think if we were in a little dust he would be dead.

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
I love that Bikes race but at SF250 Jax and I were running 3rd in TT and still caught a lot of bikes and quads. We have to find a way for TTs never catch bikes. ITs a matter of time before we kill someone racing in the dust. Maybe Stella and Racing trax and promoters can send message that you are about to be caught by the lead trucks and your race is over. Time to call it a day and take next access road out. I think it would be easy to monitor and to send a message to bikes.

ITs not just score but same in BITD to. V2R is coming up and I see so many situations dangerous. Last year V2R Jax and I cam up to a 80mph turn that was narrow and a guy was pushing his bike on the course with nowhere to pull off. He did not even look back. Gave me chills to think if we were in a little dust he would be dead.

What's even crazier are the bikes who sign up knowing they will get caught, ha.

Kind of like the same ignorance the fans exhibit. It's your life ! Do it up!

I was that guy once. Always started or rode middle so I never had to deal with it but my team mates did once in 18 and they didn't like it.

Chainguide

RDC Crypto
I have recently done some comparisons by looking at the GPS tracks between the speeds of the top TTs vs those of the lead bikes vs some of the slower ironman motos. I was amazed at the speed those TTs are carrying. I mean in areas that are not the typical dry lake bed, but in places I thought the motos would have more of an advantage. Hopefully from good data, comes good solutions. Stay tuned...

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I have recently done some comparisons by looking at the GPS tracks between the speeds of the top TTs vs those of the lead bikes vs some of the slower ironman motos. I was amazed at the speed those TTs are carrying. I mean in areas that are not the typical dry lake bed, but in places I thought the motos would have more of an advantage. Hopefully from good data, comes good solutions. Stay tuned...
Data-driven decisions are what we need! Thanks for doing the legwork.

BajaboundMoto

RDC Crypto
Website
bajaboundmoto.com
Qualify the bikes . If you do not make the max time you dont race
Good call.
And while they're at it they can mix up the start order fastest to slowest. Doing that (happened 1 time) keeps the flow going better not having faster guys bogged down in the dust of slow guys, especially with these night starts. Safer and faster.

Also, most bike guys (and I'm a bike guy) are IDIOTS when they think they're getting clear of the cars. They're not clear at all and they wait too long to move.
There's a decent 2 movies that were made by a private party bike guy recently about him and his son racing the 1000 and the 2nd movie was him soloing.... Holycrap I couldn't believe how many times he SHOULD have been ran over. He'd barely get off the edge and crash. I'm amazed he hasn't been hit, and he has a LOT more experience in Baja than many out there.

THE_SCOTTS

RDC Crypto
Good call.
And while they're at it they can mix up the start order fastest to slowest. Doing that (happened 1 time) keeps the flow going better not having faster guys bogged down in the dust of slow guys, especially with these night starts. Safer and faster.

Also, most bike guys (and I'm a bike guy) are IDIOTS when they think they're getting clear of the cars. They're not clear at all and they wait too long to move.
There's a decent 2 movies that were made by a private party bike guy recently about him and his son racing the 1000 and the 2nd movie was him soloing.... Holycrap I couldn't believe how many times he SHOULD have been ran over. He'd barely get off the edge and crash. I'm amazed he hasn't been hit, and he has a LOT more experience in Baja than many out there.
What are the films called?