San Felipe Observations

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Just wanted to open a thread so those of us fortunate enought to make it to SF can share with the rest of the group here.

Here are a few of mine:

- Contingency was huge. It seemed as 2x as many people as last year!
- the Vildosola TT , very nice.
- AJ in the Herbst TT taking the time to chat with local kids selling pics
- the Temecula Msports chopper chasing their quad (see video in our section)
- probably the closest ProTruck race I've ever seen! Those guys were moving!
- All of my "cousins" on Zoo Road
- The sunrise @ 6am from Pete's on race morning
- hearing the race stories from all the racers and their dedicated crews that evening
- cervezas with Bob Bower and Guy Peterson
- Jeff and Klaus in the "Exploder"
- All of the friends, old and new, and the magic that is Mex! (wink, wink!)

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
This was deffinetly the most fun I have ever had.

-Helping JC Andrews, Chasing/Pitting, Finishing 3RD
-Getting Lost On Way To Our Driver Change
-Having Herbst Come Flying By Being On The Outside Of A Turn (DOH!)
-Talking With Damen Jefferies
-Camping At Petes Camp
-Watching The Crazy Locals Playing Chicken With Trophy Trucks At Zoo Road!
-Watching The Great Protruck Race!

Can't Wait Till Next Year!!

Go Big Or Go Home

Tom_Willis

Reaction
This was my first time in San Felipe. In the past either my finances or my primary transportation was not up to the challenge. This little town is cool. Good food, hotties aplenty, warm weather, what's not to like. The Start/Finish area was mayhem, as usual. The highlight of my weekend was getting a short ride on the driver's side of the PCI trophy truck up to the start line. Thanks, Scott, even at 5 mph that is quite the ride.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
To paint a pic of the scenery for all of those who did not get to go to SF:
SF, specifically Pete's Camp, was one of the most beautiful places I've been! Not only was I privileged enough to go down there with such a great group of racers (Elite Motorsports - thanks guys!) and enjoy the excitements of being involved in yet another Baja race, but I was completely overwhelmed with the beauty of the camp itself! Wed & thurs were absolutely gorgeous and although it got a little windy and chilly for the rest of the weekend, the waterfront was awesome - you could actually walk with the shore as it receded almost a quarter mile! The sunsets as well as the way the moon's light glared on the water were more beautifully romantic than anything here in good old smoggy Cali! Advice is to plan on going there (with your significant other, if you've got one) if you haven't been already - race or no race!

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Sherry,

are you talking about this waterfront ?

toyoter91

Reaction
daaaamn thats pretty tight. my chick would have loved that if we had gone.

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

JasonHutter

Reaction
We (Paul and I, Fire Guys Racing) drove down from Colorado (we weren't the only ones, I saw a lot of Colorado plates down there) took about 18 hours one way.

-we went out to pre-run our chase routes on Thursday and ran into the Loco Mocos guys. You guys rock, we had fun kicking around with you and thanks for the help finding our way!
-on the way out from pre-running our chase routes, the Locos Mocos guys talked us into leaving through Matomi Wash. That was spectacular, I can't believe how beautiful that is down there.
-contingency was awesome, we met a lot of people there. It was great to meet and talk to Bekki Freeman, and her crew. Bekki is a great gal!
-It was good to talk to you again Bob Bowers, thanks again for helping out with the MMB. By the way, do you have Erin's phone number!?! j/k hahah well not really!
-JC and crew, you guys are way too cool! I am glad we found you and were able to meet. Thanks for the BEERS! I will be sending your Fire Guys Racing shirt with Austin's.
-All the food we ate at Pete's Camp was great!
-The Hacienda we stayed at off Zoo Rd. was awesome! He is a sponsor for the 1600 car of Jake Manness that we were chasing for. Some of the best hospitality we have ever recieved.
-The race was great, the only problem with the car was a shifter problem. Thanks to the guy from the Mag 7 pit who walked over and helped out with the problem. We owe you some beer!
-We were able to put one of Jakes spare tires on the 1403 car to help him continue his race at race mile 148. He ended up winning!
-Oh yeah, I can't forget. Jake's sponsor let us take his 4 seat Chenowith out for a spin after the race. We took it up to the first Zoo Rd. crossing and went north for a little while. Wow was that cool, I wish our 7s would skip through those woops at 70+ miles an hour!
-We took two days coming home, much better way to do it!
-I already miss the weather down there, It isn't snowing today, but it is everywhere! I suppose that is good and bad!

Jason

rdc

Reaction
Yep, Klaus - that's the one!!! I want that pic for my desktop!!!

firedog

Reaction
Jason you for got going head on with the lost Grier TT on Zoo road. I don't ever want to see a TT coming head on at 70++ MPH while he is sliding a corner into our lane. We almost ditched it into the desert but he gathered it up and got back into his lane.

poolman

Reaction
Sherry don't tell all your friends.Thats Arizona's secret beach.

poolman

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
The really bitchin part is driving your truck on the sea floor! Back in '94 we set up a little short track about 300 feet out from the shore...We were camped near Los Dolphinas just before you enter town. Some of the most fun I have ever had...except when I had to clean my truck.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
We tryed that on Saturday but it didnt work so well for us :) We got stuck for a while and I dont remember getting out heh. I just remember the water coming upto the truck.

Go Big Or Go Home

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Jason,

Good to hear you and your crew made it back safe.
Perhaps that is not the last you've seen of Ms. Erin!
There IS a MMB II planned, you know.....

-Gabe

rdc

Reaction
You know of those secret desert beaches??? SSSHHHH! Don't tell anybody else about them - just take me there!

rdc

Reaction
Did you get to see those quads that really badly wanted to ride out to the shore line towing their trailers? They looked pretty good for a while until a little later all that was visible were about 5 flashlights and a bunch of feet scramming to get the quads out of the mush! I felt bad for those guys but had to laugh! It LOOKED safe, but kinda crept up on a lot of ppl like quick sand!

poolman

Reaction
Sherri there really are some killer beachs about 4 hours from PHX.You can camp on them drive on them and not see another person all weekend if you want.Ask Junior

You only live once,and if you lived like I have, once is enough.Frank Sinatra

rdc

Reaction
Being from Tucson, San Felipe is not our closest beach, but it by far our favorite. San Felipe has a very relaxed, laid back feel to it. I always have a good time while there. Contingency was really busy and alot of fun. Never saw so many familiar faces. We stayed at El Cortez for the first time, and I was very impressed. We actually could park our race truck right at our front door. We kind of had a little casita. Only the last day did we not have a lot hot water for showers, I was impressed. We also had 5 American TV channels to entertain the 7 year old. Worked on the truck most of Friday morning, tested it out our back door practically and then drove to tech and back to our front door. Had great food at the hotel and down at Pete's Camp. The most excellent Garlic Shrimp at Petes. Went racing Saturday, not very good luck, but it's always an adventure in San Felipe. Little get together at a friend's casa at Pete's, Steamers on the Grill, how much better can it get. No hassels from the three check points we went thru on the way home. And they opened the bus gate at the Mexicali crossing for us, didn't even ask us if we were US citizens, just let us drive on thru, took a whole 10 minutes. Another San Felipe experience for the books. If I would complain about anything it was the wind, and it wasn't as warm as last year. Can't have everything.

Ellen D

frankh

Reaction
Well we headed down Wednesday after work got there about 3AM Thursday. Got up at 7 had a great breakfast at George’s and headed out to pre-run from 115 m to end, Saw a lot of friends and meet some new ones. Thanks to the Riviera chase crew for gas (broke the header right before the O2 sensor and use more gas than norm).Tech on Friday and got all the chase crews loaded up. Race day went great no flats, no problem. We stopped the car one time for fuel and driver change. I would like to thank everyone that came down to help us. We had 8 pits set up. Everyone was right where they were said they would be. We ended up third for the day. The only problem is that lonnnng drive home.

Again thanks to everyone that helped. See you at Ridgecrest.

Frank Hines
N2S Racing

scott

Reaction
My Highlight was Gabe tapping me on the back at contingency, and saying what's up??? Chanate Wash was a highlight completely, from the 4 a.m. wake up to leave to 4 pm when we got in. RM 130 The Bro Jerry Whelchel ( Riviera TT #3) putting pressure on Vildosola TT#4 having them nail a microwave size rock ripping the rear-end housing out from the 3rd member. Temecula Motorsports Chopper 20 feet off the ground below the canyon flying backwards....awesome!!!! The trip out of Chanate with all the broken race cars we helped with what we had.... Kia TT #9, two flats at one time,
Car #1211, 11 gallons of fuel , Cervantes Class 7 helped a couple of times. Same thing with a 7s Ranger #726 with a blown head gasket and the motor was smoked, gave him 3 gallons of water. He got out of the wash but not quite to Morella Road. Vildosola's rear end axles were being pryed by jack handles to get them out. Sorry, we didn't have the equipment. And last Craig Corda in the Class 8 Ford, with the stripped distributor gear and they needed a Jump...with some water and sandwich's, and sent them on their way to finish....Glad to see they did !!!!! All in all, A Great Trip !!!!!!!