San Felipe Stories ???

scott

Reaction
Somewhere in California, between L.A./ S.D.
Website
N
Anyone out there with stories, or something they saw ??? Congrats to TT 99..... Ronnie Gilliespie driving the second half for Nick and keeping up even with a transmission going down by Puertocito's/ Matomi area.... Quick repair and a 5th in TT......

mexracer10

Reaction
I saw a class 12 looked like the old lettner car, black car and orange stickers, at mile 11 he slamed into the power tower and ripped off the resivore of the right rear side. He left the tower pretty mangled, other than that pretty typical san felup.

GBoyer

Reaction
Website
www.genuineweb.com
Went pre-running Tuesday morning, came across the 152 mile marker and found a group of guys around Kellon Walch on the ground with a broken leg. Kellon was out in the middle of Mexico with a broken leg for about an hour crawling with pain trying to wave down people as they go by. At the time we got there they were looking for a sat phone to call out to get chopper to fly him out but no luck there... We didn't have one on us; we waited around for awhile waving guys down looking for a sat phone to borrow. Finally some guy came around in a 4 seater with a sat phone, he called around contacted Sal, Ed herbst, they couldn't do anything for us. There were no choppers in Mexico at the time. They got a hold of the Mexican paramedics finally and they arrived 5 hours later in a 4x4 ford f 150 and took him away to the hospital.

Hopefully you’re okay Kellon good luck in future races.

y2kbaja

Reaction
I saw TT#16 roll at Rm14. Looked like the rear shock broke sending the truck into a 1.5 endo. Truck landed with on it's side with the roof towards the oncoming. There were a bunch of locals that put it on it's wheels now with the dirvers door towards race traffic. Fortunately there was no one coming and he was able to clear the course before the next truck came. Could have been ugly.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
WildCat said:
I saw that there was a lot of water at Matomi. Did anyone have problems in that area ???

There was no water in Matomi, just the usual rocks and very tight spaces to pass through.

mesquito_creek

Reaction
I wish I had the car numbers to make this story more personal, but I will go with generic descriptions and if the drivers can identify themselves, more better!

A group of a dozen of us yearly specators camped out at our normal spot approximately RM 34 ish, just past the big hole at RM30. Race day, we are just coming down off the adrenaline of seeing the first tighly spaced groups of Trophy Trucks come through, the first Rivera truck, closely followed by the others. Never have I seen them so closely space within seconds of each other.

Several Class 1s have passed us now, as we peer down for the next car, ITS TWO buggies, and there isn't room for two!! BAM!!! the lead front car (Red/orangish) EXPLODES a BIG cactus/bush as the both keep fighting for the line. The track gets wide enough for both of them and the trailing buggy (blue/purplish) blasts by to make the past. MID pass before he's clear we give him the big arm pump in the air for the spectacular show,... Driver is calm and cool and gives us the quick wave, just before clearing the car and speeding away!!!!! ONLY IN BAJA!!!

gwm

Reaction
Website
www.lecheroracing.com
I heard a story about Scott McMillin pushing through cactus to make a pass early on in the race, but I can't say if this is the same incident.

JL Gomez

Reaction
100 Meters before Zoo Road Jump, I saw a quad hitting a bunch of spectarors after the rider lost the control of his quad, at least 3 spectarors was involved in the incident plus the rider.

It was pretty scary see that accident

I don't know the actual condition of the injured people, the rider its OK

mesquito_creek

Reaction
Maybe someone can help me out with this also. I will present it as a story from this past weekend:

I was parked at RM 34 and trying to pick up the weatherman on my RSpro95 scanner on 151.625 mhz... I only picked up two people calling in injuries to the weatherman, but never heard him broadcast race information? any Idea what I was doing wrong? I also tries scanning from 150-155?...

gwm

Reaction
Website
www.lecheroracing.com
Mesquito:
You were on the correct channel. I've been listening to Weatherman for years on scanners (and people who can't control their mikes should do the same.) If you were using a handheld scanner I've found them to be very sensitive to battery voltage. Once the voltage drops a little you will lose the signal. You would still pick up transmissions that were initiated very close to you but not the far ranging stuff. Beyond that you should have picked it up. Radio coverage of this race is typically very good.

George.

LENNY

Reaction
Some one had a paint ball gun at the end of the race. At least the first 10 finshers were hit on the right side. We had four hits on us two were kills never saw the shoter

mexracer10

Reaction
That jack ass who was shooting the race cars will get his soon enough hopefully. The trophys were all ready shot up at mile 11 so the fool prolly was hiding in the crowd at zoo road. Man only if iknew who it was...........

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
scott said:
I heard a rumor @ contingency some dude sharpie'd the hood of TT 97 BJ Baldwin entry ??????????????

i rememeber seeing that it was way late in the day though. they were trying to scrub it off in front of rockadiles.

Gregg

RanchoRacer1600

Reaction
i saw the the class 12 hit the electric tower also at mile 11. went over to investigate and pick up my cousin julian who was on the tower filiming when the car hit. got there and talked to the guy. no broken or bent arm, just looks like it hit on the resevoir only.
soon after a car pulled up and me plus my friend marc had to change the tire, marc almost got ran over in the process by a 1/2-1600 car. fun race, cant wait till we race in april at the code san felipe

5_guy

Reaction
Upland, CA. Parker,AZ. ST. Catherines, Ontario
Website
www.candoracing.com
LENNY said:
Some one had a paint ball gun at the end of the race. At least the first 10 finshers were hit on the right side. We had four hits on us two were kills never saw the shoter

Lenny, funny you should mention that. I did in fact see the shooters near the end, so decided to move over oh so slightly and took out there chairs and ice chest at about 102 mph.

Racbaja

Reaction
Website
www.bajacoalition.net
I was at mile marker 40-45 and could not pick up the weatherman either and I have a 100 watt moterola. I left home after all the cars came through and I saw a lot of carnage on the side of the highway from auto accidents, everybody is such in a damn hurry to get to San Felipe on race day.