san felipe to gonzaga bay

power8888

thinking of making the trip form sf to gonzaga bay, never been there, looks beautiful, how long does it take, how bad is the road and is there gas and diesel there, also is there many places to stay? any names and phone numbers of hotels would be apprieciated, thanks

PAB

40's rock!
thinking of making the trip form sf to gonzaga bay, never been there, looks beautiful, how long does it take, how bad is the road and is there gas and diesel there, also is there many places to stay? any names and phone numbers of hotels would be apprieciated, thanks
Yes hold for full run down...

Email for reservations at Alphoninas alfonsinas@hotmail.com

Gonzaga is epic and there are some cool places along the way. Last I was there, May, the paved road went 7 miles past Puertocitos so that leaves like 60 miles of dirt. It's a darn good road but will give you some teeth rattle after a bit but there are some cool bays to check out on the way.

I'm not the full Gonzaga expert but I know it is hot there now but if it cools down you can hike up the old trail that the Jesuits used to access the Mission up near Santa Ynez (Catavinia). Lots of talk about making this friendly on dirt bikes but doubt it anytime soon.

BigBro

Yes hold for full run down...

Email for reservations at Alphoninas alfonsinas@hotmail.com

Gonzaga is epic and there are some cool places along the way. Last I was there, May, the paved road went 7 miles past Puertocitos so that leaves like 60 miles of dirt. It's a darn good road but will give you some teeth rattle after a bit but there are some cool bays to check out on the way.

I'm not the full Gonzaga expert but I know it is hot there now but if it cools down you can hike up the old trail that the Jesuits used to access the Mission up near Santa Ynez (Catavinia). Lots of talk about making this friendly on dirt bikes but doubt it anytime soon.
Cam is right on, Gonzaga is truly epic!

If your party can't decide what to eat on the menu @ Alfonsinas, go for the buffet, they will hook you up, be ready for the epic grind! :D

Cheers

jo maoma

Heisenberg
when in Gonzaga Bay i always stop for some grub at Papa Fernandez's (the turns a couple miles north of the Alponsinas turn)
if it was good enough for John Wayne it's good enough for me. (check out the pics in the restaurant) if you feel like camping
Campo Beluga a mile south of Alponsinas rents palapas and has flush toilets and showers....

PAB

40's rock!
when in Gonzaga Bay i always stop for some grub at Papa Fernandez's (the turns a couple miles north of the Alponsinas turn)
if it was good enough for John Wayne it's good enough for me. (check out the pics in the restaurant) if you feel like camping
Campo Beluga a mile south of Alponsinas rents palapas and has flush toilets and showers....
My Dad is always talking Papa Fernandez! John Wayne's favorite!

randy s

before you get to either papas or alphonsinas, you can stop for a cold one at punta bufeo. nice place.

charlie_brown

just before the turn left to gonzaga bay, stop by the store across the street and pick up some gonzaga bay stickers.

bajaford

sf to gonzaga 112+- miles. first 50+ paved and fast. past puertocitos where the asphalt stops is the roughest section. just plan on slow going for an hour or so. the road opens up at huerfonito (sp) ... and you can cruise the last 15-20 miles at 40+ (big open dirt and gravel). any 2 wheel drive truck is fine. plan on 3 hours from san felipe. gas and diesel is there. stay at alfonsinas (fish and shrimp cooked any way you want it). when you get there get your fuel first before going out to the hotel (sometimes they just close up for a few hours, and this might not agree with your next day travel plans). a great place to just kick it! you'll be back for sure.

ChrisW

You should take Old Puertocitas Road and you won't have so much pavement...make sure you stop at the Cowpatty for a beer...enjoy it now because they seem to be working fairly quickly on paving the road...

Stuck Sucks

A couple shots of the road, starting with just south of Puertocitos:

Plus a bonus shot:

Lord Green

South of Puertocitos, the 'new' road goes over what used to be called the 'three sisters'. If you watch to the east of the new road, you can see the old road on the opposite hillside. It used to be really rugged getting over those hills. On the new road the washboard can really cause some greif if everything isn't tight, but it's worht the trip.

mattafact

I tried making the trip in July and my battery took a dump at the abandoned house overlooking the Sea of Cortez. I had to get towed by a cement mixer for a couple hours before we found a battery that would fit my truck. I think we're going to try the trip again in the next couple weeks. Epic trip for sure.

When are you going?

m80ondirt

I have never been south of Puertocitos. We have a house at km 37 just south of santa maria. Would this make a good day trip or would an overnight stay be a better idea?

Tim_Price

I'm headed down to Gonzaga Bay on Sept 26 with Loco Mocos buddy Steve Broz. We'll send in a report and maybe some photos. But I gotta say, even if the road is total crap, it's still going to be heaven! Punta Bufeo, Papa Fernandez, Rancho Grande, Alfonsinas, Campo Beluga, Punta Final,might even make it to Coco's Corner....

coolerking

We Hilltoppers went down at the end of may,and the road/graded stuff was about 40 miles from gonzaga, give or take a few...pretty sad to see it happen..the previous attempts at paving/grading the road were not very sucessful, heavy rain in the washes did lots of damage, this time they have decided to just blast it right through the hills back away from the washes a bit, so it looks like its going to finally happen. the amazing thing was when i was riding back i noticed that the survey guys had drawn a couple of white lines up and down the cliffs and hills to give the blasters and their crews an idea of where they were going, from what i saw they will need LOTS of blasting caps....

ONE_RJ

This is one of the coolest overnight trips you can do and it comes out to Hwy 1 to head North towards home (Of course after you stop and say hello to Coco).The market across from the Pemex in Gonzaga also carries gas, welds and will fix flats, rent tools etc... the market has a great supply of food, beer and hard alcohol as well as souviners,they welcome offroaders as well as Alfonsinas. Please drive slow and respect the locals and dont drive on the airport runway. Pleanty of places to stop and camp beachside along the way, but stoping for a meal & room and enjoying the area is the best idea.

coolerking

This is one of the coolest overnight trips you can do and it comes out to Hwy 1 to head North towards home (Of course after you stop and say hello to Coco).The market across from the Pemex in Gonzaga also carries gas, welds and will fix flats, rent tools etc... the market has a great supply of food, beer and hard alcohol as well as souviners,they welcome offroaders as well as Alfonsinas. Please drive slow and respect the locals and dont drive on the airport runway. Pleanty of places to stop and camp beachside along the way, but stoping for a meal & room and enjoying the area is the best idea.
i second the dont ride on the runway and raise you a dont ride down the beach from alfonsinas to the 270/90 runway...