Sand car and Gas bump Stops

Xtate

Reaction
Does an A arm sand car ( rear engine LS ) need or could benefit from gas bump stops ? I have looked at two different sand cars, both high dollar rigs, nether one has any type of positive suspension stop ie A arm to frame. The only thing stopping the bump travel is the shock it's self. I do not get it, what am I missing?

Goatpoker

Reaction
Absolutely. Most cars try to use the bypass as a bump zone. This results in typically over doing the compression valving to handle g-outs. Then you get a harsh ride.

Bump stops would allow lighter valving in the shocks for better ride quality but still have control on big hits

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Goatpoker

Reaction
Forgot to mention, most drivers never push it hard enough to need it though. Just driving to the hill for beers....

Xtate

Reaction
I have always believed that you need some type of positive stop before your shocks bottom out and or your springs bind, this just seems like common sense , so it baffle me when looking at these center bulk head big A arm cars that are using the limit of the shock travel as the suspension stop.

Xtate

Reaction
The New Car that we are most focused on, the few times it been out this season is handling good in the whoops however landing off a jump is too harsh also coming down out of large bowls on the gas at the transition at the bottom where the sand changes direction ( that little dip ) the front is bottoming out hard, makes you want to get off the gas ,the last thing we want to do. This is what we are trying to tune for. The owner and I went over the car tonight and decided to adjust the bypasses a little more before this big weekend at Glamis. We will see how it does, maybe we need to send the bypasses back to king to revalve. It will be a lot of work to fab frame work to hold bump cans in the right spot.

Goatpoker

Reaction
What size are the bypasses?

I am finding that the adjustment range in a 3 tube 2.5 is not enough for my driving style. So, if I want it Cadillac comfy for the wife and kids... I can't stiffen it enough for Robby Gordon play time. You might me able to get away with a 5 tube 3 or 3.5.

If I build another light sand car I will go coil over and bumps only. No bypass.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
What tube layout? Traditional King or Fox style?

To get enough base valving in them and not have them be harsh in the mid stroke you will need the Fox tube layout.

Xtate

Reaction
I am sure it is traditional King, but to tell you the truth I do not know the difference between a king and a fox tube layout, do you have any photos ? thanks

Dezert00Taco

Reaction
What size are the bypasses?

I am finding that the adjustment range in a 3 tube 2.5 is not enough for my driving style. So, if I want it Cadillac comfy for the wife and kids... I can't stiffen it enough for Robby Gordon play time. You might me able to get away with a 5 tube 3 or 3.5.

If I build another light sand car I will go coil over and bumps only. No bypass.

A coil over and bump would be the wrong way to go. Small coil over and a bypass is the way to go

Goatpoker

Reaction
I can't seem to get enough bump control out of that set up. It blasts right through the compression zones. Almost don't feel them. Thinking a bump stop would have more positive stop