Sand Fleas?

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
I know this has been brought up before. I was looking at all the cool videos and pictures from the San Felipe 250. I cant help but see, and predict, there is going to be a serious accident. Jeeeez! People are getting way outta hand there at the Zoo Road. Jumping in front of a Trophy Truck coming at you at speed isnt the brightest thing to do. Than trying to get out of the way at the last second. People need to get a grip and stay out of the way. That is just plain foolish. If someone has a problem and loses it,there is going to be some carnage. That is not a good promotion for the sport of off road racing. Am I looking at this wrong or just a party pooper? On another note, great pictures in the photo section and thanks to all who contributed.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.socalmotocross.com/vtrracing//>Vtr Racing.com</A>

robert_encinas

Reaction
i felt the same way about the video. their is no reason to get that close to any of the race cars , that is what the zoom feature is for on your vid. camera. nobody wants to have to pay for a spectator ticket and end up sitting in bleachers to view a race , like laughlin, but this is where its heading.it is exciting to be that close to a moving race vehicle trust me i know and have been their , more than once. looking at it this way ,whats 10 more feet back? be safe and have fun.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
i have many video shots of (very) near misses, most of which are in baja.
it only takes common sense to not jump in front of race vehicles/bikes. however, these people, most of which are mexican, just like me, do not have common sense. this type of ignorance is not only seen at the races but also through daily life, with subjects ranging from politics to everyday driving. *nods*
Im not saying all people of mexican heritage are this way, but perhaps, only those of us that go "to the races" and jump in front of trophy trucks are.

[/rant]

did i miss anything?

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
At Zoo road this year, we set up farther back than last year (already a good distance) and used a lot of zoom. I noticed two types of people there. The brazen, matadors that get as close to the vehicles as possible and the safety concious people. I had conversations with the later, many of whom were set up where we were. Once even scolded me because he thought we were too close to the course.

As for the first category, it goes without saying that the majority were local people of Baja but, I gotta tell you that a lot of them were caucasians. If you look at some of the footage taken by the very people that post on this board, you'll see how rediculously close they were. An example, is the mad scurrying with the camera still on "record".

So, I really don't think that any single ethnic group has the market share on "lack of common sense".

PJCinLV

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I'll agree with ya Pat. I got my toes roosted over by a 1 car and after that...I handed the camera over and drank beer in a chair 10 ft back. Not saying I didnt get good footage, but I could have got similar footage from a few feet back. Also my dumb reasoning was to get close only for TT and Class 1 since that is what people want to see and those drivers usually have the most experience...but even a couple TTs I didnt trust and backed up for...none of the TT guys who post here though. EJR, Beerman, and Scott I was right there with the camera rollin and cheering them on.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
I have to add that even when I thought I was okay once, I was not far enough away. I was shooting on the back stretch at Laughlin where there are a lot of lines and whoops that cause cars and trucks to make new lines. The Ashley/Smith truck came within 5 feet hauling ass!. This footage is on the Fleshwound teaser and will be on their full length video. Needless to say, I don't stand there any more.

if ya really wanna get close get a POV cam "Point of View" and put it on a stick. I think Victor has the low budget line on these little gems and you can also talk to the guys at www.actionsportcams.com

PJCinLV

SDranger

Reaction
PJC- is the fleshwound teaser on the net? i looked all over and couln't find it. Do you know when the movie is coming out? Their website isn't very helpful. Thanks

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
The people are way to close, but I don't want to be the person to tell a drunk mob to move back away from the course! This is the biggest day of the year for S.F. and these people want to experience it literally first hand. Plus, given the numbers involved, I don't think you could really "close" the course and make it more like Laughlin. In the U.S. you have laws and the BLM to scare people into obedience. I don't think Mexico has the resources to accomplish that.

I remember watching the video and seeing someone who waited until that last possible second to move out of the way and then he slipped and almost fell, coulda been real ugly......

See ya in the dirt!

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
This behavior at the Zoo Road is nothing new. Back when I was a SCORE guy we used to try and control this situation. One year I even hauled some armed soldiers out there. The people still wouldn't move back.

Just another of the differences between racing in the USA and Baja!

Reese

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Nothing's changed. Crowd control is an illusion in Mexico. That's why I said Fu*k It to working roadcrossings and checkpoints down there. Start/Finish has the biggest crowds, but the nice police are always around (usually near the Tecate Girls) to beat on the unruliest of the unruly. I think it's called Mexican Justice.

Live your life like a Budweiser commercial

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
I know its been pretty crazy for a while. I remember off the start of the 87 Baja 1000 the motor siezed right off the start. The road leading out of Ensenada was crammed with people all the way out of town and we were to ride all the way up the highway to Ojos because of some issues in the wash in town. Our pit crew got word of our situation and finally got to us but while we were waiting with our bike. The local kids peeled just about every sticker off the bike and were trying to take gloves, helmets or whatever they could get their hands on. Had to get a little nasty with em to back off but like you said its a pretty scarey situation with a mob around. The Zoo road has been a Zoo for a long time, just seems the people are getting more brazen.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.socalmotocross.com/vtrracing//>Vtr Racing.com</A>