Sand Mats.

bobylax

Why don't all teams carry sand/snow traction mats, especially on western Nevada race courses that are known for silt and soft terrain? Is it space requirements or just thinking there's not a need? Saw a 7200 truck and a Jeepspeed pull off course for mechanical reasons along the pole line road just up from me, after pit 2. They both buried themselves trying to get back on course, losing at least 1 hour each, spending a ton of energy trying to dig themselves out, and ultimately having to be towed back onto the course. I drove backwards on the course in the morning prior to the race to check markings, and if I hadn't had 4x4, I would have been stuck just trying to turn around. Just curious.

DeRaRa

I've noticed allot more teams are starting to use them in off-road racing, its probably a packaging issue as to why their not more common, better than using the bed sides.

SolaidJeff

In this years 1000 we got stuck in the silt at @RM590. Thank goodness we had our Maxtrax strapped to the truck!

51rcr

Iam more surprised lots don't have a winch and a pull pal also. fast and easy especially with a little practice and having it all mounted for easy access and removal.

Chris Tobin

I would think weight is the prohibitive factor in adding winches to most race cars... That and there isn't a lot to hook that winch cable to in the middle of a huge silt field!

Chris Tobin

My sell through rate on maxx traxx is pretty good. I bring them to every event and usually sell out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm hoping I won't need them with my 4WD Duramax truck, but I will probably carry a set nonetheless...

dan200

#BSF200
I'm hoping I won't need them with my 4WD Duramax truck, but I will probably carry a set nonetheless...
Fun fact-
If you have them you don't ever need them.
If you don't have them you'll need them multiple times.
Somehow owning these makes you a better driver (which makes no sense even though it's been scientifically proven.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BANNED4LIFE

ultra 4 racer at the 1000 told me HE was stuck in the silt and had to be pulled out......so anything is possible..

johndjmix

I have thought about a super lightweight small winch with synthetic line, but after thinking about it - winches should NEVER be allowed on race vehicles. Imagine if it caught on, winch lines strung across a course then the TT’s come through. What a mess that would create.

—john

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

51rcr

You guys have lots to learn about winching wand what they are and can do. Thanks to warn and you Missed Pullpal, look them up and see what they are it will solve the what to hook to thing. Its better then digging a hole and putting a spare tire in the ground or driving stakes. With our stuff we pulled right out in the silt. Moved over a silt bed row and strapped out an 11 that was jacking up and pushing it over. We used a 4500# warn because of its size and power to weight and with synthetic rope, plus we know how to winch and can do lots with that size with some general winching knowledge. Also the jeep is over 5000# with 32" tires and a dana 60 hanging low. Theres some out there in use you just dont know it. Wait till ya use the set up and see how fast it is. Or ya can keep digging and jacking and trying to get board under it to spin on and go 4 feet. We helped a 4wd jeep speed that got stuck by our pit for 45 minutes to get out, turtled up good, bet he wished he had a winch and pulpal and a shovel. He did have a jack and ramps though.
We didn't plan on needing it but we go prepared and ya never know ya may wind up in a ravine or tipped over with no one but yourselves. Once we lost our front 4wd we sure didn't go in silt so good. Spare battery and jump pack also so if it was tipped over we could get I righted before we were out of power we hoped.
No one practices digging and getting unstuck with there tools Theres lots of tools and multiple ways to do them. You can do some amazing stuff and get creative with winches.
Pull-Pal winch anchor, foldable land anchors for 4x4, Jeep, ATV, UTV, off-road, all-terrain-vehicles

EOR1488

How much does that boat anchor and winch, line, wiring, bracket weigh if it was all together set up for a race truck?

51rcr

How much does that boat anchor and winch, line, wiring, bracket weigh if it was all together set up for a race truck?

about 31# each so we will say 90#ish with a mont. we used our jumper cables for wiring and jumpers so do ya add for that? takes a few seconds to grab them and string them out though. whats a second spare worth weight and worth carrying and how longs it take to roll over a truck your self or dig out of a silt bed. Seen an aweful lot of vehicles around vCP 104 not moving.

Chris Tobin

ultra 4 racer at the 1000 told me HE was stuck in the silt and had to be pulled out......so anything is possible..
Wow, that's nuts... Where we got stuck in the silt with the 1433 (2WD F-150 prerunner) it wasn't terrible, but a simple mistake and we lost momentum and sunk in and it was over until the digging... The sand mats didn't help a ton though, but the 4WD ranger on more solid ground sure did!!!

Chris Tobin

You guys have lots to learn about winching wand what they are and can do. Thanks to warn and you Missed Pullpal, look them up and see what they are it will solve the what to hook to thing. Its better then digging a hole and putting a spare tire in the ground or driving stakes. With our stuff we pulled right out in the silt. Moved over a silt bed row and strapped out an 11 that was jacking up and pushing it over. We used a 4500# warn because of its size and power to weight and with synthetic rope, plus we know how to winch and can do lots with that size with some general winching knowledge. Also the jeep is over 5000# with 32" tires and a dana 60 hanging low. Theres some out there in use you just dont know it. Wait till ya use the set up and see how fast it is. Or ya can keep digging and jacking and trying to get board under it to spin on and go 4 feet. We helped a 4wd jeep speed that got stuck by our pit for 45 minutes to get out, turtled up good, bet he wished he had a winch and pulpal and a shovel. He did have a jack and ramps though.
We didn't plan on needing it but we go prepared and ya never know ya may wind up in a ravine or tipped over with no one but yourselves. Once we lost our front 4wd we sure didn't go in silt so good. Spare battery and jump pack also so if it was tipped over we could get I righted before we were out of power we hoped.
No one practices digging and getting unstuck with there tools Theres lots of tools and multiple ways to do them. You can do some amazing stuff and get creative with winches.
Pull-Pal winch anchor, foldable land anchors for 4x4, Jeep, ATV, UTV, off-road, all-terrain-vehicles
I'd for sure need some more winching lessons, but the terrain here in TN doesn't have any SILT to practice in...

Do you guys pull forward or backward out of the problem to get another run at it? If you are pulling forward how do you keep momentum going after the winch gets you moving without running over the Pull-Pal and winch cable or rope?

51rcr

Depends. Lots of that silt and depends on where it had properties like snow and mud and sand haha. A big variety. A few times we stopped early and just moved back and fourth a few times like snow. Once we just pushed backwards. Mainly just pulled a little to a side to get on top of ruts or to go and stop before it But being out of the bad. Like some sticks. Ya want to go and hope ya don't wind/tangle up the strap/rope. Tenn has lots of offrao stuff and ya don' need to t to practice setting up pulls. Bury a 2wd in some sticky mud ruts will work. Tip a car over in a parking lot. I was blew away at how some of that silt would be almost knee deep and have suction like mud. Crazy. I only took one picture and we almost made it to the end of this one so just needed a short pull. Hard to find chewed up silt to play on when ya want to play and Learn. Having everything set up easy and fast tp get out and a wireless controller would make it fast. Seen lots of videos where vehicles are really stuck for along time. In picture you can see pull Pal. If ya did a movable mount you could pull back also. Depends on where ya think best to go. We left some plow marks in the silt from that 60 for sure.

Attachments