Sand tires and Car info needed, sand drags and hills.

Vdubwizard

RDC Crypto
I have a question for you guys in the Know! Being you have knowledge about Sand tire usage, sizes, uses and What works and Doesn't Work...
My situation is a little different, I have a full caged
VW Baja Bug, (55 Body/ 70 Pan) with 2332cc with 11.5 to 1 cr, (going to Coil Overs)
And max 6100 rpm @ 65mph topped out. Pretty close gearing for sure so the shorter 1300 tires are shorter than I need, even the Desert Traks on 8" rims are a bit short. Am looking at a guys STUs 33x15 With #2 Paddles, recently sold a set of the same with the Largest Scoops, figuring that was Too Much for the Baja Bug, am putting out about 240 hp N/A, have plenty of travel, installing 2" King Coil Overs w/Res fronts, 2.5" King Coil Overs rear with Fox Bump stops.
The 14.50 Desert Traks are good, can go anywhere, like Blow Sands in 2nd gear, thinking about going with the 33" Blasters #2 play cut solely cause of tire height for a bit more motivation. Info is Appreciated, car isn't a stripped Baja Bug, full cage, bus trans, 10 gallon fuel tank on rear luggage mounted to Cage. Since 1983 she's been a good friend and FUN!!

Attachments

• Resized_20210627_151518.jpeg
    Resized_20210627_151518.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0

CHASETHISTOO

RDC Crypto
I put a set of the Sand Blaster 33's with the #2 cut on my 5 unlimited. Its around 160 hp to the wheels. I felt that the tire size was good but the paddle was a little too tall for my desert gearing (to much bite and not enough power to push through it). From what it sounds like between the additional hp and tighter gearing that tire might be the hot set up for you.

Advertising supports this site

Vdubwizard

RDC Crypto
I put a set of the Sand Blaster 33's with the #2 cut on my 5 unlimited. Its around 160 hp to the wheels. I felt that the tire size was good but the paddle was a little too tall for my desert gearing (to much bite and not enough power to push through it). From what it sounds like between the additional hp and tighter gearing that tire might be the hot set up for you.
Very interesting Chase, I've been told a few things lately and am sure the 1300, 1300+ are a 29" tire on 12" wheels, probably 30" on 10" rims would be best but, I do need the Height, bearings 4.89 with the bus trans, Way too short, Ocotilla Wells Blow Sands Hill, 2nd Gear No Problem up the Steep face! Super fun, people have told my friends that came with, "He sure likes to show-off. I just need to see what the Limits of my car are with the 14.50 Desert Traks with 8" rims @ 5-6 psi and there's not enough bite. I am in an Upgrade to King Coil Overs, 14" travel all around, 2" fronts, 2.5" rears, (w/ 2"res's) and Fox 2" bump stops w-4" travel for the rears.
The Tires are def. info I definitely need to figure out the push needed, traction is ok with the DTs. Just not maximised traction, blowing them off anytime. Now if you had Near 80- 100 more Ponies, how do think your vehicle would have handled?
What did you end up with that works for your vehicle?
What did/do you run upfront?

No, I haven't tried the 29" 1300 or 1300+, diff was measured yesterday, 1300s on a 12" wheel at 6lbs, (Not being driven on at that pressure), is 29" for a 1300, 29.25 maybe, for 1300 Plus. I believe the 33" Blasters are going to be, tire to tire, not including the Paddles being the car sits on the tire, is going to be 31" on a 12" wheel and maybe 32" on a 10" wheel, probably shorter on a wider wheel.
Sorry to Bend your ear like this but, opportunity is around now and am working out the bugs before I get up and
running again. Don't know how much traction is available with a 1300 or plus with 1+" Paddles, put question out for all to answer but, I didn't want to get Too Wide in the Ass, bent rims aren't worth it at 200 plus each. Moore's.090 thick wheels used to be 100-110, now, same type wheels =near 200+, and going BEADLOCKS are out for a long while, screws possibly, ruin wheels??
Thanks for your reply, appreciate your help and advice being you have had actual usage of the 33" Blasters Paddle tires.👍
Losing my Mind 🤯🤪

Attachments

• 20210606_174121.jpg
    20210606_174121.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210606_173815.jpg
    20210606_173815.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Vdubwizard

RDC Crypto
And the Tire and Wheel Combo are What Now?
Are they the Blasters?
What Size are the REARS? They Look Great in Height and Width, How Wide are the Wheels?
That's some Super AIR CHASE 🤯
DON'T CHU KNOW I'M LOCO! U B 4 Sure Bro 👍

Last edited:

CHASETHISTOO

RDC Crypto
And the Tire and Wheel Combo are What Now?
Are they the Blasters?
What Size are the REARS? They Look Great in Height and Width, How Wide are the Wheels?
That's some Super AIR CHASE 🤯
DON'T CHU KNOW I'M LOCO! U B 4 Sure Bro 👍
Sand Blaster 33's #2 cut
The rear wheels are 12" wide
Wheels are 15" douglas bead locks

JWHracing

RDC Crypto
I ran 1300s on an 8 inch wheel for multiple years on my baja. The height is too short compared to my desert tires, but the shorter height helped with gearing and letting me spin the crap out of the tires. I ran 8.80 single rib tires on the front. My current buggy now uses a 31" utv tire. Taller than a 1300 but skinnier than a 1300. Look at a set of 31-32 utv tires for a 15" wheel. Run a 6-8" wheel and i think you'd be set. That's what I would do if I was going to take my baja to the dunes again.

Vdubwizard

RDC Crypto
Sand Blaster 33's #2 cut
Hows The Floatation compared to the 1300s you were running??? Reading online at STUs Web Site, They say the tires Don't Float as well as the 1300s. And, Suppose to be harder on Drivetrain, also taking more power to keep afloat. Which means More work for driver and car!
Was it harder for You/Your Powertrain to keep Afloat compared to the 1300s? (Does it take a lot more effort from you and your car?)(The 1300 PLUS tires are only 3/4" (or so) Wider tire, ONLY DIFFERENCE).
I went to Glamis way back, Way! And it was a Lot of work staying Afloat on a pair of Desert Traks on 8" Aluminum wheels! Really A Lot of work not to get stuck but, did keep up with my Buddys on 400cc Quads!
> I Gotta Say, Your Tires look perfect for the Wheels in the Buggy pic !! If I had to guess about the tire height on your Buggy, I'd say 31.5"-32", Hmmm?
Anyway can you get me a measurement of Actual Tire Diameter? (Only Tire, Not including Paddles)?? That would give me all the info I'd need to get my Facts correct!! 👍
If the #1 cut is 3/4", #2 is 1 1/4", the 33" Blasters are supposed to be hard on the Trans but, I am hard on the trans!! Type 2 trans are tough then ya get a Good build and damn near Unbreakable, ran one so hard, Was burning the main Pinion Bearing up, got so LOUD, it wasn't going to go up Blow Sand Anymore. So, I bought ProLong Transmission Treatment and Damn, the Noise went down 50% and got to run it All Weekend without a Problem!!!! <ProLong Treats the Metal Not the Oil>
party0005.gif

I want to Thank you Very much for your advice and information, couldn't have made a Correct Decision without your Input Bro!!
There's a guy in Lakeside, CA. Who has 2 sets of #2 Cut, 33" Blasters, a 1300 pair, and one Pair of 1300 Plus Paddle tires, ALL FOR SALE!!!
He's Looking a Pair of 12" x 15" Beadlock Rims with 3.5" Backset. ( VW 5-205, wide 5).
If Anyone might have knowledge or a connection for a Pair of Wide 5-Lug VW
Wheels as mentioned above, would be Much appreciated. (I'll put a listing in the Classified's Also).
"Muchas Gracious to All"
Gar
party0005.gif

Vdubwizard

RDC Crypto
Sand Blaster 33's #2 cut
Do you think I can get away with 10" wheels with the 33" Blasters? Won't be as flat, depending on the air pressure, have been running the Desert Traks on 8" for ever, goes Anywhere a Buggy can, Hard pack @ 15psi, 6psi for Blow Sand Hill, works good, probably Better on 10" Wheels, Probably way Easier with Paddles!! Thanks again Chase

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
Just so you know, Chase doesn't have a single VW part in any of that car's drivetrain, including the trans. He's not worried about breaking a bus box.

Vdubwizard

RDC Crypto
Damn good to know!
I am still gathering info to get traction, ya Really need to Wind up the Desert Traks, near Paddle/ sand traction I'm looking I'm looking for, guess that's what I'm asking. May Not be something comparable to my 55 but, any info is Good info, I hope.
Do ya know anyone, who has enough VW N/A power to kinda compare notes of sorts or, am I shoot the Gun in the Air?? Thanks for your Input Bro_, G-Man
The cars look near weight, he has 140-160 hp, not to far off, may be able to Pull it off, possibly build the Flanged 90mm Stroker x 94s? FIIK ?

Vdubwizard

RDC Crypto
Chase,
It may be a Buggy but, its probably close to the weight of a full caged Baja.
What do you think about 10" wheels on The 33" #2 Blasters? Looks to be enough room on the tire to still run fairly flat.

CHASETHISTOO

RDC Crypto
Chase,
It may be a Buggy but, its probably close to the weight of a full caged Baja.
What do you think about 10" wheels on The 33" #2 Blasters? Looks to be enough room on the tire to still run fairly flat.
That would work no problem.

CHASETHISTOO

RDC Crypto
I wanted to take my pre runner class 10 car to glamis. Should i run the same set up as your 5U or would you change to a different scoop?
I assume it has the 2.4 or 2.5 eco tech? The smaller cut is way better. I originally got the #1 cut (taller scoop) and it was too much. This set up is good. The only issue we have is the LONG desert gearing. I wasn't in 4th or 5th ever.

McCredie A

RDC Crypto
I assume it has the 2.4 or 2.5 eco tech? The smaller cut is way better. I originally got the #1 cut (taller scoop) and it was too much. This set up is good. The only issue we have is the LONG desert gearing. I wasn't in 4th or 5th ever.
The double was third?? That is a gnarly looking jump. Mad props!

Josh 8

RDC Crypto
You do know you can take a sharp blade to a paddle that is to large and trim it down. I recommend taking off 3/16 of an inch the first cut. Usually one cut is a big difference.