• Forum membership has its advantages....

SandHawk chassis in mid 80s?

wild hare

Anyone remember the two guys that ran SandHawk in Phoenix back in the 80s? Middle age crisis has me reminiscing about the good ole days. They built a couple of my dad's Class 2/1600 cars and built up the baja prerunner I had in high school. I almost bought their red flat bed baja instead. One of the guys co-drove dad's cars in races and regularly wrecked. Trying to remember names to see how far they made it in the sport. We spent some time at Dirtrix as well. Dad moved to Boulder City, NV in later 80s and started getting his stuff from the Bug House. I went another direction and got away from off-road. Sigh. Life's poor choices. Now I follow online. Cheers.

Bro_Gill

Sandhawk was part of the Station 1 outfit, right? Was it Bob Godfrey? Ran the class 2 car with the watercooled VW flat 4 boxer motor. Lots if their sand car chassis still come up for sale in Az.,

wild hare

Sandhawk was part of the Station 1 outfit, right? Was it Bob Godfrey? Ran the class 2 car with the watercooled VW flat 4 boxer motor. Lots if their sand car chassis still come up for sale in Az.,
Sounds right. I'm pretty sure Bob was the Station1/SandHawk owner. I'm trying to figure out who the chassis/car builders were.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
I thought Steve "Two Scoops" Godfrey operated Station One?

Was Steven Arlia involved in the chassis shop, and maybe a guy named Dave?

jsallenbach

Marty letner won all 4 of his parker 400s in a single seat sand hawk. Was later updated at raceco though. I'll ask our friend see if he might remember the owner of the company.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Bro_Gill

Yes, the Robertson Brothers stepped up to class 1 after killing Class 5. Single seat SandHawk. They were ugly, weren't they? Marty's car was stretched by Raceco, but still looked like a Sandhawk. Travis- those Sandhawk 2 seat play cars that look just like that do occasionally pop up on craigslist in the Phoenix area.

wild hare

Mystery solved - I got from a reliable source the chassis guys were Mike Johnson and Mark Clay and Mark may be at Geiser. Wonder what else they did for the past 30+ years.

gawdodirt

Steve Godfrey. Gary Hawkins made the chassis though. That's why it was named "Sand ""Hawk." For "Hawk"ins.He used to work for Jack Rich making sprint car chassis. Later, he was instrumental in the design and building of the Chaparral Chassis out of Palmer's Custom Speed. I know, because I bought the first Desert Pro1 directly from Gary.

yachtman

yes there were ugly. but that when i realize that it wasn't the way the car looked , but how it worked

twoscoops

Well you are very close on all the facts. Steve Godfrey was the owner of Sandhawk and Station 1 who in the beginning taught Gary Hawkins to build and weld the cars. Later after Gary left Mike Johnson and Mark Clay built the cars. Jeff Geiser also worked for me in the chassis shop before going to work for Walker Evans. Rick Geiser ran my shipping department back then. I am still around and easy to find just ask Danny Foddrill or Rick Geiser. Still involved in Offroad.

La Tijereta

Marty Letner ran this Sand Hawk chassis (modified by Raceco?) in the 1980 Baja 500..

1980.Baja500.Letner.106.Sand Hawk.21x.jpg

@ Centerline Images

jsallenbach

Marty and David Kreisler were good friends. The car was stretched at raceco.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today