Satellite Phone Options For Off Road

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
This last weekend at the Vegas to Reno I was reminded about how many dead areas there are still for cellular service in Nevada. We also have dead areas in other Nevada and Arizona races. As I sat on the side of the road for 15 minutes coordinating a helicopter transport I was frustrated that I was unable to move and out of phone communications 100 feet in either direction or if I turned my head the wrong way.

I have come to the conclusion I need to get at least 1 satellite phone for me to coordinate emergency responders. Eventually a couple of them for some of our key team members. I am wondering who has had some good luck with various types of phones.

I am looking for something mounted in the vehicles, that allows a prepaid card for service in lieu of a monthly service charge. Having an easily return phone number would be very important to me so that family members and other agencies can call back if need be. Must be able to send and receive calls. Send and Receive texts would be next priority and internet use would be a bonus but not a deal breaker.

I am interested in the small Iridium Go units that work in conjunction with your smart phone and wondering if anyone has tried and been happy with them.

Or does anyone else have any better ideas?

Mike321

Reaction
We rented a phone from Satmodo in San Diego for NORRA this year. Affordable plans and they were generous on the return date, great equipment, great customer service and they advertise on this site. I would recommend talking to them about your needs.

800-279-2366 | www.satmodo.com

I have no affiliation, just a happy customer.

y2kbaja

Reaction
x2 from SatMoto. We used them in NORRA 2015.

Satmodo

ADVERTISER
Reaction
This last weekend at the Vegas to Reno I was reminded about how many dead areas there are still for cellular service in Nevada. We also have dead areas in other Nevada and Arizona races. As I sat on the side of the road for 15 minutes coordinating a helicopter transport I was frustrated that I was unable to move and out of phone communications 100 feet in either direction or if I turned my head the wrong way.

I have come to the conclusion I need to get at least 1 satellite phone for me to coordinate emergency responders. Eventually a couple of them for some of our key team members. I am wondering who has had some good luck with various types of phones.

I am looking for something mounted in the vehicles, that allows a prepaid card for service in lieu of a monthly service charge. Having an easily return phone number would be very important to me so that family members and other agencies can call back if need be. Must be able to send and receive calls. Send and Receive texts would be next priority and internet use would be a bonus but not a deal breaker.

I am interested in the small Iridium Go units that work in conjunction with your smart phone and wondering if anyone has tried and been happy with them.

Or does anyone else have any better ideas?
Good Morning,

I am Mike from Satmodo.com. Give me a ring sometime and I will make sure you are on the right path and get you want you need. 1-800-279-2366

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Good Morning,

I am Mike from Satmodo.com. Give me a ring sometime and I will make sure you are on the right path and get you want you need. 1-800-279-2366

I strongly recommend giving them a call Dave. They are the best and customer service is bar none. You'll be stoked.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Thanks everyone for the recommendation. Mike was awesome to talk to yesterday and gave me some great information. Hopefully by Parker 425, we will have at least one of them in operation and eventually be able to get several of our teams with reliable 2 way communication in emergencies.