Save the desert stickers

V8Ranger

Reaction
I know that this should probably be posted in the other forum but hopefully it might get a few more views here. I think that it probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to come up with a good slogan to put on a descent looking bumper sticker to raise public awareness about what is happening with with desert closures. I know that these stickers have been made in the past but maybe we can come up with something new and original. I have to be honest, I too am guilty of not getting involved with the fight to keep the deserts open. I look at what Martin and Paige do to fight for our cause (as well as many others) and I know that many more of us need to get involved. As much as I love to visit them I know that I can do a little more to help, am I am sure that all of us can. Anyways I think a good start would be to find someone who has access to some cool steekers! Anyone with any good ideas of what to put on them? Maybe "Off-Roaders support (politician's name here" or maybe something opposing Feinstein, Boxer and their eco-natzi friends. I don't know but I know that there are some creative people on this board so lets here some ideas. Also maybe we can get a few donations together to help cover the costs. I doubt there are many people out there that are as broke as I am but I'm sure I can can come up with some cash. Besides what's the point of dumping all of this money into our off-road vehicles if we aren't going to have anywhere to use them in a few years? With that said I'm open up to any and all suggestions. One more thought: if we come up with a descent idea or sticker it might not be such a bad idea to share it with other websites such as maybe the glamis site, off-road.com, desertracing.com, etc. Also maybe we can keep a bunch of them with us and pass them out to people we run across, and at meetings, gatherings, etc. I know that each one of us know at least a few people that enjoy the desert yet might not be directly affiliated with this board. Come on people lets do something before its too late!!!!

mustafa

Reaction
Matt,
I think that's a good idea. I don't know how effective it will be, but at least it lets everyone know our position. During the last campaign, I saw a lot of
"Sportsmen for Bush" stickers. I would be willing to contribute some money for this cause.

He who lives by the sword, gets shot by those who don't.

V8Ranger

Reaction
I agree. One thing is for sure: It can't hurt. I think that putting a sticker on your car or truck is something that is simple and easy to do with little or no effort. I know that many (all) people are busy with there everyday lives so its tough to take time out to go to meetings and hearings. We are fortunate enough to have people that are willing to sacrafice a little to attend these meetings but I know they need some support. I doubt that there is anyone here that is too busy to put a sticker on their window. Just think, if a sticker persuades one quarter of a percent of the people that see it, that will add maybe change the outcome of a close election.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I wouldn't mind to pay someone to represent desert racing interests for me instead of me getting heavily involved. I have a hard time keeping interested reading about political moves, writing or talking about it.

CORDR is the organization that organized the 2 recent desert cleanups. I publicly challenge you (cordr) to select/hire a person to work fulltime or part-time to represent us. Charge us for your time. Read all the political issues for me and translate it in simple single sentences (high school level). Tell me who our friend and enemy is. Tell us where to sign a petition. Tell us when bodies are required to stand somewhere or do whatever.

I will proudly support it with money and other donations. I am sure the entire industry would do as well.

tkr

Reaction
I second that!

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

rt_racer

Reaction
klaus our enemy is definately any democrat that runs for office. They love big govt. and what better way to put more people on the govt. tit than to close OUR deserts and put grass lickers in taxpaid brand new expeditions to enforce those closures. There was an article in the wall st. journal about the endangered species act .The Journal supports us and said dont you think its funny theres only 9 endangered species on the WHOLE east coast and the econuts seem to find more every in 5-6 western US. The epa waived the act in wash.dc area . They were buiding another bridge in D.C. to aleviate 2 hour traffic jams and there was an endangered something or the other they found but it was ok d to go ahead with the project because the powers that be cant be expected to sit in t-jams for 2 hours. They need to be in there office making up more chicken-s@## laws to force feed us. Gotta go now Im starting to get mad. REMEMBER DEMORATS ARE THE ENEMY

Jimmy8

Reaction
Some of my friends had a bunch of piss on BLM stickers made up one time. They actually had a BLM officer pull one of them over while he was on duty and asked where they got them because he wanted to get a couple of them for his trucks and his boss. Pretty funny.

"On A Mission"

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Stickers are a great idea and simple to do. If you want you can contact me directly and I can get you prices if you have some ideas. I am not a large enough business to donate them but I can provide them for what it costs me.

A word of caution just in case. Don't use the phrase "Dirt First!". As one of the main members of team Locos Mocos, we came up with some stickers and t-shirts with that on it. We gave the stickers away and sold few shirts on www.locosmocos.com. you might have seen them around.
Anyway, we did this without knowing there was www.dirtfirst.com. the owner of that site constantly harassed us with threats of legal action for using that slogan saying he had it trademarked (not true, but maybe he does now) Nothing ever happened with it and we never heard from any laywer, eventually we just decided to stop using that on our stickers and shirts. He basically just thought we were getting rich off of it or something.

sorry for going off on that, but it really bugged me at the time.

Curtis

Paige

Reaction
Hey Klaus - I have heard that from you several times a great idea, but currently CORDR is set up to not receive salaries - we do this of our own accord and in our free time. I don't know if at some point we can change that - but for the time being there is not a paid position alloted for CORDR. We are also organizing and trying to set up a meeting, unfortunatley right now our treasurer is buried somewhere under a pile of tax returns - we have sent out a search party and hope to find her soon.

Regarding the stickers - great idea! Currently there is a sticker project out there. I got involved with orgranizing it in the beginning, it's called - The Action Program and sponsored by CORVA. this program sells a mulitple use sticker that says Action on it - its $25. The funds go into a war-chest for filing and appealing lawsuits. You can go to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.corva.org>www.corva.org</A> to learn more. CORVA was at Laughlin selling the stickers, you can order them on-line and we will try to have them at the races as well. There are a number of groups involved in ACTION - ama, equestrians, disabled recreationalists, forest people, dunes people, rock crawlers, etc - its a pretty big group. As a matter of fact Ed from CORVA and I sold over $1000 worth of stickers at the MDR awards banquet. However if the racers want something that serves them better - then it would be great to come up with something.

There is a DAC meeting in Victorville March 8-9 - the meetings start really early on sat - but it'd be great to have a really strong racing community showing at this one. I don't have a location yet - but I'll track it down.

Also I am flying up to sacramento next month for an off-road lobbying day - this is sponsored by teh California League of Off-road Voters, of which CORDR is a member and I'm on the BOD. If anyone is interested in attending - send me a PM. I pay for the trip out of my own pocket - but CLORV and CORVA can get group rates on the rooms. the purpose is to walk the hall of the cal legislature and talk about off-road issues - this is an annual event in conjunction with the Republican convention and CORVA's Board meeting.

Okay - I gotta get back to work =-)

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

tkr

Reaction
Paige -
Couldn't the CORDR contract someone to do it for them?

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

DPpatrol

Reaction
"REMEMBER DEMORATS ARE THE ENEMY"

I don't mean to start any arguements, but comments like these, if taken seriously, are one of the roots of our problems. I don't know if this was meant seriously or as a joke, but any how, we must relieze very few people in Gov. are our enemies, and definatly not the entire demo party. The large majority of politicians are not out there to screw over and piss off Americans, their goal is very much the oppisite. If they don't get rellected, they are out of a job, remember that, so why would it be to their advantage to piss off the constiuents? So to say "democrats are the enemy" is very narrow minded and if is truely your belief, you may as well kiss the desert goodbye. True, the democratic party is more in favor of off-road land closure then the GOP, and true there are some nutso enviromentalists out there, but trying to work with Democratic politicians now in office would be much more beneficial to our plite than declaring them the enemy and thus alienating them. Let your congressmen know your out there, send them letters, let them know how you feel on desert related issues, and please don't just sit back and whine about desert closures and proclaim the democratic party the enemy when you yourself are doing nothing to help the desert.

Just out of curiousity, do any of the sanctioning bodies currently have lobbiest in D.C.?

jason

by the way, I'm not a democrat, and the sticker idea sounds cool.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
A couple years ago I bought stickers that read: DESERT RACERS ARE AN ENDANGERED SPECIES.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
Hey while you guys & girls are on the subject of the desert I might as well announce the second annual Jack Waldron memorial clean-up on 4-20-02 at the Outlet center drive OHV area in Barstow.There will be free food & raffle prizes donated by many of the vendors in the off road industry,Live music & FREE dinner at the Slash X Cafe. The event is co-hosted by Mojave Desert racing & Bonfire racing.For more info you can contact either Bill Markel @ (661)943-1786 or Patricia Williams @ (626)442-9320

toyoter91

Reaction
hmmmm thanks for letting us know about this event i think i will partake in it. i missed out on operation desert clean up. hopefully i will see you out there if my truck is running by then. laters

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"