• Forum membership has its advantages....

Scam in classifieds

3G RACING

Re: Scam on race-dezert

I got scamed for 2k a couple months ago and if there is possibly one suspicius thing then im done. All theose emails are crap! Dont belive anyone anymore everyone is out to screw you
But did you receive anything or cash anything with your name on it?? Just curious, Im in a similar situation.

BajaBound27

What is that FBI phone number?

Got an email today from an obvious scammer from out of the country...This is the email

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:49 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:

This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 21566 )
Hello Friend
Pls let me know ur last offer of ur items you posted on (race dezert)
and the pics of it with the present condition okay ...i will be very
glad to hear from you asap today...stay bless

I got this today for my bike that's in the classifieds. Funny how 2 different people can have the exact same e-mail.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 3316 )
Gooday friend
Pls let me know ur last offer of ur items you posted on (race dezert)and the pics of it with the present condition okay ...i will be very glad to hear from you asap today...stay bless

Wood965

I had this happen to me a couple of years ago with a camping trailer I was selling. I thought it seemed strange so I followed it through to the end. I did not get rid of my trailer but I did get an envelope from overseas, It had some weird stamp on it, no return address and a cashiers check inside. When I took the check to the bank the manager looked at it and told me it was counterfeit and then told me they were getting these same checks alot. I wrote the person back, told them what happened and never heard from them again.

RCJoslin

what are you kidding thats so lame.

dieselrace

There was an ad (I found out MORE than one, later) in Craigslist about 4-5 months ago offering a Dodge diesel in Norfolk Va. The item they're selling(on craigslist) is alway AWAY from your area, but posted in your region....a 2003 dodge diesel for 3500? Dollars? with 85000 miles. LOL But when you email them, he's a lieutanant and gonna be deployed and needs to sell it AND will ship it from the East Coast to the West Coast free of charge....another scam. When you say give me a # where I can call, they disappear..too good to be true.....

Rory

Crayola Killer

There was an ad (I found out MORE than one, later) in Craigslist about 4-5 months ago offering a Dodge diesel in Norfolk Va. The item they're selling(on craigslist) is alway AWAY from your area, but posted in your region....a 2003 dodge diesel for 3500? Dollars? with 85000 miles. LOL But when you email them, he's a lieutanant and gonna be deployed and needs to sell it AND will ship it from the East Coast to the West Coast free of charge....another scam. When you say give me a # where I can call, they disappear..too good to be true.....
I usually string them along about 5-6 e-mails, and use broken english back to them stating I still have the item and try to get personal info out of them. I always end the e-mail with a "God Blesses" because thats what they usually say. I figure why not make them work a little harder for nothing....I enjoy taking up there time.

buddy crisp

answered one of these scammers and they actually sent me a bogus cashiers check. I took it to my bank along with the email I had received and it was turned over to the local sherrifs dept fraud division. Same deal broken english and a little blessing at the end of each emal...."stay bless"

ultrablew

This is the one I recently got...lol...What's funny is I have never responded to anything like this.

Hello ,
It's was so really nice to heard from you,Thanks for your respond,Am sending this email to make final reconfirmation of the ( FORD BRONCO II)Purchase and also to let you know that payment will be by certified Usps Money Order . In view of this I need you to email me any information that may be required to send the Money Order, as I do not want to send the Money Order to a wrong location lest they get into the wrong hands .
Regarding the shipping, I have a company that takes care of the pickup of my consignments for me and ship to my destination anywhere in the U.S.A, you do not worry about shipping, the shipping company representative will arrange the sales documentation and the pick up from your end for onward transfer to my destination.
I also want to alert you on the fact that you will be receiving an Money Order,which will cover the money for the pickup (pickup and shipping to the final destination) as well as the money to be paid to the company that will take care of the pickup and the documentation with you. So please, as soon as you receive the Money Order, go and cash them immediately, deduct the money that accrues to you, and send the balance to the Head Office of the company that handles the shipment via the nearest Western Union agent in your area. Deduct the Western Union charges from the balance and send the remaining to RECIPIENT immediately .
The Money Order will be in your name to make it easier for you to receive payment, deduct your money and send the balance via Western Union as regards my earlier direction, please reconfirm your details one more time.I will give you the details of the company that you will send the
balance of the money to, once I get a reply and agreement that you will send the money to them via Western Union money transfer immediately you cash the Money Order.Once the money is received by the agent , the shipping agent will contact you immediately to arrange the documentation as well as the pick up immediately. So in view of the above, here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the Usps Money Order to you.
(1) Full Name
(2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please
(3) your direct telephone number
(4) acceptance of my offer

Once you get back to me with all the above, the Money Order will be issued out immediately and it will be sent to you .Hope to hear from you immediately.
Cheers,
Hanna
N.B.: I will pay you extra $50 to reserve this for me.

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"

I received this email:

This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 1939 )
i will like to purchase your advert and like to know the lastprice of it nd the
conditions on it so i will want you to get back to me with all the necessary
information on it ok

My response:

Hahhahahahhahaaa

Their response:

sorry are you not selling

My Response:

What do you want to buy? I take cash only. (I have other ads on craigslist as well and you were not very specific)

Their response:

i mean your bike on race-dezert.com ok

and i will like to pay you by cheque ok

My Response:

No not ok I accept cash only. We can meet in person

Their Response:

This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 1939 )
i will like to purchase your advert and like to know the lastprice of it and the conditions on it so i will want you to get back to me with all the necessary information on it ok

Hahahaaaa.... he must be spamming everyone!! Don't be dumb and fall for this crap!!

Allan

I recived this one on the 10th
This is the same scam they have beed doing for years.

This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 1621 ) dear seller
How are you and how are you doing hope all is well?if so glory be to GOD almight,i will like to make and enquiry about your items you place on net for sale,i saw the picture in a very nice shape and i am very interested in buying it,i should have come and take a look at it ,it is just that time wount permit me because i am a very busy man,and i am ok with the price and the condition,I will be paying through a certified cashier check and i will be responsible for the shippment and the pickup . I will be sending you an overpayment due to the fact that i want you to help me make some transfer to my shipping agent . As soon as you receive the payment and it clears in your bank you will be deducting your actual fund and send the remaining amount to my shipping agent via western union money transfer.They will be the one to do the pick-up at your place as soon as the transfer is done ..I hope i can trust you with my balance to be transfered to my shipper ?
Do get back to me with the following details on the payment ( Cashiers
Check):
1.Name to be issue to...
2.Contact Address(City,State,Zip code,Country):
3.Contact telephone number:(home,cell or work...) Do get back to me as soon as posible with this details for payment to be made out to you immediately in other for the payment to be sent to you in time. Also i will want u to remg chove the item from the site u posted it so that no one will contact do not reply if you are not acceptinec u for it . i will pay you extra $100 removing it from the site.
Hoping to read from you soon.Pleasse
Regards
micheal

Forty1Racing

Yeah I fell to one of those Email scams. Ended up waking up in a dumpster in Thailand missing one of my kidneys.

because guy like these, ist really hard for me to buy part on race dezert...
im canadian and i speak french . i have buy my toyota prerunner in the classified . for canadian like me, buy a truck in california have a lot of advantage . truck with more than 6-7 year old are destroyed by the salt on the road.... here at the time i write this message , the temp outside are -40 deg...lol....
now its time for me to buy deavers and shock and every time i look for part , i never have answer or guy dont want to ship. everything because these stupid scammers.

and my english its so bad... nothing to help me... lol
me current projet: http://quebec4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47933

starvenmarvin

Hey dezertgirl, i got one from the same guy. Its freakin rediculous what people try to do these days for money.

Chase 2

Wow my ad is less than 24hrs old and already I've got two scam phishers:

This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 3068 )
Hello ,
I just saw your ad on the ( iterms ) for sale and i'm most interested in buying.Say is it possible to have a few pics sent to me via email?Also is check ok as form of payment?
Regards,
Micheal Cruise.

My response was: Sorry no phoney Nigerian checks accepted.

Just 2 min ago:

This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 3068 )
Hello and good day,
I am interested in your ad so i will like to know if it's still available for sale.I also want to know your best offer and it's present condition.Kindly send me the pics too.
I await your response.....

My response was: My best offer??

I'm thinking of stringing this one along is he responds back. May I won't have any pics.

Frontier 4 Baja

I received this one on my E-Mail, They just dont give up:

Anti-Terrorist And Monetory Crimes Division
FBI Headquarters In Washington, D.C.
Federal Bureau Of Investigation
J. Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20535-0001
Telephone Number : (206) 973-2572

Attn: Beneficiary,

This is to Officially inform you that it has come to our notice and we have thoroughly completed an Investigation with the help of our Intelligence Monitoring Network System that you legally won the sum of $800,000.00 USD from a Lottery Company outside the United States of America. During our investigation we discovered that your e-mail won the money from an Online Balloting System and we have authorized this winning to be paid to you via a Certified Cashier's Check.

Normally, it will take up to 10 business days for an International Check to be cashed by your local bank. We have successfully notified this company on your behalf that funds are to be drawn from a registered bank within the United States Of America so as to enable you cash the check instantly without any delay, henceforth the stated amount of $800,000.00 USD has been deposited with Bank Of America.

We have completed this investigation and you are hereby approved to receive the winning prize as we have verified the entire transaction to be Safe and 100% risk free, due to the fact that the funds have been deposited at Bank Of America you will be required to settle the following bills directly to the Lottery Agent in-charge of this transaction whom is located in Lagos, Nigeria. According to our discoveries, you were required to pay for the following -

(1) Deposit Fee's ( Fee's paid by the company for the deposit into an American Bank which is - Bank Of America )
(2) Cashier's Check Conversion Fee ( Fee for converting the Wire Transfer payment into a Certified Cashier's Check )
(3) Shipping Fee's ( This is the charge for shipping the Cashier's Check to your home address and this fee includes Insurance )

The total amount for everything is $500.00 (Five Hundred-US Dollars). We have tried our possible best to indicate that this $500.00 should be deducted from your winning prize but we found out that the funds have already been deposited at Bank Of America and cannot be accessed by anyone apart from you the winner, therefore you will be required to pay the required fee's to the Agent in-charge of this transaction via Western Union Money Transfer Or Money Gram.

In order to proceed with this transaction, you will be required to contact the agent in-charge ( Mr. Benson Edward) via e-mail. Kindly look below to find appropriate contact information:

CONTACT AGENT NAME: MR. BENSON EDWARD

E-MAIL ADDRESS:[email protected]

Telephone Number : +234-708-856-0666

You will be required to e-mail him with the following information:

FULL NAME:
ADDRESS:
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP CODE:
DIRECT CONTACT NUMBER:

You will also be required to request Western Union or Money Gram details on how to send the required $500.00 in order to immediately ship your prize of $800,000.00 USD via Certified Cashier's Check drawn from Bank Of America, also include the following transaction code in order for him to immediately identify this transaction : EA2948-910.

This letter will serve as proof that the Federal Bureau Of Investigation is authorizing you to pay the required $500.00 ONLY to Mr. Benson Edward via information in which he shall send to you, if you do not receive your winning prize of $800,000.00 we shall be held responsible for the loss and this shall invite a penalty of $3,000 which will be made PAYABLE ONLY to you (The Winner).

Mr. Bill Nicholson
Special Agent.
Washington DC FBI.
Room, 7367
J. Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20535-0001

Please find below an authorized signature which has been signed by the FBI Director- Robert Mueller, also below is the FBI NSB (National Security Branch Seal)

Authorized Signature
NSB SEAL ABOVE
NOTE: In order to ensure your check gets delivered to you ASAP, you are advised to immediately contact Mr. Benson Edward via contact information provided above and make the required payment of $500.00 to information in which he shall provide to you

WORCS332

what you should do is when they email you, put there email addres on craigslist and put it under like a iphone for $200. They would recieve like 100 emails in like 20 min... HAHA