SCORE and BITD Helmet expiration rules...

johndjmix

Reaction
Ive heard conflicting information about when helmets expire in both racing organizations. Some have told me its a 5 year window, but from what i see helmets expire 10 years after their rating on the helmet.

Example: SA2005 helmets expire 2015, SA2010 helmets expire 2020, SA2015 helmets expire 2025

Can someone who is 100% on this please confirm that is correct , as im about to purchase a helmet and want to be sure im not getting something that expires this year.

--John

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1472744397.176211.jpg

This is the BITD rule book section. We did not lock in 5 years and done. Especially since some manufacturers have struggled to make some of them fast enough.

We have not yet set a end date on the 2010 helmets. But the 2005 ones will not be allowed next year.

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions

ACME

Reaction
No REAL reason a good, undamaged SA2005 shouldn't be good till 2020...

AZ7000'

Reaction
Unless it's my head inside....

07FJRog

Reaction
No REAL reason a good, undamaged SA2005 shouldn't be good till 2020...
I agree, i have used mine like 4 times since i bought it.

Jimmy8

Reaction
On a serious note, you guys do realize that the date isn't just a date... Helmet standards are raised every 5 years. The difference in the shell of a 2005 helmet and a 2015 helmet, while they may look the same, are actually in fact very different. You should be replacing your helmet every 5 years because it's actually the safe thing to do, and PLEASE, have it sent to the manufacturer and tested after every crash. It may look ok, but the truth is it may have been compromised. If you can't afford $500 every 5 years for a new skid lid, I think you may have signed up for the wrong hobby. Be safe, update your helmet.

ACME

Reaction
SA2010 And What It Means To You - Circle Track Magazine

Mr B: I don't disagree at all, but how many times at tech have you seen a helmet that looks thrashed, or dropped, crashed in numerous times etc... but it met the dating vs a prestine, safe/solid SA2005 helmet that next year doesn't pass as it's "old". Keep in mind it's the same sport that has guys sitting on fuel cells and racing in cotton single layer suits with tennis shoes and mechanix gloves...

IMO it's kinda of like the chassis inspection process. I watched Savage argue and tell a well known fabricator who used a 1" X on the C pillar on his cars while teching cars in the guys shop: That the "requirement" mandated a single 1.5" Diagonal and "that would have to be changed" in all these cars. When the builder asked if a 1" X was less safe than a single 1.5" diagonal in the same place, Savage said it was the rules regardless if they made sense or not...

Mxrider99

Reaction
Materials break down over time. I have no idea how people feel safe in old safety equipment. Its just like the guys riding dirtbikes in 15 year old helmets. Technology changes and materials wear out guys. No reason a 400$ helmet cant be replaced when you are racing big money cars and spending this much to race. The new technology in comms is awesome as well!

coilover88

Reaction
To paraphrase what many have said -- what is your noggin worth compared to all you've spent already?

tapeworm

Reaction
There are many more factors that go into helmets being safe than just a date. The top of the line helmet could be rotten after a month if it isn't stored properly. The basic foundation of an auto racing helmet has been the same for many, many years. A hard composite shell (fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc.) and styrofoam around the noggin. The styrofoam can dry out if not stored properly, it loses some of its cushioning properties any time it is impacted, whether from being dropped or just a simple knock against a roll bar. Motorcycle helmets have surpassed the auto racing industry with their omni-directional suspension systems inside the shell to absorb impact. I asked this question to someone in the safety field before... Why hasn't auto racing adopted this technology? The answer I was given was because that technology doesn't pass the flame resistance standards the auto industry requires.

I agree that safety is important and I do everything I can to give myself the best safety equipment I can afford, but at some point everyone needs to accept the fact that we all enjoy this activity because of the danger factor involved and we have to accept the fact that bad stuff does happen and sometimes there was simply nothing more we could have done as individuals to prevent it other than not being there in the first place.

johndjmix

Reaction
Tapeworm definite high five on the omni directional energy absorption. I raced ATV #119A in last years Baja 1k, and bought a new bell moto9 flex just for Baja.

Since Baja I have been using my old hjc helmet to not bang up the new expensive bell. This thread made me think, I think I'm going to keep the old helmet for the pit bike stuff and use the moto 9 flex from now on.

Now that I'm racing a truck, I also wonder why that energy absorption haven't been adopted for the car helmets.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Bro_Gill

Reaction
It's real simple, we all spend so much money on race cars we obviously have nothing worth saving in our heads... At least that is what my wife thinks. Your wife may vary.

43mod

Reaction
John has no wife. He had to settle for my old girlfriend Sancha. Ii forgot to tell him her name.
I have a $1000 tooth in my head due to not wanting to get a $500 helmet dirty playing on a quad years ago.
I say good care and ccommon sense should have ssome weight in the helmet / safety issue. See the racing slipper thread as a good talk of some issues.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Another piece of this as far as BITD is involved anyway:

BITD is an SFI affiliate now. As a result we fall to many of their guidelines and testing standards as the rule in many safety related areas. It is far superior to people sitting around a desk and making a decision on what we "think" should be allowed.

The only reason we allowed the 2005 an extra year was simply because several manufacturers could not come out with the 2015 in great enough numbers. And people would be hesitant to want to spend 500 or more when the helmet will expire in 4 years of they get a 2010 helmet.

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions