SCORE and BITD logistics

trophygoat

Reaction
Considering there is no way I can realistically add the total costs of racing a SCORE or BITD race (on a bike) having never raced them before, I would appreciate it if anyone is willing to share their financial logistics for this years BITD or SCORE races, specifically the BITD parker 250 and V2R, and the SCORE baja 500 and 1000. This is to plan for those races in 2017. No I have never raced before, yes I am racing next year, no I am not racing BITD/SCORE next year, yes I realize racing is expensive. That should cover most of it :)
This can be done through private message if you desire, thanks

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
depends on how many chasers you have and the course...
- V2R its 2-3 gas tanks depending on your truck. in Baja depends on the course and access roads. plan for 4-5 tanks at least
- food drinks its every man/woman for them selves,
- if you take vacations (1-2weeks strait) plan for 80usd a night motels so you don't come back to the HQ.
- gas for the bikes/quads at least 2-3 tanks per day. 100-150 miles prerunning days

trophygoat

Reaction
depends on how many chasers you have and the course...
- V2R its 2-3 gas tanks depending on your truck. in Baja depends on the course and access roads. plan for 4-5 tanks at least
- food drinks its every man/woman for them selves,
- if you take vacations (1-2weeks strait) plan for 80usd a night motels so you don't come back to the HQ.
- gas for the bikes/quads at least 2-3 tanks per day. 100-150 miles prerunning days

Thanks El Mamito. I apologize for not being specific enough, but I was also inquiring about entry fees, membership fees, insurance, etc., the whole 9 yards, basically an out the door price for these races (and I would just judge what I think I might be in for based on what you payed for). Logistics was probably not the best word, more like financial everything.

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
Thanks El Mamito. I apologize for not being specific enough, but I was also inquiring about entry fees, membership fees, insurance, etc., the whole 9 yards, basically an out the door price for these races (and I would just judge what I think I might be in for based on what you payed for). Logistics was probably not the best word, more like financial everything.
the B500 around 7-8K, V2R around 2-3K(maybe less) , I haven't done a 1K myself but as part of chase teams, its close to 10K after everything(vehicles and prep) is done. also if you know locals that also helps lowering the cost.

if you want to do a Baja race hit me up, I can hook you up .. maybe even chase..

trophygoat

Reaction
the B500 around 7-8K, V2R around 2-3K(maybe less) , I haven't done a 1K myself but as part of chase teams, its close to 10K after everything(vehicles and prep) is done. also if you know locals that also helps lowering the cost.

if you want to do a Baja race hit me up, I can hook you up .. maybe even chase..

Now thats an offer I cannot refuse ;)
As I said before, I am not planning on any of these until 2017 so I can do some weekend warrior races first, but I greatly appreciate the offer. I see you post on here all the time, so lets stay in touch

slim01

Reaction
I can offer you the same answer that was given to me a couple of years ago when I asked a similar question, talk to Tim at Baja Bound. You get a professional package and all you need to worry about is bringing your helmet and boots and have a great time. Its ideal for the bigger races like V2R and the B1K/B500 where preparation and support is key.

Everything can be sorted from pick-up to drop-off, pretty much everything inclusive if you want. I have used Tim for both the B1K and V2R and currently sorting out next years plans.

pgarfinkle

Reaction
x2 for Tim at BBM. It is the best way to get a full, competitive and supported package. He is on here or you can contact him through his website: www.bajaboundmoto.com

Entry fess vary depending on class. Most of that info can be found on the race org's websites.

For BITD pro class total race cost (minus race fuel, bike prep and spares): the Parker 250 is about $1500 and V2R over double that depending on your chase support or hired pits.

SCORE is considerably more with the 500 around $7k and up depending on how much prerunning you do and your level of chase support.

****Keep in mind that the 1000 for 2017 is going to be a special anniversary race and that will most likely mean a bigger entry fee. Also the rumors are that the mileage is going to be extended a bit which will impact cost as well.***

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
X3 on BBM... I heard great things about them. I personally don't need them since I got my local crew but for a newbe like you, its something you want to look into. or txt me and we can talk

rustyb

Reaction
I've done it on a shoestring budget for a few years now. I've been rider of record for 3 500s and 3 1000s, finishing 1 500 and 2 1000s (all DNFs were due to mechanical problems). Well, actually 4 500s, but I don't count the first time when I thought 100 mile bicycle rides would prepare a middle-aged man to ride 500 miles solo on a quad. :eek: Anyway, at this last 1000, where we proudly nursed the beat-up quad across the finish line less than 1/2 hour before the time cutoff, here's what I spent:

Entry: $2240 / 5 riders = $448
Sat phone rental: Around $500 / 5 = $100
Groceries and a couple meals in Mexico: $300
1 Baja Pit for a long section without easy access: $80 or so
Gas: $200
T-shirts at contingency: $60 (I have drawers full but somehow can't stop buying them--if in 10 years you go to visit your grandmother in a nursing home and there's an old geezer in a wheelchair in the corner with a 2011 Baja 500 t-shirt and a helmet on, that's me.)
$600 for lodging

So that's $1788. That's with teammates bringing their own chasers paying their own expenses, and not including any vehicle prep. (Note: I actually spent less to due the generous support of my brother Dave, Batza Offroad Motorsports,
Batza Off-Road Motorsports (@batzaoffroadmotorsports) • Instagram photos and videos ).

As others have said, the 2017 1000 is probably going to be an extended peninsula run, so all costs will go up dramatically.

I agree with everybody else that BBM is your best option for finishing and for having a great time. For me, though, a big part of the satisfaction is doing it myself, though I often wonder if it's worth the countless hours spent prepping the quad, organizing everything, fighting with the wife over how much time I spend in the garage, stressing over every detail for months on end, etc. That being said, I'm incredibly proud of this, though I think my wife is getting tired of me wearing it to bed:

Image.jpg

Feel free to email me at ravenrjb@q.com with any questions.

--Rusty

trophygoat

Reaction
I can offer you the same answer that was given to me a couple of years ago when I asked a similar question, talk to Tim at Baja Bound. You get a professional package and all you need to worry about is bringing your helmet and boots and have a great time. Its ideal for the bigger races like V2R and the B1K/B500 where preparation and support is key.

Everything can be sorted from pick-up to drop-off, pretty much everything inclusive if you want. I have used Tim for both the B1K and V2R and currently sorting out next years plans.

x2 for Tim at BBM. It is the best way to get a full, competitive and supported package. He is on here or you can contact him through his website: www.bajaboundmoto.com

Entry fess vary depending on class. Most of that info can be found on the race org's websites.

For BITD pro class total race cost (minus race fuel, bike prep and spares): the Parker 250 is about $1500 and V2R over double that depending on your chase support or hired pits.

SCORE is considerably more with the 500 around $7k and up depending on how much prerunning you do and your level of chase support.

****Keep in mind that the 1000 for 2017 is going to be a special anniversary race and that will most likely mean a bigger entry fee. Also the rumors are that the mileage is going to be extended a bit which will impact cost as well.***

I've done it on a shoestring budget for a few years now. I've been rider of record for 3 500s and 3 1000s, finishing 1 500 and 2 1000s (all DNFs were due to mechanical problems). Well, actually 4 500s, but I don't count the first time when I thought 100 mile bicycle rides would prepare a middle-aged man to ride 500 miles solo on a quad. :eek: Anyway, at this last 1000, where we proudly nursed the beat-up quad across the finish line less than 1/2 hour before the time cutoff, here's what I spent:

Entry: $2240 / 5 riders = $448
Sat phone rental: Around $500 / 5 = $100
Groceries and a couple meals in Mexico: $300
1 Baja Pit for a long section without easy access: $80 or so
Gas: $200
T-shirts at contingency: $60 (I have drawers full but somehow can't stop buying them--if in 10 years you go to visit your grandmother in a nursing home and there's an old geezer in a wheelchair in the corner with a 2011 Baja 500 t-shirt and a helmet on, that's me.)
$600 for lodging

So that's $1788. That's with teammates bringing their own chasers paying their own expenses, and not including any vehicle prep. (Note: I actually spent less to due the generous support of my brother Dave, Batza Offroad Motorsports,
Batza Off-Road Motorsports (@batzaoffroadmotorsports) • Instagram photos and videos ).

As others have said, the 2017 1000 is probably going to be an extended peninsula run, so all costs will go up dramatically.

I agree with everybody else that BBM is your best option for finishing and for having a great time. For me, though, a big part of the satisfaction is doing it myself, though I often wonder if it's worth the countless hours spent prepping the quad, organizing everything, fighting with the wife over how much time I spend in the garage, stressing over every detail for months on end, etc. That being said, I'm incredibly proud of this, though I think my wife is getting tired of me wearing it to bed:

View attachment 162461

Feel free to email me at ravenrjb@q.com with any questions.

--Rusty

slim and garfinkle, thanks for the info, I was unaware that Tim did races as well as adventure rides, so I will definitely be looking into that. Prices are definitely reasonable if you bring your own bike.
And garfinkle, the fact that it will be the 50th anni race is one of the top reasons I am so determined to be there! It will be a challenge, no doubt, but I want to be able to say I raced it!

Rusty, your answer is exactly what I was looking for and thats awesome how you are able to budget your races so efficiently. Now that I have that estimate (although I am rounding that number up considering you have done quite a few big races and it will be one of my first) I can use that to judge whether it is worth going on my own or riding with BBM. Also, congrats on the finish this year. Hope to see all you guys in 2017.

Chew369

Reaction
slim and garfinkle, thanks for the info, I was unaware that Tim did races as well as adventure rides, so I will definitely be looking into that. Prices are definitely reasonable if you bring your own bike.
And garfinkle, the fact that it will be the 50th anni race is one of the top reasons I am so determined to be there! It will be a challenge, no doubt, but I want to be able to say I raced it!

Rusty, your answer is exactly what I was looking for and thats awesome how you are able to budget your races so efficiently. Now that I have that estimate (although I am rounding that number up considering you have done quite a few big races and it will be one of my first) I can use that to judge whether it is worth going on my own or riding with BBM. Also, congrats on the finish this year. Hope to see all you guys in 2017.
If you were to use a pit company like Baja Pits or Mag 7 you would add another $900-1050 depending on the length of the race and that includes Sunoco race gas for your bike. Most teams don't have enough chase to get to all pits so most teams use one of these two companies

trentk

Reaction
Here is a rough estimate based on my last few years running pro (2 people) in BITD. With the races changing this year these are estimates. I have the word SKIP on the laughlin race because I will probably skip it, Its not worth the money for me, I am not recommending others skip it.

For Baja figure double or triple per race due to higher entries, mexico insurance, sat phones, more mileage, etc.

2016-bitd.jpg

trophygoat

Reaction
Here is a rough estimate based on my last few years running pro (2 people) in BITD. With the races changing this year these are estimates. I have the word SKIP on the laughlin race because I will probably skip it, Its not worth the money for me, I am not recommending others skip it.

For Baja figure double or triple per race due to higher entries, mexico insurance, sat phones, more mileage, etc.

View attachment 162675

Thanks, thats an awesome break down for me to use. I see you race AZOP too? If so, I will see you at some races in 2016. First race for me will be either maricopa GP or hayfield draw scrambles. I'll be riding a KTM 250 4T, #456 if you see me in the pits don't hesitate to strike up conversation :)