Score Awards

Lucho

Reaction
Website
www.altavistaevents.com
Just found out that at the SCORE Awards this past weekend, only the first place winners in Class were called up to the stage and received their awards. Second and third in Class just had their names called. No awards, no channce to thank their team or sponsors. Is that true?

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Just found out that at the SCORE Awards this past weekend, only the first place winners in Class were called up to the stage and received their awards. Second and third in Class just had their names called. No awards, no channce to thank their team or sponsors. Is that true?

Top three were called and presented trophies and checks accordingly. The awards are nearly 4 hours with the champions speaking and for the most part I would guess 20% of the 2nd and 3rd place teams were on hand.

There was a huge increase in attendance though with 450 people showing up! Good times.

The host was kind of a weenie though......

Being one of the 3rd place in class "winners" I really didn't feel it was time for us to speak.

Lucho

Reaction
Website
www.altavistaevents.com
PAB, I'm sorry but that's not what I've heard. I've also received several PMs from racers who were there and finished 2nd or 3rd, and they are saying that only 1st place got an award and they were the only ones to be given the opportunity to thank their peers and teams.

Our Team won 2nd in Class 10. I was not there, but the young man, who is the driver of record, was. He and 20 of his friends, dad, mom, grandfather, grandmother, were there to cap off a great 2007 effort. His name was called (actually acknowledged--not called up), and that was it. That's not right. His first full year of racing off-road and a monumental effort (as it is for most), the least it could have happened is that he'd get up there and thank all the people who helped him. Heck, at least thank his grandfather who paid for everything. This is a gentleman who did not know anything about our sport, but after we finished 3rd in the Baja 1000+; he wants to "go for it" next year. He loves the sport now. A $20.00 award from his grandson would have made him very happy.

You know, I don't begrudge SCORE for all they have to go through to put on these races. And they deserve to make as much money as they can. As a promoter, I know the rings we have to go through. But this is the one time of the year that it DOES NOT BELONG TO SCORE or the Promoter!

THE CEREMONY BELONGS TO THE RACERS, EVEN IF IT TAKES 6 HOURS TO GET THROUGH IT! This is the one time of the year that it's the racers turn to shine. No one should deprive them of that. I think a lot of people are p i ss ed and rightfully so.

Years ago (and to this day), sometimes our awards went long, really long. And we used to award the drivers (not just the driver of record) but also the co-drivers, and the co-pilots. They won, too.
Lois and I would call all 3rd places to the stage, hand them their awards and give them time to say their piece. Then we would call all 2nd places to the stage, and do likewise. We save the best for last and all Class Champions would have their turn. It was their night. By the end of the night we were beat, but it didn't matter. Those who placed in the top three went home happy, ready to spend more on racing.

I'm sorry, but SCORE needs to take care of those who take them to the dance.

I'll be sending a letter to Sal on this matter. Not good!

Lou Peralta

BlueCrace

Reaction
Website
www.bluecusa.com
Lou,

As a follow-up to what Cameron was saying, I think it is important to know the facts before placing judgment since you were not at the event. Before I go into the facts, congratulations to Mike Lawrence and his team for taking 2nd place in class 10. That is a hugh accomplishment for a challenging class.

The facts:
1) All the 1st/2nd and 3rd place winners were called up on stage.
I think that was 25 (including UTV) classes. That is 75 people going up on stage for points awards and about 30-35 more going on stage for special awards such as the Off-Roadsman and the Toyota True Grit and the VW awards.
Sal only spoke for the introduction, the honorary guests and the 2007 SCORE Visionary awards. The rest was presented by the host ( Cameron). This event was all about the racers and the accomplishment.
2) Each 1/2/3 place winners in each class had a slide with their name/class and picture of their vehicle on it on a 30' x 30' screen. Their name was also called with the class and what they won.
3) SCORE put a tremendous amount of resources to put this awards banquet together and did make every effort to bring those up on stage. This awards banquet was so much better than the past years. Did your DOR get his award and if so why did he not go on the stage when he was called up. Maybe he was not paying attention??? All the other 2/3 place drivers that were present went on stage. If so he also missed going back stage and getting his picture taken with Sal and his trophy.
4) Traditionally in awards shows, the first place winner has a chance to speak with the others accepting their trophy.
5) Last years awards went for 5 hours and everyone complained. We only had about 225 at the event last year and I think this year was close to 450. This year it was important to get it down to 4 hours.
6) SCORE made a point of enriching the awards this year by creating a photography display as you enter from each of the top photographers, including a band for backup music and event vibe, better food, better food service, larger room, built in stage, professionally sound and lighting brought in etc.
7) I understand your thought of honoring the co-drivers but then it would be a 8 hour event.
8) Once again, SCORE went to a lot of trouble to make this happen merely a few weeks after their biggest race and they did it and the event was not about SCORE but the drivers, teams, support and sponsors. Sal's opening comments reflected that.
9) SCORE also set up a after party to continue the celebration of the winners. Did your DOR attend. This was mentioned several times during the event presentation. SCORE picked up the first round of drinks and Cameron picked the the hotdogs for the attendees.

I understand what you are saying but it is also important that you know the fact vs. hear-say. That is the skinny. Please pm me with your email and phone number.

Thanks,

Eric

PAB, I'm sorry but that's not what I've heard. I've also received several PMs from racers who were there and finished 2nd or 3rd, and they are saying that only 1st place got an award and they were the only ones to be given the opportunity to thank their peers and teams.

Our Team won 2nd in Class 10. I was not there, but the young man, who is the driver of record, was. He and 20 of his friends, dad, mom, grandfather, grandmother, were there to cap off a great 2007 effort. His name was called (actually acknowledged--not called up), and that was it. That's not right. His first full year of racing off-road and a monumental effort (as it is for most), the least it could have happened is that he'd get up there and thank all the people who helped him. Heck, at least thank his grandfather who paid for everything. This is a gentleman who did not know anything about our sport, but after we finished 3rd in the Baja 1000+; he wants to "go for it" next year. He loves the sport now. A $20.00 award from his grandson would have made him very happy.

You know, I don't begrudge SCORE for all they have to go through to put on these races. And they deserve to make as much money as they can. As a promoter, I know the rings we have to go through. But this is the one time of the year that it DOES NOT BELONG TO SCORE or the Promoter!

THE CEREMONY BELONGS TO THE RACERS, EVEN IF IT TAKES 6 HOURS TO GET THROUGH IT! This is the one time of the year that it's the racers turn to shine. No one should deprive them of that. I think a lot of people are p i ss ed and rightfully so.

Years ago (and to this day), sometimes our awards went long, really long. And we used to award the drivers (not just the driver of record) but also the co-drivers, and the co-pilots. They won, too.
Lois and I would call all 3rd places to the stage, hand them their awards and give them time to say their piece. Then we would call all 2nd places to the stage, and do likewise. We save the best for last and all Class Champions would have their turn. It was their night. By the end of the night we were beat, but it didn't matter. Those who placed in the top three went home happy, ready to spend more on racing.

I'm sorry, but SCORE needs to take care of those who take them to the dance.

I'll be sending a letter to Sal on this matter. Not good!

Lou Peralta

Baja_Seve

Reaction
Sorry, BlueCrace, I WAS there. And Lou is speaking the truth.

As emcee, PAB clearly announced that only the FIRST Place winners in the Series championship would be called to the podium to receive their trophy and make remarks. Second and Third were flashed on a screen and merely "announced."

Last year's awards did not go 5 hours - yes I was there. Why did this year's awards go 4 hours?

---Sal Fish decided he would use the "awards" ceremony to discuss and vent the recent problems from the Baja 1000. He invited and had speak the new Mayor of Ensenada, a rep from the Baja California Governor's office, and the Baja Sur Secretary of Tourism. This went on and on and on. I applaud Sal for making this an issue - I disagree that he used the AWARDS ceremony to air his political agenda. A press release would have been more appropriate instead of lecturing the guests at the awards ceremony. Instead, he stole time from the awards receipients to make a political statement.

---What exactly were the "Visionary Awards?" Score's version of their own awards? And recognizing their own PR guy? More wasted time from the RACERS who deserved it.

SCORE has distanced themselves from the "other" winners in the Series championship - the privateerers, the small guys, the people who really would like their very small chance of recognition. What possibly could have come out of allowing the 2nd and 3rd Place winners to make a few comments?

Would it have upset Score? Volkswagen? Riviera? The Mexican dignitaries? I don't think so. Instead, Score alienated themselves to becoming that big "corporate" and "big money" promoter who disses the small guy. Yep, all about money and after all, Score is a BUSINESS.

I showed up Saturday night to support a Second Place winner in Class 22 motorcycle. Yep - that's a big deal to our privateer race team (what about you, PAB?) since we ran 2 bikes and finished 2nd and 4th behind Factory "You Know Who." We had an awesome season and wanted to recognize our racers and supporters. Previous awards ceremonies allowed 2nd and 3rd to take the podium. So after racing the Tecate Hare Scrambles Saturday morning in Tecate, BAJA, we banzai'd up to Primm where I paid for a reserved table to honor our racers and sponsors. Surprise! To not recognize the "other" winners, albeit 2nd and 3rd Place, is a reflection on Score's poor recognition of the "non money contributing" teams.

Oh, but wait. While in line for the banquet tickets, we find out that the Baja 1000 payback for Pro motorcycles was only 50 percent - yet the 4-wheel classes got 100 percent. Another hoodwink - I don't recall in the Baja 1000 application where it said the "separate $1000 entry purse" would be only 50 percent for motos. Now we're in a really good mood!

After PAB announced that only the First Place series winners would be called to the podium, our Rider of Record Joe Desrosiers was not happy. He had his daughters, his primary benefactors, and his new 17 year old whiz rider with him. When Robby Bell (Class 22 winner) was called up, Joe D went marching up right behind him. Joe explained to PAB what he wanted to do - and Joe squeezed in a whopping 5 seconds recognizing his sponsors. What Score, Sal, PAB, and others missed were Joe's other comments where he would compliment Score, Baja, and the otherwise good news from the 2007 season.

Your loss. All to discount the "2nd and 3rd Place" finishers.

I understand it's all about money. What possible harm would have been incurred to allow the 2nd and 3rd Place winners to make a few seconds' comments? Could Score have asked that in the awards ceremony RSVP before our charge cards were charged for the $60 dinner or $600 table? Or blatantly stated that on their website to clear any confusion?

PAB - Thanks for allowing Joe D his 5 seconds of pseudo-fame, plus the ride to Tree Bar afterwards. In hindsight, we should have just gone to Tree Bar. CODE, RECORD, and ZR look mighty attractive.

Congrats to the 2007 Score First Place Class champions.

Seve
DP Racing

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
You are both wrong....top three in each class were announced and invited on stage and had photos taken if they came up.

I hosted it and know who I announced, sorry if someone missed it.

Baja_Seve

Reaction
You are both wrong....top three in each class were announced and invited on stage and had photos taken if they came up.

Announced in your Powerpoint graphic, yes! You SPECIFICALLY asked that only the First Place winners come to the podium!

Grant Lenk

Reaction
Website
www.missinglenkmotorsports.com
there were numerous 2nd and third teams that went up on stage...... they didn't speak but they did receive their awards. big pat on the back for PAB, i think he got the job done great and in a timely manner, and also got everyone to the tree bar in time despite the icy temps.

Fidel

Reaction
Website
MediaArmory.com
This thread is looking quite ripe for action from the get go. And what's best, it's got all the key elements to make for a notable, between-season half-time show.

Great lead in and contribution Lou. Excellent first-hand account from Seve. Both bare notable insight and credibility.

In spite of the apparent discrepancy between those aforementioned and PAB (I'm not completely certain who he/she is), there are certainly some gems to polish off in the arena of public discussion.

From the sounds of it, the squeeze play at the awards seems to have short changed many of those beneath the echelon and its list of objectives. And although it's a tough crowd to please from all accounts, it sounds like a few lessons ought to be taken from the late FUD on racer appreciation and all around humility.

Cheater

Reaction
It is amazing how even Score's award show gets picked apart and everybody says it was done wrong. You couldn't pay me enough money to do Sal's job ever. People should just be thankful we have somebody with the passion like Sal putting on races for us.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
Okay, I am a bit confused but here is my question to PAB.

--- In typical fashion from the past, where the second and third place points winners allowed to speak and provide thanks to their sponsors, friends and family?

Brian, no doubt Sal loves the sport, certainly no more than Casey or Jim, Dan or the late Fud or Walt. These people are special and each has or had their own strengths. Knowing Sal, I am pretty sure that the issue at hand is addressing something that I am sure he has concerns for.

Last edited:

eastcounty61

Reaction
Website
www.youtube.com
I was there as well and went there for one reason, to support the other bike on our team. I was on the bike that got fifth place in class 22 with DP Racing so we were not being recognized but my gf and i made a weekend out of driving up there to at least see one of our bikes thank all of the sponsors and benefactors that supported BOTH of our bikes this year. Joe got to say a few words very quickly that i honestly couldnt even hear because everyone was clapping already, kinda sad. When SCORE runs off the little guys then they will really be all about money when entries arent setting records anymore.

Baja Brother

Reaction

Wow! PAB sounds like there is perception problem here and some people are calling you out on it. Well?

I am sure as this thread grows the scales of truth will tip in one direction only, as people who were there speak up.

la2baja

Familia
Reaction
I think the Awards show was done well. It was quite long and having every racer in the top 3 for points give a speech and thank sponsors would have taken til 6am Monday morning. The ceremony kept a good pace and PAB did a great job of keeping everyones attention. I have no issue with only the first place team from each class speaking. We did not make the podium and we are a very small team struggling to do well amoung "Big Fish" (I guess) and a very talented pool of other small teams. Thanking our crew and sponsors is surely important to our drivers but not everyone can be accomidated. I would call the design of the ceremony a good added incentive to take first place in 2008, not leave SCORE. As far as catering to the Corporate world and not caring for the racers... The 450 people in the crowd were racers, racers and crews eager to head to the Tree Bar for shinanigans. Extending the ceremony several more hours would not have made the majority of racers and crews very happy.
Just this dudes opinion.
A job well done PAB and SCORE!

1wayne

Reaction
Peace and Love to everybody tis the season Merry Chrismas Everybody:) now lets all get along and have a great year of racing in 2008. Maybe Santa will help Sal fix all of your little problems, Bajas problems, then we will have nothing to complain about here on RDC:D O ya have Happy Nude Year see ya at the Dash:p Be safe over the holidays;)

JohnnyAirtime

Reaction
Website
Cancer-RideForLife.com
Just for the record....

Our RoR emailed the SCORE peeps to never get a reply.

He asked if we (our team, and their accomplishment - 3rd place Class 22) would be acknowledged (get a trophy/plaque or get to say something on stage)... and never got a response to the email. Sadly, we all decided to stay home and lick our wounds (as we're not all rich enough to drive/fly to Primm for a ceremony that may not benefit the team).

I wish we would have known (as I still don't really know) that 3rd place would have been invited to stand and say 2 words, while receiving anything.

... Congrats to the seasons top finishers!!

EUGENIO_979

Reaction
I suggested to Sal that they use "their" website to inform nominees, winners, and all who would be apart of the awards ceremony. The website could solve a lot of FAQ's.
Sals response was that, "because of "politics" they dont have anything to do with nominations, and that it was a shame that no one in our group nominated our DOR". Sal also said that there website will be "updated" in the near future. Hopefully with the updated website there will less confusion in the future. Why not just use RDC with its own SCORE forum? Oh well I guess you cant make everyone happy.

CONGRATS TO ALL THE WINNNERS