• Forum membership has its advantages....

SCORE - Baja 1000 website & coverage is HORRIBLE!

Rob Waldrip

With new ownership and the money that came with it, one would think things would be brought to the next level goes as far us up to date information goes, finding current information, links that actually work, and so much more to be desired. I wish SCORE would take something ideas from Race-Dezert.com, Planet Robby or most notably and considering that the 1000 is supposed to be the grand-daddy of off-road racing - DAKAR!

Please, we want updates, real-time information, links that actually take you somewhere, easy navigation in an organized manner.

I know others feel the same way. Please get on the ball for 2016!

green787

I see you're a new member.... I suggest you search "score sucks" and read up on the issues you raise....

zpoyly

retro-ny
i will settle for a good logistic table, but ill say it once and i will say it twice; what can you expect from a free loader.

offroadracer516

This year the coverage was not nearly as bad as it has been in the past. I got to see the vehicles go off the start and was able to track them during the whole race. I am happy :)

C flips

This year the coverage was not nearly as bad as it has been in the past. I got to see the vehicles go off the start and was able to track them during the whole race. I am happy :)
I agree, also seeing them as they hit the highway at Santo Tomas was the icing on top. I was almost sick to my stomach watching it online instead of being there so I'll take what they give. What's that saying, "Beggers can't be choosers".

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
I just wanted a finishing medal......

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Okay, who hacked Robby's account?
Lol! I was thinking the same thing! Robby.....is that you? Lol! All in good fun.
And yeah the new "B" who started this with 2 posts to his "NEW" account. Fill your tank up and head down to mexico with a buddy and a RDC classifieds radio, stop by one of the race radio trailers and get the basic channels with the weatherman and go find a cool spot and see it live! Would be the best vacation of your life i'm sure.

_TimS

No thanks, OP. We don't need commercials in the WM stream that would come with more investment.

Part of the "trouble" is that they are using the broadcasting resources available to help the racers, chases, and the spectators in real time with the remote viewers as an afterthought. Noone has put a reasonable effort into a remote viewing platform.

Here's a thought... How many of you would isolate yourselves from the real time event to watch a more organized broadcast that had a 5 hour lag time? I think with five hours (possibly less if we can get the video/picture posting public energized) three to four people could put together a fairly comprehensive media package. I'm not talking nascar quality, but give a good sequence of events, lead changes, etc. following many different races with video clips and pictures mixed in. BUT - with facebook, RDC, instagram, periscope, and youtube - AND - with most of the spectators being friends or crew of a racer - would a lag time be acceptable?

1 person - main commentator - mixes in video segments to have time to organize conversation.
1 person - gathering media and following a few of the races - feeds info into sequential notes with time stamp to commentator.
1 person - finding facts following a few other races - also feeds into same time stamped sequential database for commentator to talk about.

That way those without the knowledge, resources, or time to find the info for themselves (which is readily available) would feel their time watching was worthwhile.

Prizes for submissions or anything with a tag of say "#RDC1000".

I thoroughly enjoy each year following along. It's like sitting in the pits wondering what's going on and trying to fit the pieces together. I feel as though I'm there, but with better coverage and remote video etc. Though, I could see why a more put together all-in-one package would be desirable.

_TimS

With more human resource it would be possible to get the lag down to 30 min or 1 hour, then the racers on the sidelines could stream it and watch fan's videos being posted, then they would want their videos on there so they would post up.

_TimS

OR... put together a 10-15 minutes recap every hour on the hour with the happenings in the past hour. That would work well, I think.

The problem with SCORE doing this is that utilizing other's content for money-making-purposes may pose a copyright risk. If it were just a bunch of schmoes doing it for fun, those issues should be mute.

Dave Cole 4454

On a loop race I would think you could put together pretty decent coverage for 75k.

It costs 100k to pull off our coverage at KOH. But that is a weeks worth of coverage. Its just a matter of priorities. I have not had a direct coverage with Roger about it but I would assume his TV producer doesnt want to see the shots on the internet 6 months before they put it on TV.

Regardless. It's a significant investment with very little payback to do live internet coverage. It is still hard to convince the bigger non endemic sponsors the validity of our viewership. Viewership = Value.

I commend Roger and Sal before him to put on a race that covers that much territory in a foriegn country.

Bro_Gill

So let me see if I get this right... The guy who goes out of pocket millions of dollars to purchase SCORE is also suppose to spend what would amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars to provide you free coverage of the race you won't go and watch or pay to see because , wait, I've got it, you want to watch it from a safe space in your entitlement place?

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

So let me see if I get this right... The guy who goes out of pocket millions of dollars to purchase SCORE is also suppose to spend what would amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars to provide you free coverage of the race you won't go and watch or pay to see because , wait, I've got it, you want to watch it from a safe space in your entitlement place?
Love it!

J Prich

So to clarify, the coverage was good...or it wasn't? If you say it wasn't good, you're just wrong because you're entitled? Is it possible to not be entitled and just say that you don't think it was very good?

Also, I love this convo that comes up for the 1000 every year and usually a few other times as well because it goes the same every time. You could literally copy and paste the convos from 20 other convos in the past.

My fav is always the "just go to the race yourself" angle. I love that one. Can you imagine any other semi mainstream sport desperate for mass legitimacy and corporate interest telling it's potential fan base....sorry you can't follow our sport but if you don't like it, just shut up and go to the events instead.

It's not necessarily on Roger/SCORE to expose the sport but I think it's an interesting business decision to say that it's worth the time/money/energy to hold qualifying at SEMA for "more eyes" but not worth investing in better race day coverage of the ACTUAL event...the sports holy grail.

Bro_Gill

Prich, first, if you can't see the irony, it's there. Second, When was the last time YOU complained about something you got for free that someone else paid for? Sex at your bachelor party with a transvestite stripper paid for by your buddies can't count!(see, humor.)

J Prich

Prich, first, if you can't see the irony, it's there. Second, When was the last time YOU complained about something you got for free that someone else paid for? Sex at your bachelor party with a transvestite stripper paid for by your buddies can't count!(see, humor.)
Yeah I get it, I just don't buy the argument that since something is free you have to pretend it's good. Because it's not. The SCORE website is terrible and if calling it that makes a person entitled then we probably need to pee pee slap 3/4ths of the off road community because I'm confident that most agree.

And the race coverage stinks too. I paid zero dollars for it, point taken. Doesn't make it good. A turd sandwich doesn't taste better if you get it for free. I think it's silly to call out everyone who points out how bad it is "entitled" as if their criticism isn't valid.

Bro_Gill

But if you get it for free, then complain that because the guy who gave it to you has a ton of money, so it should be better, then you have no legs to stand on. Not you, but him, Get it? Or did you not read that part?