• Forum membership has its advantages....

SCORE - Baja 1000 website & coverage is HORRIBLE!

DoitforBMoore

Sponsors need visibility/fans. Fans need content. It's that simple really. Even if TV shows only show 25 trucks, that's still good but the bigger problem to me is those shows aren't able to be produced until months after the event is over. By then, everyone that's a fan likely already knows the outcomes, etc.

Even the Red Bull Mint show, which is cool, plays it like a current event. But two months after the race everyone who's more than a casual fan already knows the outcome so the whole build up of what's going to happen/who's going to win is pointless. It's a great show to open the door but once you've got a person interested, how do you keep them around? They need content. At some point it can't just be about simple exposure, it's got to be about sustaining a fan base. And that's really hard to do when you can only marginally provide real time or even near real time content from the sports single most important event.
If done correctly it can be done in a matter of weeks.. We just had a 9 day turn around on a 45 min cbs sports show. TONS of POV camera to go thru and a crap load of camera footage. Just takes man power and big computers to just be able to crunch thru raw footage.

On a Doc style show now way it could be done. But the live race format it can be done in a couple weeks NO problem.

51rcr

its like everyones favorite. nascar. oh they know there drivers and there sponsors but look at all the crap they keep finding and info to feed the fans to keep them in the loop and connected. If I didn't know people and follow them I personally wouldn't really careless if the1000 was even happening. I could wait till Monday or a week later since that's when its all official to find the winners etc.. But the nice part is this is when all the stories come out and keeps people connected and it plays out for awhile. I like to hear everyone's stories. And in these races the 11s can be such a big play and promotion on the opposite side of TT. people love the underdogs. And when ya say or play it as what they are against and the struggle to finish yet maybe make it on time. People love that. Just like the bike vs TT for speed and time.

vegasloki

SCORE has not been good at outward facing media over the Norman years. It's ironic since he talked so much smack coming it that he was going to change motorsport, yada, yada, yada. Then the embargo of the WM feed and the other missteps (though watching George sleeping in his room as a live stream event was strangely interesting...)

With RDC, social media, the WM feed and the new tracking it's excellent coverage. SCORE isn't good at it and should stick to running races. Let the pros handle the live media.

johndjmix

FYI for all those that were listening to weatherman, you all do realize there was no and I mean none nada radio communication on the south part of the course. So Listening to just weatherman you missed most of the race.

I would say, at least from our chase trucks, we didn't have any weatherman contact for 60% of the race. Possibly later sat this got fixed but we were already going north at that time.

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

El Mamito USMC

they should hire MadMedia in a FULL TIME capacity to fix this... and im sure they can get people to unf*ck that website..

TJERGENSEN

Score does an amazing job, but you have to go to the race to see for yourself. they have Monster parties every night before and during the race, live tracting that you can text you're car #44 to and it tells you where it is and how fast, bfg relay will call you're truck for you if you want to talk to them. weatherman will do the same if he has time. bfg pit track every vehicle all you have to do is walk up and ask them. Rodger will talk to you with a smile on his face even with all the stress he must be under. You would never complain if you went to the race and saw what they do for the racers and the fans

vegasloki

Score does an amazing job, but you have to go to the race to see for yourself. they have Monster parties every night before and during the race, live tracting that you can text you're car #44 to and it tells you where it is and how fast, bfg relay will call you're truck for you if you want to talk to them. weatherman will do the same if he has time. bfg pit track every vehicle all you have to do is walk up and ask them. Rodger will talk to you with a smile on his face even with all the stress he must be under. You would never complain if you went to the race and saw what they do for the racers and the fans
You've badly missed the point. Missed it in a Robby Gordon missing a VCP sort of way...

The discussion isn't about what SCORE is doing at the race for the entrants. It's about what the sanction is doing (or more appropriately not doing) and how it's screwed the pooch on coverage to fans that aren't at the race. I'm not talking about an hour of time buy buried on a Sunday afternoon CBS slot weeks after the race that the local affiliate may choose to bump for the regional sheep shearing contest.

Norman came in arrogant and dismissive of the then coverage and went to provide live coverage (or should I say lack thereof) that made most middle school AV clubs look pro. There are people out there that do it for a living. People that are really good at it. It can be done.

Bro_Gill

Yep. It can be done. All they need to do is pay the licensing fees and rights to rebroadcast and they can charge all the advertising time they want to while producing and streaming the show...

TJERGENSEN

I didnt miss the point, the point is Score has a X amount of dollars to put on the race and they have chosen to take care of the Racers and the Local fans. The cost and return is just not there on the web coverage

J Prich

I didnt miss the point, the point is Score has a X amount of dollars to put on the race and they have chosen to take care of the Racers and the Local fans. The cost and return is just not there on the web coverage
Really? Who's paying George Anthill and co then?

ace_photo

GET SOME
You guys have any idea how hard it is to get 1 photo out once your beyond El Rosario? We had photos up on the SCORE FB feed and SCORE website before dark from our first shooting locations. That was because TMobile kicks ass.
Once we moved into the sticks service is non existent. You need sat uplink$ to do that. I'll be glad to add in a BGAN unit to each of my shooters rigs when someone donates 10k+ to make it happen. That's how they do it at Dakar. Then and only then will you have images as the race happens.

That's for web low-res photos, video is a whole other deal.

There is no such thing as high speed internet in Baja. We are spoiled...

That said - it is in the works and by the time we get to the 50th all this **** should be in place.

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Yeah I get it, I just don't buy the argument that since something is free you have to pretend it's good. Because it's not. The SCORE website is terrible and if calling it that makes a person entitled then we probably need to pee pee slap 3/4ths of the off road community because I'm confident that most agree.

And the race coverage stinks too. I paid zero dollars for it, point taken. Doesn't make it good. A turd sandwich doesn't taste better if you get it for free. I think it's silly to call out everyone who points out how bad it is "entitled" as if their criticism isn't valid.
I was just wondering......Does the "Turd" sandwich have cheese or come with a bag of chili cheese fritos? I do like fritos......

John Bitting

Administrator
They are close but .... George knows what he is talking about and knows the racers so that is a plus. But when the winner comes on the stage and you hear 37 mic checks and then nothing its a bit frustrating for those at home. The second stream George setup this year at the road crossing was cool and hopefully they do a lot more of that in the future. Maybe have channels at different mile markers so you can switch between the start, and the course.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
They are close but .... George knows what he is talking about and knows the racers so that is a plus. But when the winner comes on the stage and you hear 37 mic checks and then nothing its a bit frustrating for those at home. The second stream George setup this year at the road crossing was cool and hopefully they do a lot more of that in the future. Maybe have channels at different mile markers so you can switch between the start, and the course.
We need personality behind the microphone and these guys have a lot of it.

Last edited:

ACME

Slightly off topic:

We watched the IV250 last night and the wife laughed at the "Alumni-Craft" comment which is another: One-Half 1600 to the community. Did they actually say Alumnicraft or did we just hear it wrong??? Coverage was good and hit a few classes which was cool. We had two first time watchers over (Mother & brother in law) and they watched the whole race and thought it was cool as they know what we do but never have seen a race and are not fans but first time viewers of the sport!

On topic:

As for SCORE and the fans: They are doing a good job balancing the events at the races with part of it for racers and part for the fans. IMO the media is lagging, but it's about the same as ever-was. It seems in the current "information day and age" most seem to expect more access & content for nothing...

As for the comment about SCORE doing more for racers than fans... IT SHOULD! The events should be for and about the racers who from C1 to Class 11 to the bikes pay and make the show. I personally think certain classes are getting more and others nothing but that too is part of the new-era...

Last edited: