SCORE - Baja 1000 website & coverage is HORRIBLE!

green787

Reaction
Did anyone see the Red Bull, straight line rhythym section challenge James Stewart this weekend??? That commentator girl, was very proffessional.....

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
Did anyone see the Red Bull, straight line rhythym section challenge James Stewart this weekend??? That commentator girl, was very proffessional.....
pictures of the hottie?

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
The second stream George setup this year at the road crossing was cool and hopefully they do a lot more of that in the future. Maybe have channels at different mile markers so you can switch between the start, and the course.
The second stream was a test of whats to come. SCORE is working on it.

mgobaja

Reaction
The best thing I recall about Jorge Anthill was him going over the SF250 course with Jose Grijalva a couple of years back, Jorge has ZERO interest or ability in wanting to properly pronounce Spanish names, he butchered the crap out of everything he could, almost like he was trying to do bad.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
The best thing I recall about Jorge Anthill was him going over the SF250 course with Jose Grijalva a couple of years back, Jorge has ZERO interest or ability in wanting to properly pronounce Spanish names, he butchered the crap out of everything he could, almost like he was trying to do bad.
VIVA MEXICO!!!

Power Monkey

Reaction
Are there any professional photos of the race/cars posted anywhere? Seams odd that all the killer photographers that use to post on RDZ are not sharing.

vegasloki

Reaction
Yep. It can be done. All they need to do is pay the licensing fees and rights to rebroadcast and they can charge all the advertising time they want to while producing and streaming the show...
Broadcast TV particularly on over the air time buys isn't an effective way to cover the sport. Particularly give the delay. For narrow/niche market sports broadcast is done. It's likely going to generate some bigger numbers but those aren't the market who would buy KMC Wheels and King Shocks. The more mass market type, Toyo for example or BFG it's cheap do get in on low demand time buy slots. But that's not where this market is.

Case in point is what's happening with Disney right now with ESPN. Subscribers are leaving with some of that content being replaced by either social media or smaller outfits that specialize in a particular content. The model RDC is following for the Mexican races and more importantly Dakar is something I think works for off road. Mad is doing the same sort of thing for the Mint. This is the model for narrow market sports, not time buys weeks after the event.

AZ7000'

Reaction
Are there any professional photos of the race/cars posted anywhere? Seams odd that all the killer photographers that use to post on RDZ are not sharing.
Isn't there an issue with photogs not being allowed to post/advertise on RDC due to their ownership? Please correct me or clarify....

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
Maybe a little off topic, but might have to do with the photos....
Our Baja Bound company has done Moto & UTV Baja rides for 20+ years as well as race rental programs for 500/1000, Parker, Mex1k, and VtoR (up to 50 race rentals without a single DNF by the way). There's a handful of others that do the same including @BANNED4LIFE, Chris Haines, Bruce Anderson, VORE, and others.
Prior to this 1000 we were told by the score licensing people to remove any "Score" or "Baja 1000" from our website. We'd be allowed to use it if we paid $2500 for a short term.
Sheesh, we barely make bucks off racing, I do it because I love it, to help mentor new racers, and to teach them the Baja ways. And we're trying to bring new racers to score! Many we've assisted have gone on to race bikes on their own, race Petes trucks, and even buy their own race cars.
Maybe the licensing issues we're facing is same for the photo guys?

Jimmy8

Reaction
I will chime in here and say this...

I worked as part of a 3 person team in 2015 providing "Near Live" coverage of the Rally America National Championship. Some of the places Rally America races, even though it is in the United States, is as remote as you can get. Northern New Hampshire only miles from the Canadian border? Back woods Missouri? Sno*Drift Rally in remote Michigan? Trust me, I provided online radio updates throughout every race day in 2015. Sometimes to get a 20 minute audio update online I would have to drive an hour away from the Service Park to upload a file to the net using a wireless hotspot with little to no service. Live coverage is not easy, especially in the remote locations off-road and rally run.

Is there some things SCORE can improve on? Absolutely! But until you have actually walked in their shoes, and yes I have, it's pretty damn easy to sit hear and pass judgment not actually knowing how hard it is to provide quality media coverage in remote locations.

Yes, things like a periscope stream are very easy to do, and anyone, including 20,000 Baja locals in the wash with a smart phone, can do it, but the reality of it is that SCORE couldn't actually sell that to a sponsor or fans as coverage. At Rally America we played with Periscope this year, and had some success with it, but it by no means is a replacement for a true livestream broadcast. As far as I'm concerned, Formula Drift is the benchmark in that arena, and anything else is sub par at best.

SCORE obviously doesn't have the budget to invest in a true broadcast quality livestream, so until they do, as fans we'll have to sit as they figure things out.

TV... Not even going there.

biffgnar

Reaction
Prior to this 1000 we were told by the score licensing people to remove any "Score" or "Baja 1000" from our website. We'd be allowed to use it if we paid $2500 for a short term.
Sheesh, we barely make bucks off racing, I do it because I love it, to help mentor new racers, and to teach them the Baja ways. And we're trying to bring new racers to score! Many we've assisted have gone on to race bikes on their own, race Petes trucks, and even buy their own race cars.
The way IP law works they can't be selective about who they protect their IP with. Has to be consistent. If they let little guys slide it hurts their ability to enforce against big guys. Unfortunate but it is the way the legal world treats stuff like this.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

deano

McDeano
Reaction
What SCORE needs to improve on more than their website and coverage, is actually having legitimate functioning timing and scoring, during their qualifying and racing. Along with the full understanding of all of the rules ..... You know the things that matter the most ......

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
They've been saying that for a few years now. It's not technology holding it back, it's desire and ability.
Not true but you can go with that if you want.

vegasloki

Reaction
Not true but you can go with that if you want.
I'm in a far better position than you to know what is and is not possible in the realm of entertainment and broadcast technology. Even from the middle of Baja it's possible to get images and coverage out. In the big leagues we do it with sat and microwave. It's not cheap but it's available.

M_Solms

Reaction
I'm in a far better position than you to know what is and is not possible in the realm of entertainment and broadcast technology. Even from the middle of Baja it's possible to get images and coverage out. In the big leagues we do it with sat and microwave. It's not cheap but it's available.
Cool, whats the link for your coverage of the next race?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

vegasloki

Reaction
I will chime in here and say this...

Is there some things SCORE can improve on? Absolutely! But until you have actually walked in their shoes, and yes I have, it's pretty damn easy to sit hear and pass judgment not actually knowing how hard it is to provide quality media coverage in remote locations.
Inmarsat has global BGAN service. Groundcontrol also has several solutions. Narrow markets like professional karting use it for live audio streams. Check that out for your rally coverage if you guys have the budget. It's what a lot of remotes use for lower cost uplink. Not cheap but readily available. That doesn't cover the distribution but that gets it from the event. If you are at NAB this year there are a lot of solutions.

It's completely doable but SCORE either doesn't have the money or the business case (likely both) to do it. It's not technology that's the holding them back. They don't even need low cost sat. What was done here on RDC is good.

vegasloki

Reaction
The way IP law works they can't be selective about who they protect their IP with. Has to be consistent. If they let little guys slide it hurts their ability to enforce against big guys. Unfortunate but it is the way the legal world treats stuff like this.
It's got nothing to do with IP law. SCORE could choose to do low cost or no cost licensing deal if they wanted to. They also might have some contractutal issues someplace but there is nothing in US IP law that prevents them from setting different rates for different licensees including no cost.