• Forum membership has its advantages....

SCORE Class 10 Engine Restrictions

Bray D

Feel free to move this thread if it's not in the right forum. I don't have the authority to post in the private Class 10 forum.

I've been talking with Art regarding the engine requirements for Class 10, however he's been busy and nearly unresponsive lately. I wanted to tap in to the vast knowledge here to see if we could get some answers.

We have an '05 Duratec 2.0 sitting in the shop that we plan to run in 2018. Art has given us his blessing on the engine itself, but he hasn't given a solid answer regarding the spark configuration that's allowed. The engine is currently outfitted with the OEM coil on plug arrangement and we're looking to switch to the more primitive wasted spark setup. Wasted spark was offered on Duratecs, however this particular engine is coil on plug.

Wasted spark will be cheaper and easier for us to tune.

Do you guys have any insight regarding the ignition requirements? Do we have to maintain the current OEM offering on this engine, or would we be allowed to 'revert' back to the previously offered wasted spark setup?

Bray D

Bump for good measure. We're anxious to breathe some life into this engine and need to know which spark set up we can run.

If you guys aren't comfortable saying one way or another, that's perfectly understandable. I was just hoping someone had experience where they were allowed to deviate in one form or another, which would give us clarity regarding our situation.

I'll let this thread run for another day or so, then I'll try and touch base with Art again.

Chris Tobin

This close to the 1000 most of the guys that would answer your question are probably in Baja prerunning and getting ready for the race right now. You'll probably need to give it a week or two then bump it up after guys are home from the race...

Bray D

Ah, good call. That's likely the reason Art hasn't responded either, haha. Looks like we may be waiting until the end of the month before we hear from anyone.

Bray D

The Baja 1k has come and gone once again. I read of the tragedy, though I hope everyone else had a safe and clean race.

I shot another email to Art on Monday with no response. Do you guys have any insight?

[email protected]

We can seal engines for score, I don't see any problems using waste fire ignition on your engine, don't matter what engine electronics you use in my opinion if the engine is stock and un modified its only going to make so much power no matter what electronics are on it.

Give us a call at the shop I'm pretty sure we can tag it for you.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Bray D

That sounds logical to me. This engine is far from a powerhouse, but it's what we have available and we'd like to use it. We'll move forward with wasted spark. If we find it's an issue down the road, we'll cross that bridge.

Thanks for the reply Chris. We'll definitely be hitting you up when we're ready to have the engine sealed.