SCORE class 4 - good/bad?

Advertising supports this site

DeanB

RDC Crypto
Turnkey is sealing the motors for SCORE.

We have placed a order with Turnkey for a 2.4. We were told it was about 2 months out, a couple of weeks ago. We were also told that Turnkey has a 100+ 2.2s available.

A 2.2 was 5,500 and a 2.4 was a few hundred more. A replacement motor is only 2,000 because its just the motor.

racer56

RDC Crypto
Score is stupid for not adopting the Bitd desert lite rules. Just what we need, a new class with low participation because of rules. JMHO

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
RDC Crypto
BITD and SCORE have different rules for this class as previously discussed, right?

Don't get me wrong overall. We could run a 2.4 today with a mild tune and likely go just as fast. There is savings on the motor initially and over time with maintenance, another big save will be on the R&P wear with the lower RPM motor.

To re-iterate a few of the issues:

I do like the idea of a Turnkey motor but, where do you see that in SCORE's rules?

I like the overall idea but, history tells me it won't be a class we can depend on for uniformity and some flexibility for logistics (motor builders) for a few years.

:) Good debate! I never said that the Turnkey motor was in SCORE rules...just that they are $18k less than a Kroyer Honda. I agree that SCORE (and the rest) should adopt the 2.4L, as it is the one that is in current production. Keep the ideas coming... this could be a great class.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
RDC Crypto
Score is stupid for not adopting the Bitd desert lite rules. Just what we need, a new class with low participation because of rules. JMHO

Class 2 is more like the BITD rules...Class 4 is something different, effectively a CL10 car with a non-cardiac arrest motor.

So bag on SCORE for not adopting BITD Dez-Lite rules for Class 2 not for Class 4. Apples and Oranges.

racer56

RDC Crypto
Desert racing does not need any more classes, let alone ones that will split up an existing class.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
RDC Crypto
Desert racing does not need any more classes, let alone ones that will split up an existing class.

True!

Or said another way, desert racing needs to get rid of a bunch of low car count, expensive to run, buggy whip classes...in favor of something with modern technology and lower (hopefully) operating costs.

I am saying all of this in the spirit of good debate and good ideas! :)

racer56

RDC Crypto
True!

Or said another way, desert racing needs to get rid of a bunch of low car count, expensive to run, buggy whip classes...in favor of something with modern technology and lower (hopefully) operating costs.

I am saying all of this in the spirit of good debate and good ideas! :)

I agree.

efiharness

RDC Crypto
If you need help making the ecotec's run, give me a call.we run all the 2.2, 2.4, 2.0 supercharged,2.0 turbo.mech or elect throttle, with or w/o vvt. thanx, steve 909 910 3867

pjc

Chairman
RDC Crypto
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com

The vehicle count at the Mint at the Mint in order were:

1/2 1600 = 25
1 = 21
12 = 19
10 = 15
PT = 9
TL = 13
7 = 11
11 = 8
1450 = 7
18 - 5
8 = 6
3 = 6
9 = 5
7s = 5
mm = 2
SF = 1

Like I said, I am all for a cheaper motor with more torque in my car. What I am not in favor of is a motor package that limits where I can race competitively. The conversion would be an easy $12k for our program. If we can't run the same car and motor in SCORE, BITD, SNORE and MORE. we will not make the change.

Lastly, where will SCORE start this class? I am very partial to starting behind the C1's.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
RDC Crypto
I don't know where they would start (up to Savage/Sal), but I would guess they would start behind the 10's and in front of the 12's. I am hoping that BITD and SNORE adopt the CL4 rules so a person could race their car in multiple series.

puravida

RDC Crypto
Website
www.monroyracing.com
The vehicle count at the Mint at the Mint in order were:

Like I said, I am all for a cheaper motor with more torque in my car. What I am not in favor of is a motor package that limits where I can race competitively. The conversion would be an easy $12k for our program. If we can't run the same car and motor in SCORE, BITD, SNORE and MORE. we will not make the change.

Lastly, where will SCORE start this class? I am very partial to starting behind the C1's.

That’s exactly how I feel as well. I will make the switch for that fact it will lower my operating costs and bring people back into class 10 (4) but without the sanctioning bodies recognizing the SCORE class 4. I will gladly keep my VW motors and run races where ever I want.

pjc

Chairman
RDC Crypto
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
That’s exactly how I feel as well. I will make the switch for that fact it will lower my operating costs and bring people back into class 10 (4) but without the sanctioning bodies recognizing the SCORE class 4. I will gladly keep my VW motors and run races where ever I want.

What is Savage's mentality on allowing the same motor in the single and two seat cars? Is that because it provides a better profit margin for him on the sealed motors that only he can handle !!!???!!! Eff That!

Any of you C10 guys that wanna ditch your Kroyer or Fat Honda for this cluster-fauwk, send me a PM.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
RDC Crypto
My guess is that this class wasn't created to get class 10 guys...it was designed for people who want to 'move up to' a buggy class that has modern technology, decent ride and lower operating costs than say class 10 or 12. If a guy already has a solid 10 program why change...I wouldn't. So your point (from a class 10 perspective) is totally valid. But for a guy who wants to get an older A-arm 10 chassis, put in a decent transmission and a $7k Ecotec...it makes some sense (at least to me).

Last edited: