• Forum membership has its advantages....

SCORE GPS File problems

The Rooster

I was lucky enough to get put in charge of loading the route on the GPS (first time) and having problems. For starters the score site had two files, looks like one is the first early miles out of town and one is the rest of the race. I downloaded the whole race file (.pdf) which when loaded on my Lowrance HDR 5 Baja unit and it pulled up two slightly different sets of waypoints under two different file names (.urs or something) I then saved both and converted them to routes, loaded them in different colors, and hit start route in forward direction just to see what would happen. Now I have two routes full of flags and VCP's, my GPS says it can't locate my vehicle, and I'm not feeling good about this at the moment... WTH, I'm lost. What's the correct procedure here for set up when your away from the course racers? Thanks in advance

swiftracing5

Your post is a bit confusing. PDF is the file type for the paper course notes. You should be downloading the lv4 usr file, on the site it says "for newer units". And I don't suggest using any navigation or route planning like you tried. Just load it and use the cursor to pan down to Baja to see if the map is loaded and you can see it.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

The Rooster

my post is confusing :) ha! you should see the rest of my life. Thanks for the advice, I called Rugged and that's kind of what they said too. Don't try to turn on route finding, just follow the lines... Obviously you know what your talking about. So question: when I downloaded the file from score it was one file, but when I opened it on the gps there were two sets of waypoints to be converted to routes and displayed. I displayed both and together they seem to make up the entire course, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. I compared it against a paper map....know anything about this?

swiftracing5

Well score now only uploads zipped files. That way they are smaller and don't take as much bandwidth when they post them. You have to make sure you unzip it. Once you download it on your computer, right click on the file and click "extract" and it should now pull out the single file you need in its entirety. Then at that point drag that onto your sd card. If you haven't unzipped it it won't work, I am not sure if it will cause the problem you are having though but just make sure.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Stuck Sucks

Bob S. sez: before loading anything, delete ALL old waypoints and routes - you may be seeing both old and new stuff. If you delete everything, you are starting fresh.

PCI has a very helpful "cheat sheet" for installing files on new and old Lowrances.

PaulW

Rooster
Dont know what an HDR 5 Baja is?
However There are the two versions of Lowrance GPS file . For old units and new units
Use the file for old units for old Globalmap units and early HDS units like Gen 1 and Gen2 with SW version 2.5 or older. For Other gen 2 use the newer USR file like you would for any Gen 3.
So for your GPS try loading the old unit and see if it works. If not then try the newer version. The PCI cheat sheets are correct for old or new in regard to loading & deleting files. Please do not do any thing unless you remove old stuff.
Remove files, tracks,routes and waypoints.
BTW, we never use routes.
PW