• Forum membership has its advantages....

score primm race

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
To Score and all the volunteers thanks , I am glade that the primm race went on as planed . We must not let the terrorists run our lives . But tell me this why did the pro-dirt guys have there awards at the same time as scores but at primm valley ? Do all the racers in pro-dirt think they are above the rest of us ? Do they not want to see anyone else receive there awards ? Or was it that the mini metal guys made 3 times the amount that they did ? Lets all look at the big pitcher . We all need to have or awards at the same place at the same time .

johnnyspeed

The big "pitcher" is that that is the time that they could get and wanted their awards ceremony, ( who wants to listen to Sal BS, and how Troy couldn't have got the win without his helocopter - oh wait, he probably didn't mention that part!), and quite frankly, a lot of them are better than us (I don't know what class you race in, or if you race, but I don't have the skills or $$$ for class 1), and they ARE working together for the sport! The prodirt deal was a huge success! I understand that for 2002 they will have even more people, AND there is a "rumor" that Herbst is building a prodirt car??? And I am alos pretty sure that the top 3 class 7 guys and their "mini metal bash" event did not result in more winnings than the prodirt top 3, not to mention the year end points bonuses for the top 3 in points! The class 7 event was just like what prodirt did! And it was a GREAT idea/event! (other than there were too many of those slow trucks out there to PASS!!!) HAve you seen what the 1600 group is doing for 2002? Same idea as the prodirt guys!
Bottom Line: Don't bash the prodirt guys for wanting to have their own ceremony when they wanted it!
P E A C E O U T !!!
P.S. All the American Flags on the cars and trucks were WAY COOL!

BradM

The ProDirt awards banquet was at 7:00 and the SCORE awards banquet was at 9:00. I don't see a conflict. I attended the ProDirt awards banquet and it was good display of the class of people that make up ProDirt. ProDirt was for the class 1 racers who participated and their associates but I didn't see anyone turned away at the door.

I don't know what the payout was for the mini metal deal but there was about $50k handed out by ProDirt for the top 3 at Primm and for the season combined. I doubt the mini metal numbers even come close, but I could be wrong.

There's no such thing as "good enough"

frankh

The problem was we were to drunk to make it back in time.

Brad thanks for your help.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Johnny you missed the score awards I can tell that . And I think you missed the race . Troy was running mid pack 1st 2 laps . 3rd lap he moved up but he was very conservative because of all the dust. There were 2 cars beating him on the 3rd lap . They were going much faster than he was at the north end spectator area and they were in the dust 2 out of the 4 laps they went by . It looked like troy was racing against the track and the rest were racing to stay ahead of him and the track beat them . Mccracan was looking good he could have beat any pro-dirt guy if they were in a 1600. But you missed the awards and the chance to here the class 9 winner let sal and score have it for not having the time to talk to him . And he was right if you won the race in a class 9 or 7s or class 1 you were a winner . I wanted to have a chance to cheer for all the winners because they deserve it . But because of the big egos of the pro-dirt I couldn’t . Johnny I think that the mini metal challenge , pro-1600 are good ideas but the 7s had there awards with score and 1st place was $14,000 I would like to think that the 1600 guys would too.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by vegasracer on 09/17/01 10:31 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

johnnyspeed

Actually I was at the race, and in the race. I rode the first two laps. (we went from 3rd in class 10 to 7th with less than a mile to go!!!!! (broke an axle on the start of the main pit road - hearst breaker!) I believe that Brad was right in that the prodirt was at 7 and the score at 9 ??? I was talking with Julson right before he went to the prodirt ceremony and that's what he thought it was????
As far as Troy's deal, you are right, he did not lead wire to wire. We we pitting with julson/lofton, and they were fighting each other all day. Julson got in for laps 3 and 4, and was able to get but everyone but troy in the end for 2nd in class, first in prodirt. He and troy passed each other a number of times (flats...) he told me that when he new he was in first for prodirt, and second to troy, he just decided to hold it, and not do anything stupid trying to pass troy (he was having flashbacks to the baja 500 - when he was leading overall with about 20 miles to go, and went to pass the herbt TT and hit a big rock...) My comments on the helo are 100% correct though. Especially on a course like the prim with all the dust. One the start of their lap 4, we all watched the helo get low enough to blow some of the dust away along the dry lake bed for him! Herbst can do all that because they have an unlimited budget, and that's fine with me, I know if I did, I would!!
The whole prodirt deal was a chance for the class 1 guys to throw some money in a pot, and try to get some payback money - as we all know, SCORE's payback ain't nada.
Anyways, that's what I know, take it easy, good chating with you! Take it easy.....

Dave_G

RE: My comments on the helo are 100% correct though. Especially on a course like the prim with all the dust. One the start of their lap 4, we all watched the helo get low enough to blow some of the dust away along the dry lake bed for him!

The helicopter you saw was probably not the Herbst helo. Ever since the World trade Center attack there has been a ban (and it continues per NOTAM) on all FAA part 91. VFR operations in the national air space. Only IFR operations are being allowed from point to point. Only law enforcement, news media, and medivacs have approval for VFR operations as of last thursday. The Herbst corporate helicopter would have to be operating VFR for the race not IFR so it would not be allowed per the FAA. Was the helicopter black?? If it was, it was a medivac.

Dave

scott

The only helo I saw @ Pit B was maroon colored and it looked like it was doing aeral footage. I didn't even see Herbst helo besides on the ground at the airport or landing pad just outside of Jean....

frankh

I'm not commenting on what the chopper was doing, but on lap 1 and 2 there was a dark red one right behind there TT and class 1. It may have been a news media one but it seemed to only following them. I can not say about lap 3 and 4 because I was in the car.

Tony_Barraza

Dave G. is correct about the ban on VFR operations. The Terrible Herbst helo remained at home in Las Vegas. In addition to this, not one of the three pilots utilized by Terrible Herbst Motorsports was in town for the event. Anyone who has ever seen the Herbts helo knows"BIG RED" and the fact that the helo features all the same decals as the two race vehicles, its pretty hard to mistake it for another. I know for a fact the Herbst's were competing with a heavy heart, and that was matched only by a heavy right foot of drivers Ed, Tim & Troy!

I would like to congratulate EVERY competitor, team member, spectator, vendor and SCORE official for an outstanding effort. After a week of horrific events, it was comforting to see so many friends and familiar faces enjoying a mutual interest

Congratulations to Terrible Herbst Motorsports for their Overall/Class 1 win, and Third place finish in TT!

Congratulations also to the entire Enduro Racing/Duralast team for their awesome effort and clean run to the Trophy Truck win! That team deserves every win they get!

Looking forward to the BITD V2R in a couple of weeks!

Best of Luck to all!

Tony

desertracer

Before the race started, I was on the radio talking to my car and then all of a sudden LAX airtraffic controll cut in and wanted us to identify ourselves and state where we were. After we did this they were totally cool. Did anybody run into this problem? I wonder if they were monitering all race frequency's?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I didnt have anybody ask who I was but I got some airpline converstions on our race freq. It was only when a plane was overhead.

When in doubt, GAS IT!

BradM

I was at pit B most of the day. It was obviously not the bright red Herbst helo but from what I saw it was definitely following the Herbst truggy. That helo came through pit B at the same time as the truggy all day and when the truggy stopped to change a right rear tire, the helo circled around and then hovered until Troy left. I am not saying that it is Herbst's helo, I don't know that for sure. What I am saying is that it was following the 100 truggy all day. I don't know about the restrictions on air space or why it was officially there.

There's no such thing as "good enough"

Waldo

Safehouse
Desertracer-your radio transmission that was interupted sounds kind of weird. Most commercial airline frequencies are below 139.000 (along with their remote stations) and most race frequencies are in the 150.000 or 400.000 UHF bands. They might have been "scanning" additional frequencies for security purposes...but there are millions of frequencies with different PL tones so I would be difficult to monitor all of them. However it wouldn't surprise me after the cowardly act last week.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

~Waldo~

johnnyspeed

The helo was NOT the red herbst helo, this is correct, in fact as everyone knows, they usually have TWO helo's, one for each, and one is the red, and one is usually either maroon, or black.
The helo WAS following the truggy!!! it was NOT a media helo! (No speed vision air coverage!) I know the herbt get a lot of TV airtime, but I am pretty sure SV would not ONLY show the truggy!!! The helo followed no one but the herbst! At the beginning of the race it was trying to follow BOTH, but once the TT dropped out, it ONLY followed the truggy!
I was told that on Saturday morning, they received clearance to fly a helo. And if you noticed, it was always quite low, I believe there was some sort of restriction on how high they could fly. We had a LA county sherrif helo pilot in our pit and he was explaining it to us. We DID see the helo down around 40 feet across the dry lake bed blowing the dust!!!

Dave_G

RE:We had a LA county sherrif helo pilot in our pit and he was explaining it to us.

With all due respect that doesn't mean much. I'm also a reserve deputy pilot with the San Bernardino Sheriffs Aviation Division and the federal government sets the rules on flights and they are clear. VFR FLIGHTS ARE NOT ALLOWED. Your friend apparently was not well informed by FSS briefers about the airspace closures at the time or he really isn't a pilot. Only certain types of flights are being allowed and flying air support for a race is not one of them unless it was media or medivac. I doubt very seriously the Herbst Corporation would risk their entire air operations by breaking FAA mandated closures for some off-road race. You can read the NOTAMS yourself at www.nbaa.com</A> or www.aopa.org</A> or www.faa.gov</A>.

Dave G

Klaus

Administrator
In regards to to the Helicopter issue.

Terrible Herbst Motorsports tried to get there Helicopter out to the race but Las Vegas Tower would not sign of on it.

Both Mr. Herbst & the paramedic stayed at the semi all day. The helicopter is very important to the team for medical support and has unfortunately been used many times aiding other racers.

Troy ran a hard fought race and came out on top. There was no blowing dust out of the way or calling out bad spots to him. He ran a hard and smart race that resulted in a win. Talk like this takes away from the win that was truly earned by standing on the gas, as a lot of people can vouch for it, by seeing it in person.

Clifford

Ditto that Klaus. Troy was standing on the gas all day long. On laps 1 and 2 Troy came through pit B at 97 mph. This was the fastest overall speed through pit b. Quinn was closely behind Troy with a top speed of 94 mph. The shocker of all entrants was Steinberger on lap 3. Scott was a terror behind the wheel as he was gunned at 92 mph.

As it has already been stated the chopper was maroon in color with no obvious markings. (Other than the license number affixed to the tail section)The pilot followed truggy each time it came through pit b. As Troy experienced several tire issues the pilot would circle once over pit b and then wait for the truggy while the pit crew changed the tire.