screw size/type

singlehanded

Reaction
I bought a bed for my ranger with glass already on it-not in the best shape! The last time I went off roading / jumping all the screws broke out of the front passenger side(4 side ones ,one on top). I am going to remount them and then paint my truck. What is the best size and type/grade of bolts to use and how many should I use per side. Right now there are like 12 small bolts around the inside and 2 bars to the bottm. After I get the bedsides fixed I will be building a cage to mount my king bypasses, so It will flex a lot less than now and I wasnt sure if the cage would have been there before, the bedside might not have broken in the first place or should I get larger screws? Help..........thanks

P.S I want ot keep my bed for now!

local

cleartoy

Reaction
Use 5/16 bolts. Wood screws dont cut it. Just mount em like every foot at the top rails. Use a few at the rear. I think i used like 5 at the front of the bed in between the cab and bed.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
1/4 or 5/16 will be fine. Just make sure to use stainless or grade 8 hardware. Use blue loctite to make sure it all stays tight also..

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

ntsqd

Reaction
The best way to attach composite panels is with a lot of little fasteners with load spreading plates under them. Composites of any sort we're likely to see on a race vehicle don't like high localized loads, spread the load out as far as possible. Take a look at any IRL, Indy car, or F1 body tub where a bulkhead or suspension hard-point is attached and you'll see a lot of little rivets or what-not spread out over a large area.
Stainless fasteners are effectively Grade Zero. They might be as good as Grade 2, but I always expect them to be a 0 when choosing an application for them. Grade 8 is overkill and an unnecessary expense.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages