SD shop with a 7/8-18 LH tap?!

xjs4jeremy

Hey guys, I'm looking for someone in north county San Diego who has a 7/8"-18 left hand tap. I need to chase the threads in my tie rod to clean them up. I don't want to buy one as I have no extended need for it (unless my only option...though couldn't find one local so far). Just need to find a shop to run the tap in and out real quick, or someone who would let me use theirs for a few bucks. Thanks.

DBMETALWORX

just call irvan smith and get it over with...good chance you'll need it again.mittler bros may have it as well..google them , they have what you need.

mikeyfrombc

agreed tools like this can save your ass or another racers ass in times of need , IMO taps are like wrenches you can never have enough of them same with dies .

zukIzzy

Are you sure its not 7/8-14? That is the common thread for 7/8 Hiem joints
I think he has 1 ton rod ends not heims. Just a guess though,1 ton chevy rod ends are 18tpi.

OP if you are just chasing threads, use an old rod end and cut 4 flutes in it with a grinder. Be sure to cut them so they cut left hand on the left threads. Then use that as a chase and chase the treads. Use lots of cutting oil when you do i it and it will be fine. You are trying to make a quick and dirty tap with the grinder

Now if you are trying to cut new threads you need a tap or a lathe.

wayne

mikeyfrombc

I think he has 1 ton rod ends not heims. Just a guess though,1 ton chevy rod ends are 18tpi.

OP if you are just chasing threads, use an old rod end and cut 4 flutes in it with a grinder. Be sure to cut them so they cut left hand on the left threads. Then use that as a chase and chase the treads. Use lots of cutting oil when you do i it and it will be fine. You are trying to make a quick and dirty tap with the grinder

Now if you are trying to cut new threads you need a tap or a lathe.

wayne

ya the 18 tpi stuff is very common for tierod ends on cars and trucks