Sealing tubing through cab??

motoxscott

Reaction
What is the best way to seal around tubing that goes through the cab? Say I have 1-3/4" tubing and a 2-1/8" hole. I need something that will adhere to both, but still flex since the body still moves around a little, even after solid mounting the body mounts. It needs to be paintable too. Is their like a plumbers puddy or something that doesnt ever fully harden or is my only option silicon?

Thanks for any help in advance.

-Scott

ntsqd

Reaction
On Drag Cars we've just carefully cut out some aluminum patches and riveted them in place. You could make something like that, only don't fit them tight to the bar. Then on the inside use some rubber sheet to seal off the opening. That way you'd have your seal and something paintable too.
Some trucks I've seen had the tubes welded to the cab. Usually those were welded in a lot more places than just there though, any place where a tube came close to the cab was welded directly or had a fisch plate btwn the tube and the cab. I'll guess that is fine for a racer, but not a driver.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

BradM

Reaction
I don't know how well it would work for that application but go to an automotive paint store and ask them about different kinds of body caulk. It is very flexible, paintable, and generally pretty tough.

Jack

Reaction
I was thinking about this, and came up with this. Weld a small ring around the tube so the lip is inline with the cab skin, then get a large ruber graument or the rubber striping that is used to hold in glass. Just put that in, after paint and it should look clean seal out weather and still be plyable to a point. As long as the cage is tied in to the cab somwere near there and the rest of the chassie is fairly stiff it should work.

btshannon

Reaction
How about some Great Stuff? We made a cooler out of that (Great) stuff and a parts shipping bin. You should be able to pick some up at any hardware store.

My own taste for the hops is very powerful, and I had no intention of spending a beerless weekend...

ntsqd

Reaction
If we want to split hairs welding a ring around the tube will cause a knife edged stress raiser. Not a good thing, but depending on the use it may not matter. I would not do such a thing on a race truck, real pre-rnnr, or serious chase rig.
So instead how about welding the ring onto a piece of tube that 'just' fits over the existing tube, then mitre or fishmouth the ends (avoiding that knife edge again) and split it length-wise. Slide the two pieces into place and hose clamp them in place. Use a fancy ABA stainless clamp if it will show.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages