SEAT BELT CUTTERS

michael_loomis

Reaction
We just plan to use a couple easy to reach, well secured knives. Multi purpose and less weight in the race car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
We just plan to use a couple easy to reach, well secured knives. Multi purpose and less weight in the race car.
I have had guys tell me they needed a belt cutter to pass tech and they were sent to go get one by whoever was inspecting their race car. No cutter- no pass. SDHQ has provided me a pretty well stocked trailer and I hate when I fall short for anyone by not having what they need, especially to pass a safety requirement part of their vehicle inspection.

Now, I know that depending on who you get doing your actual inspection matters. Some people are super strict and others sometimes let things slide. (Not saying that's how it should be, just that that's how it is.)
So, I keep a printout of all the rule books on hand so we can be sure about things and not waste anyone's time with a car that wont pass its first time through. I've looked through all the books (BITD, SNORE, ULTRA-4) and can't find any place in any of them saying this is a required thing. But, still. People get sent to me all the time looking for them. I've even given my own personal utility knife away so a guy could pass and had that work out and then I've had that same situation not work out and been told that the inspector said it has to be an "actual belt cutting tool" and not just something that can "cut a belt."

Should something that can cut a belt be required? Yes.
Should it have to be specifically a specialty tool? No. Maybe?
Is this even a rule? I dunno but I do know it has been a thing that occasionally I am told a tech inspector won't pass you unless you have.
I would like to have a good, lightweight, legal and inexpensive one of these available.
And clarity if this is even a thing that's required because I am told it is but have yet to see it in writing in the rules.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction

Jack

Reaction
It's a good idea, but I can't say that I have even been stopped in tech fro La-Rana, MDR, MORE or BITD for over 20 years with at least 20 different vehicle builds to ask for a seatbelt cutter. Lots of other things that get interpreted differently by each different tech guy but not for this issue.

jon coleman

Reaction
i always had a knife in beetween seats,army type in a leather sheath, small breakable zipp tie for missle hazard reduction. never knew belt cutter rule, if u need to be cut from your belts that sounds serious.so i hope the people comming to help would have one as im not in to good a shape to find my belt cutter.

Fifty

Reaction

I just ordered 4 of these. I wanted to put two in my truck and two in the suburban. Figure it’s best to have one for each person in case the other is out cold or unable to reach and then you don’t have to stretch as far.

It’s advertised as being able to wrap around/mount to the sun visor. I tried 4 vehicles...2 American and 2 Asian and the straps would not make it around any of the visors.

It’s too long for a cage, too short for a visor... sent them an email and left a message. Hoping that I got a set of mistakes... because if there are the intended length... I’m going to have to learn how to stitch on nylon... unlikely.