• Forum membership has its advantages....

Sebastion Vettle leaving Redbull at the end of 14

harleys dad

Just read he is leaving and most likely will be at Ferrari next year. Only announced he was leaving but Horner kinda let the cat out of the bag about Ferrari. Good luck to him!

jiggyjay09

Heard Kvyat will replace vettel and vettel will be replacing Alonso, who's switching to mclaren. Not guaranteed but likely how it'll happen.

Mumzy

Most thought Hamilton had lost his mind when he left McLaren for Mercedes. Now look how that is working out for him.
Ferrari has deep pockets, and probably the most resources of anyone else in F1 - who else has an in-house "test" track? Why do you think they built the La'Ferrari? It sure wasn't to pacify a couple hundred billionaires with their fix. Those are rolling test mules returning to Dealers where Ferrari will fly in an engineer to look at every hiccup or cough whenever they can.
What other player is thinking along the same lines? Even Mercedes doesn't think like that.

Ferrari is in it to win. And Vettel most likely knows something we all haven't learned yet!

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
With Adrian Newey no longer taking an active role in designing RB cars after next year, I can see why Vettel would consider leaving. I find it more suprising Alonso is willing to risk his future going back to McLaren.

crazyeye

I thinks it probably good for him to leave redbull, but I wouldn't go to Ferrari. They've lost their way big time win it comes to racing.

Mumzy

Well the first round of pre-season testing is almost complete and who has the fastest cars so far?

I think we are going to see some good racing come Sydney and Gene Haas is a very smart man.

Ryan_P

With Sebastian and Kimi as a 1, 2 punch, Ferrari is looking strong. Good to see Sauber up there as well.

Has there been an announcement on drivers for HAAS?

Mumzy

You probably won't hear anything until the Austin race. Keep in mind it will be two drivers and a test driver so if HAAS keeps true to his word as far as a "true" US team that makes his choices between slim and one. Alexander Rossi is about it. Ignorant US Neckcar fans will be screaming for guys like the Busch brothers to fill the seats, but F1 is a whole different rodeo. The new FIA Super licensing rules not only require a full season in the lower formulas, but you must finish on the podium. Google FIA Super Licence and you can see the requirements. A driver can also qualify by finishing in the top four in Indycar. A NASCAR Licence and four quarters get you nothing but a dollar in F1.

Not that the talent isn't out there, but the days of rapid advancement due to being able to shoe something else and having a suitcase of cash, won't guarantee you a seat.

Last edited:

Chris Tobin

You probably won't hear anything until the Austin race. Keep in mind it will be two drivers and a test driver so if HAAS keeps true to his word as far as a "true" US team that makes his choices between slim and one. Alexander Rossi is about it. Ignorant US Neckcar fans will be screaming for guys like the Busch brothers to fill the seats, but F1 is a whole different rodeo. The new FIA Super licensing rules not only require a full season in the lower formulas, but you must finish on the podium. Google FIA Super Licence and you can see the requirements. A driver can also qualify by finishing in the top four in Indycar. A NASCAR Licence and four quarters get you nothing but a dollar in F1.

Not that the talent isn't out there, but the days of rapid advancement due to being able to shoe something else and having a suitcase of cash, won't guarantee you a seat.
I could see them making exceptions to get a US driver with a suitcase full of cash in an F1 car... But I would not be surprised if they do not use a US driver in the HAAS cars...

racer56

I could see them making exceptions to get a US driver with a suitcase full of cash in an F1 car... But I would not be surprised if they do not use a US driver in the HAAS cars...
Check out Michael Lewis, he has the FIA license and European formula car experience. He has even tested an F1 car, not bad for a kid from SoCal!

http://mjlracing.com/

Chris Tobin

That's cool! Introduce him to Gene Haas...

Mumzy

Unfortunately Lewis doesn't hold nor qualify for the coveted FIA Super licence. Besides he hasn't even sat in an F1 car in over 3 1/2 years - a lifetime for someone who hasn't raced in the top tier.

You never know he might be on the HAAS list???

My gut tells me it will be one Yank and an import for the race seats, and a Yank in the practice seat. Whoever the Yanks are, they will have a VERY short time to fish or cut bait unless they bring a ton of money to the party. Indycar unfortunately is in a season not unlike a 21 year old girl who can't figure out what to wear on a Saturday night. This will not produce the shoe that HAAS will need. That is why for the time being, he is going to have to look either south or east.

He may compromise (maybe a bad choice of a word) for a Mexican. This might end up being a great pick. The Mexican market is HUGE here in Merica' and they have dos conductores already in the game...with mucho denero!

Mumzy

OK....

There are three Yanks in F3 this coming season.

Gustavo Menezes - Stud. Won the F3 Championship last year and don't be surprised if at some point he isn't in a HAAS car.

Ryan Tveter - Trust fund kid from the Hamptons. As soon as daddy pulls the plug on the ATM card he's done.

Santino Ferruci - Young..lots of prospect. Has had a stellar kart career. This kid is the Fish of F3. Keep an eye on him he could really grow into a great driver if he lands in the right equipment at the right time.

Chris Tobin

OK....

Gustavo Menezes - Stud. Won the F3 Championship last year and don't be surprised if at some point he isn't in a HAAS car.

Ryan Tveter - Trust fund kid from the Hamptons. As soon as daddy pulls the plug on the ATM card he's done.

Santino Ferruci - Young..lots of prospect. Has had a stellar kart career. This kid is the Fish of F3. Keep an eye on him he could really grow into a great driver if he lands in the right equipment at the right time.
Those are Yanks??? The names sound European... Maybe Haas can get Scott Speed to drive. I think the kid has/had skills, just got too caught up in the RB lifestyle aspect of being a racer... And, you can't really have a better name in racing!!!

Mumzy

You have to understand that the shifting of drivers in F1 happens as fast as the shifting on the track. Speed had his chance and he is done. The ONLY reason KImi was able to return was that he was a World Champion and he had only been gone a couple of years. KImi is an exception to the rule and that only happens in F1 once every decade or so.

F1 is not NECKCAR. The Regan Smiths and Casey Mears's of the world don't get twenty sumpin chances. If your really talented, and really, really lucky you get one. We are talking about 11 or twelve teams that each have two cars and one "Friday" driver. That's thirty three guys that come from a world-wide pool. NASCAR has 43 who pretty much all come from the US - with an occasional exception.

Also the cars are night and day. A cup car is a big under powered, under braked tin can with an "aero package" of a Fed-ex truck. Where an F1 car not only has twice the downforce as a cup car weighs, but you are able to brake with no only the hydrolic system but also utilizing the KERS system. That KERS also is like having a small NOS system at your disposal. Two completely different driving styles, and the only similarities are four tires and a helmet. That is why I will say again. NO driver currently in the NASCAR ranks could be competitive in Formula One.

Mumzy

OK....

NAILED IT!!!!!

HAAS just announced Santino Ferruci as their development driver!