• Forum membership has its advantages....

Seeking to join SCORE/Baja motorcycle team

kris_r

Hi all!

First time poster. Go easy on me.

I'm a long time dirt bike rider from the Mt. Hood, OR area, though I've never competed except for a couple flat track races on vintage Yamaha XS650s. A long time goal of mine is to build a team and race in the Baja 1000. I'm hoping to find a motorcycle team heading to Baja in 2019 or 2020 that I can join (the SF250, Baja 500 or 1000) as a member of the support crew. I figure joining a crew would be a great way to get a lay of the land down there, understand the race and logistics and the process, and just learn from those that know. I'd prefer to join a motorcycle team, but any team would really do for the first time down there.

Background on me: my dad has been a mechanic for 40 years, he got me started wrenching on things when I was young, and I still rebuild motors regularly (2t and 4t singles, and multi cylinder vintage bikes). I think I can handle most things on a pit crew: tire/wheel swaps, fuel, minor wrench and repairs, etc.

My real strength lies in logistics. I'm a producer in advertising currently at a big footwear/sports brand based in Portland. My whole job is organizing moving parts, personnel, schedules, and budgets for advertising productions around the world. I'd love to bring this skillset to a team if it's needed.

Hoping this forum post will help point me in the right direction. Thanks all!

JDDurfey

You are on the right track. Racing in Baja can be a logistical nightmare. Joining a team to help out is a great way to get your feet wet before trying to race yourself. That is basically what I did. Although I never went on to race as the rider or record, I was the one of the main guys on a team for several years. I was also the logistics guy for a bike and two car teams. We were all under the same sponsorship and for one year I raced the bike and co-drove in a Class 1. Anyway, I am sure someone will let you join their team to help out when the races get closer.

kris_r

You are on the right track. Racing in Baja can be a logistical nightmare. Joining a team to help out is a great way to get your feet wet before trying to race yourself. That is basically what I did. Although I never went on to race as the rider or record, I was the one of the main guys on a team for several years. I was also the logistics guy for a bike and two car teams. We were all under the same sponsorship and for one year I raced the bike and co-drove in a Class 1. Anyway, I am sure someone will let you join their team to help out when the races get closer.
Thanks for the info JDDurfey! It's good to know that this method might yield results.

If you're connected to any teams currently, I'd appreciate an intro! Otherwise I'm just going to keep canvassing here.

JDDurfey

No I am not connected to any bike teams anymore. I have been out of racing bikes for about 10 years. I still follow the sport closely. I am now helping pit a Spec TT.

Another place to put your name out there is Thumper Talk. A lot more bike racers hang out there than here.

kris_r

No I am not connected to any bike teams anymore. I have been out of racing bikes for about 10 years. I still follow the sport closely. I am now helping pit a Spec TT.

Another place to put your name out there is Thumper Talk. A lot more bike racers hang out there than here.
Right on, thanks for the advice, I'll check thumper talk as well. Appreciate it!

mikefrick

Kris, What will you be racing? We could use support help, prerun partners etc. Big part of racing Baja for us is sharing time and experiences with like minded friends. We are a small team, and going with us would get you involved in as much or as little as you fit. I’m N of Seattle. Doing this from the NW is very different than shooting across the border from CA/AZ. Send me a PM if you’d like to meet up and see if we are a fit.

kris_r

Kris, What will you be racing? We could use support help, prerun partners etc. Big part of racing Baja for us is sharing time and experiences with like minded friends. We are a small team, and going with us would get you involved in as much or as little as you fit. I’m N of Seattle. Doing this from the NW is very different than shooting across the border from CA/AZ. Send me a PM if you’d like to meet up and see if we are a fit.
Mike, I'll send you a DM!

Dustino81

Mike -
Not sure if my DM went thru , I’m stationed at JBLM WA and will be making a solo run at the 1000. Maybe we can help each other out during the pre-run or something. Shoot me a text if you would like 949-338-1945

El Mamito USMC

if i make a race next yr, ill hit you up