selling my truck

Race8100

So, now that I have sold my 8100 truck, I feel compelled to share some of the interesting calls and emails that I fielded over the time spent trying to sell the thing. I guess this is more of a rant…

First off, IMO I advertised the truck as an 8100 truck, BITD legal. To me, if you are going to race 8100, why would you be concerned about racing any other sanctioning body? BITD is where the $$ is for that truck, and to me should be all that matters. So, all the people that called me wanting to know if the truck was SCORE legal because they wanted to race there, I just didn’t quite understand. There are so many other trucks out there that make so much more sense to purchase and race in SCORE than mine it blows me away. Be that as it may, some people wanted to race both and I can understand that. So, seeing how my truck is not SCORE legal (doesn’t have 2” cab cage), I had quite a few VERY interested people that decided (at least what they told me) that it was cheaper to build their own truck that was SCORE compliant then to convert my truck to 2”. How that made financial sense, I don’t know. Here you had a proven truck, with 3 ½ years of documented finishing results and all the bugs worked out and a truck that WORKS, ready to go and it’s better to spend who-knows how much time and $$ and DNF’s trying to get another truck ready…?? Oh well. Besides, converting my cab over would be max $4000 in labor at any shop, and then the cab could be designed to the new owners spec, right? Made sense to me.

Second, I had numerous people that called me VERY interested in the truck, ready to drive out and see it and give me a deposit (blah blah) that after they asked me for directions, would then ask me things like: are those camburg beams on the front end? Or, does it have a 4 link? Or, what major suspension modifications have you done? I’m sorry, but if you are seriously considering buying a race truck, wouldn’t you have done some research to know what 8100 (Stock Full, stock being the key word here) class is all about? Maybe it’s just me, but that seems to be fundamental.

Lastly, I had a guy call me that was (again) very interested in the truck (blah blah) that midway through the conversation (after explaining TO ME!!! what racing in a stock class is all about and how hard it is and how expensive --- as if I don’t know….!!!) that he wants to buy my truck and covert the front end to 4x4 with a SOLID FRONT AXLE!!! I wanted to drop the phone. His reasoning was that the ‘old style I-Beams/radius arms stuff is junk and doesn’t work and that a solid front axle works way better in the rough. All I wanted to do was to have him come out and let me take him for a ride in that I-Beam junk…

Oh well, the good side to the story is that my truck is going to a VERY good new (old) owner. The very guy that I bought the truck from 4 years ago has now bought it back from me. I don’t think there could’ve been a better end to this story.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
nice story mike, alot of crazies out there, It is a very nice truck and im glad it went to a good home.... solid axle in the rough..... ha! :D

JRod

fast-aid.org
Congrats on the sale of the truck. That is a great truck and with the right program will contnue to be very successful in stock full.

Pretty funny that whether selling a proven racetruck or a total lemon.... Tirekickers are still tirekickers....

nimrod

KOOK!
WAIT..... huh......I'm building a stock full and I just got done 4 linking the rear end!

It's waaay cool!!!

It should cycle over 33" and haul butt!!!

Are you saying that's not legal?????

If I race will I just be hit with penalty minutes or something worse and if so how many minutes? Do you think I can go fast enough to overcome the penalties? Man this is turning into a really big deal. DANG!

What I don't understand is the 4 wheel drive part. If I have a four link rear end do I have to put a live axle in the front to make the rear end legal. I think it would probably help with the silt so I'm okay with it if it helps the truck to pass tech.

Please let me know before 5:00 pm cause I'll be home from work then and I can weld up that front drivetrain tonight if I need to.

Race8100

Yup, bronco is the garage right now getting it ready for V2R. Think they'll be many others racing it?

OldStroppeTeam

wait..... Huh......i'm building a stock full and i just got done 4 linking the rear end!

It's waaay cool!!!

It should cycle over 33" and haul butt!!!

Are you saying that's not legal?????

If i race will i just be hit with penalty minutes or something worse and if so how many minutes? Do you think i can go fast enough to overcome the penalties? Man this is turning into a really big deal. Dang!

What i don't understand is the 4 wheel drive part. If i have a four link rear end do i have to put a live axle in the front to make the rear end legal. I think it would probably help with the silt so i'm okay with it if it helps the truck to pass tech.

Please let me know before 5:00 pm cause i'll be home from work then and i can weld up that front drivetrain tonight if i need to.
GO back to your buggy,DORK! I don't think we can explain Full Stock in a way you would understand !!

Baja Fool

So, now that I have sold my 8100 truck, I feel compelled to share some of the interesting calls and emails that I fielded over the time spent trying to sell the thing. I guess this is more of a rant…

First off, IMO I advertised the truck as an 8100 truck, BITD legal. To me, if you are going to race 8100, why would you be concerned about racing any other sanctioning body? BITD is where the $$ is for that truck, and to me should be all that matters. So, all the people that called me wanting to know if the truck was SCORE legal because they wanted to race there, I just didn’t quite understand. There are so many other trucks out there that make so much more sense to purchase and race in SCORE than mine it blows me away. Be that as it may, some people wanted to race both and I can understand that. So, seeing how my truck is not SCORE legal (doesn’t have 2” cab cage), I had quite a few VERY interested people that decided (at least what they told me) that it was cheaper to build their own truck that was SCORE compliant then to convert my truck to 2”. How that made financial sense, I don’t know. Here you had a proven truck, with 3 ½ years of documented finishing results and all the bugs worked out and a truck that WORKS, ready to go and it’s better to spend who-knows how much time and $$ and DNF’s trying to get another truck ready…?? Oh well. Besides, converting my cab over would be max $4000 in labor at any shop, and then the cab could be designed to the new owners spec, right? Made sense to me.

Second, I had numerous people that called me VERY interested in the truck, ready to drive out and see it and give me a deposit (blah blah) that after they asked me for directions, would then ask me things like: are those camburg beams on the front end? Or, does it have a 4 link? Or, what major suspension modifications have you done? I’m sorry, but if you are seriously considering buying a race truck, wouldn’t you have done some research to know what 8100 (Stock Full, stock being the key word here) class is all about? Maybe it’s just me, but that seems to be fundamental.

Lastly, I had a guy call me that was (again) very interested in the truck (blah blah) that midway through the conversation (after explaining TO ME!!! what racing in a stock class is all about and how hard it is and how expensive --- as if I don’t know….!!!) that he wants to buy my truck and covert the front end to 4x4 with a SOLID FRONT AXLE!!! I wanted to drop the phone. His reasoning was that the ‘old style I-Beams/radius arms stuff is junk and doesn’t work and that a solid front axle works way better in the rough. All I wanted to do was to have him come out and let me take him for a ride in that I-Beam junk…

Oh well, the good side to the story is that my truck is going to a VERY good new (old) owner. The very guy that I bought the truck from 4 years ago has now bought it back from me. I don’t think there could’ve been a better end to this story.
Great story, thanks for posting it!

johnnyweb

Great story! Glad to see it got a good home. Hope to see it race again.

trent06

Mush

Sounds like your happy with how the truck ended up, any ideas what the owner plans to do with it, or when its debut race would be?

Zambo

Solid axle stock full trucks are ridiculous. It'll never work. It is simply NOT POSSIBLE for a solid axle truck to beat an I-beam truck.

johnnyweb

Solid axle stock full trucks are ridiculous. It'll never work. It is simply NOT POSSIBLE for a solid axle truck to beat an I-beam truck.
I believe the point was that no one in there right mind would convert an Ibeam truck to solid axle for desert racing. You and others before you have made solid axles work well and we or I respect that. However Ibeam's are still better!! HaHa

dislocated1

So Felix bought the truck back..... that is cool.... always did like that truck

nimrod

KOOK!
GO back to your buggy,DORK! I don't think we can explain Full Stock in a way you would understand !!

alright already!!! Sheeze tough crowd......

I tired to rep you but the gizmo wouldn't let me.......

My stock full is a Class 11........Boo Yaa!!! Buggy Dork!

Anyways glad you got to sell the truck and that you didn't have to sign up for court mandated anger management classes after dealing with the Lookie Lou's

<Cody Agee>

Whippersnapper!
hahahahha the guys who go "dude does that thing has fox shocks and 4 link what a bad a** truck" they are very entertaining

maxyedor

Baja 1000 NUFF SAID!!!
Yep, name one guy making money on his race program right now. I'll give you some time to think about it.

Okay, times up, there's not a single race program that operates in the black, or anywhere close to it, true, in some series certain classes have decent payback, but when you break it down they're still operating at a loss. Desert racing is a hobby, not a profession, and as such why limit yourself as to where you can race for fun? A SCORE legal truck can race anywhere in the desert, so maybe BITD has better payback in stock-full, but does BITD have any races in Mexico? The SCORE tag is also an assurance that the truck is built to a certain set of standards, as nutty as many people feel the SCORE tech process is, it's a fairly decent standard to judge a truck by.

Congrats on the sale, and as long as the classifieds are open to anybody, you'll get the crazies calling. Ever try and sell a set of brand new coil springs? You wouldn't believe how many requests for more info, or more pics you get, and really besides brand new, brand, length and spring-rate, what more could anyone possibly needs to know?

klaus

Administrator
Selling things in the classifieds is always an adventure. I sold a car on craigslist and had a very detailed description of the cars highlights and issues. Yet every call I got asked the same questions that are answered in the ad itself. "Is it a v8?", "Is it a stick shift?", Is it a convertible?", "So what is wrong with it?" etc.

You have to answer them as you try to off load the car but deep inside you know and also wish that whoever is calling will not be the right buyer. Frustrating. I now feel for some of you sales people out there.