• Forum membership has its advantages....

Semi-vintage buggy suspension

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Ok...I have seen a lot of wild stuff, but each rear corner of this buggy appears to have four shocks, 3 regular, one SUPER early bypass and a sort of secondary bump stop-jounce twin shock set up. Thoughts or opinions? I am thinking circa mid to late 80's.

Attachments

Bro_Gill

Yes, probably mid to late 1980s. Looks like a Shocktec bypass on the main stack and a couple smooth bodies on the secondary torsion bar set-up behind it. I am guessing either a Raceco or Mirage unlimited car. Not one of the McDonalds cars, is it?

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
No not McDonald's car. Raceco. Six shocks per each rear corner. How cool is that? Gill what is the story on the Shocktec stuff. I have never heard of them.

jsallenbach

Think that's a mid to late 80s Raceco. Was talking with Dave Kreisler about that style setup Saturday night at the sprint car races.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Thanks for the input. I (we) love these old race rigs. I thought the Beer Hauler was goofy for having a total of 12 shocks, but this single seat buggy has 16. Some people cringe...I LOVE IT.

harleys dad

where did you find it? Frank Snook owned a single seat Race-co with Mc Donalds on it that Eric Arras drove that had shock tech shocks made by Rick Haslow, I dont remember very many class 1 cars with Shock tech shocks on them as the super majority ran straight up plain Bilstiens.. Can you post a picture of the car, each Race-co was different and Frank Snooks car I would recognize. Great find, the 16 shocks a lot ran were replaced every race, could you imagine the shock bill alone every race

Bro_Gill

Rick Hasselieu ( I think that is a close spelling!) took bike shock knowledge and pushed it into buggies back in the early 1980s. 2" bypass shocks (that most are design based on now) but kind of crude compared to todays stuff. I think the idea was there, but the technology just wasn't pushed hard enough to make it past the development stage. Too small of piston/shock volume to overcome what became bigger heavier cars with Porsche 6s and Hewlands. They worked on the lighter cars like 1600s no problem. Now we see 4.4" shocks to overcome those problems. The Snook car that Dave is talking about was prepped and eventually driven by Eric Arras who was a Shocktech guy and ran them on his 5-1600 car when it dominated.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
As soon as I get the buggy to my shop I will post up some pics of the whole car. Now the body is off and most is covered in tarps, so hard to show. From what I understand, the owner wasn't any of the people mentioned above. King Dave...yes, I will have to figure out a shock combo that won't bankrupt me, haha. I am hoping to keep all rebuild-able shocks and replace the other ones with either Bilstiens or WER's of the width that conforms to both BITD and NORRA rules for a mid 80's car. The rules say 'no bypasses' but I think I might be able to show that they were on the car during that era. Yes/no? Anyway it is the beginning of the project so lots more to come.

Rick originally worked for Mickey when he was selling shocks back in the mid 70s before starting Shock Tech out of his parents garage. His by-pass stuff worked pretty good, multiply shocks were needed to deal with heat and because there was no check valves used. Quite a few of the Raceco's ran Ricks stuff.

NIKAL

Yep the Shock Tech's were some of the first bypass shocks, and its true Rick Haslow learned about bypass via Mickey Thompson. If what I was told is correct Rick worked for Mickey back in the Challenger days and Rick helped build the cars and the shocks for those cars. After that he started his own company "Shock Tech". I also think Rick might have been the first to machine the shock & reservoir bodies to help cool them. Also no one was building reservoirs the same length as the shock bodies. My race partners dad Steve "Animal" Lakin was running them back in the early - mid 80's and might have been the first to be running them on a 5/1600. Either Animal or Eric Arras? We ran a set of Shock Tech's on our 5/1600 in the early 2000's, 2003 to be exact and we were winning on them, and because they were only 2.0's it was causing some to question if we were cheating some how. I believe all the 2.0 shocks were using Bilstien internals, and the 2.5's ran a piston that Rick was making? We still have a few and I think I saw some 2 tube 2.5's cans on a shelf somewhere? I think the 2.5's might have been off of Max Razzo's class 5 car? Not sure if they are still around, but we had a bunch of Modified Bilstien's that Rick had done and they had aluminum fin sleeves slid over the shock bodies to aid in cooling. King Dave would remember those!

Ran into Rick several years back and he said he was thinking about getting back into the shock game, but a course that never happened.

You can see the Shock Tech's on the front and if you look close you can see another 2.0 Shock Tech in the rear in front of the 3.0 shock. We used the rear shock as a helper/ internal bump shock.
Nikal Motorsports.jpg

Last edited:

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Thanks for all of the feedback. I am assuming I could still race it in NORRA's Challenger class, since those bypass shocks were around in the mid-80's...yes/no? The bypasses appear to be 2.5". I wonder if I will be able to find parts to rebuild the bypasses with. I don't think the Bilstein's are rebuilbable. No clue what these front shock are. Any ideas?
ft shocks Raceco 1.jpg

TRichards

Look like Bilstein coil overs. You can call Bilstein direct in Poway. Talk to Shane or Dave if they are still there. Its been a while.

Bro_Gill

I am betting the internals of those shocks are 2.0, probably Bilstein pistons. Lots of folks who did custom shock work back then liked the quality and finish of the Bilstein stuff for their modified builds. The fronts are most likely Bilstein as well. The Fox coilover bodies back them were about the only other game in town and those aren't Foxes. Be glad they aren't the coilover cans, those were heat death to shocks on heavier cars. Also, I doubt that is the original front end on the car, looks more 2nd generation coilover build instead of the Wright or Raceco or Mirage plate tower front ends that originated the coilover set-ups. So, spill the beans with a whole chassis shot.

cosmo

Super Moderator
The front shocks look like the Bilstein 1103. Can't see from the picture but it should have a "longer" bottom eyelet. They are rebuildable by Bilstein. Or, if you don't want to stay stock, drill and add schrader valves. Then you have a serviceable shock.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
The front shocks look like the Bilstein 1103. Can't see from the picture but it should have a "longer" bottom eyelet. They are rebuildable by Bilstein. Or, if you don't want to stay stock, drill and add schrader valves. Then you have a serviceable shock.
Thanks for the info Cosmo.

It has shrader valves, so if I can get parts I can service. Assuming that they are IFP shocks, w/o a reservoir. But if not I guess I could add a reservoir(s).
photo 1 (3).JPG

cosmo

Super Moderator
All the parts are still "common parts". Heims, IFP O rings, teflon wear bands, 7100 series rod guides, dust wipers.