Send CA State Legislators letter to keep them from taking more OHV funds

ORBA Meg

Reaction
OFF-ROAD BUSINESS ASSOCIATION, Inc.(ORBA) and The American Motorcyclist Association, D37 Competition​

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CALIFORNIA LEGISLATORS CONSIDERING USING OHV FUNDS TO OPERATE STATE PARKS WHERE OHV USE IS NOT ALLOWED

California residents are urged to call their representatives and members of the Budget Conference Committee to ask them to not take money out of the OHV Trust Fund to operate CA State Parks where OHV use is NOT allowed

BAKERSFIELD, CA (June 12, 2009) The State of California is in the midst of a severe budget crisis. Some legislators in the State would like to destroy one of the only programs in the State that is self funded and does not use any general fund money. In 1971 the Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) community agreed not use general fund dollars to operate and maintain their system of recreation areas. Instead, this segment of the recreating public chose a pay to play system. The OHV Division of California State Parks is funded exclusively by taxes paid on gasoline used recreating off-highway, red and green sticker registration fees and entrance fees to the State Vehicular Recreation Areas (SVRA’s).

Earlier this year the OHV trust fund was already raided by the Legislature to lend the general fund $90 million that had been set aside for acquiring new properties. And now after that money has been sacrificed to the current budget crisis, the OHV community in California is being asked to give more! When will this madness stop? Why destroy one of the only successful and fully self funded programs in the State? Instead, our representatives are looking to steal the money of hard working OHV recreating families. The leaders of this State should attempt to emulate the success of the OHV program in order to properly fund other non OHV State Parks that are in need of operating funds.

Below you will find the contact information for the members of the Budget Conference Committee who will be considering this irresponsible action. Please contact them as well as your local representatives and express your displeasure with the idea of using OHV trust funds to operate California State Parks where OHV use is not allowed. Below you will find a template letter that can be personalized and faxed or e-mailed to the members of the Committee. This template letter can also be found on the AMA D37 message board at http://www.district37ama.org/forums/ in both the off-road and dual sport forums. Together the OHV community can make a difference!

2009 Budget Conference Committee Members

Assembly

Noreen Evans - Fax 916-319-2107 (phone 916-319-2007) (Chair)
Roger Niello - Fax 916-319-2105 (phone 916-319-2005)
Bob Blumenfield – 916-319-2140 (phone 916-319-2040)
Kevin de Leon - Fax 916-319-2145 (phone 916-319-2045)
Jim Nielsen – Fax916- 319-2102 (phone 916-319-2002)

Senate

Denise Ducheny - Fax 916-327-3522 (phone 916-651-4040) (Chair)
Bob Dutton - Fax 916-327-2272 (phone 916-651-4031)
Mark Leno - Fax 916-445-4722 (phone 916-651-4003)
Alan Lowenthal - Fax 916-327-9113 (phone 916-651-4027)
Mimi Walters - Fax 916-651-4033 (phone 916-651-4033)

Above you will find a list of the 2009 Budget Conference Committee Members. If one of your legislators is on this committee then please send a letter to them. If not, please send a letter to the chair of either of the committees or both.

Dear (insert name of Legislator):

My family enjoys recreating together on off-highway vehicles. This is one of the few activities that everyone in our family can participate in together. I am also aware of the fact that the state of California is in the midst of a serious financial crisis. It is my understanding that the state is considering using OHV trust fund dollars to fund parks that do NOT allow OHV use. I am strongly opposed to this idea.

In 1971 the Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) community agreed not use general fund dollars to operate and maintain their system of recreation areas. Instead, the OHV recreating public chose a pay to play system. The OHV Division of California State Parks is funded exclusively by taxes paid on gasoline used recreating off-highway, red and green sticker registration fees and entrance fees to the State Vehicular Recreation Areas (SVRA’s).

Earlier this year the OHV trust fund was already raided by the Legislature to lend the general fund $90 million that had been set aside for acquiring new properties. And now after that money has been sacrificed to the current budget crisis, the OHV community in California is being asked to give more! When will this madness stop? Why destroy one of the only successful and fully self funded programs in the State? Why are these representatives looking to steal the money of hard working OHV recreating families, like mine? The leaders of this State should attempt to emulate the success of the OHV program in order to properly fund other non OHV State Parks that are in need of operating funds.

Sincerely,

Your name
& address

###

ORBA is a national trade association composed of off-road related businesses united to promote common goals that support the prosperity and growth of the off-road industry.

TomJeeps

Reaction
I hope this also means ORBA intends to persue recovering the $90 Million allready taken from the trust fund, seing no realiztic way the State can pay it back I can't see calling it a loan...TJ:eek:

ORBA Meg

Reaction
The Fax number for Mimi Walters is incorrect in my press release. I do not know how to edit in this forum. The correct fax number is 916-445-9754. Sorry! If a moderator wants to edit my original post I would REALLY appreciate it!!

Have a good weekend everyone!

steviegnsc

Reaction
Brc california ohv fund update:

So it looks like we're starting to circulate this information a little better and starting to have "some" impact to what the talking heads are doing with our money:). Here's a responce message I received this morning from the Blue Ribbon Coalition who really does seem to be doing a good job at getting "timely" information out as it becomes available, good job guys!

Conference Committee keeps OHV money in OHV account, votes to increase non-OHV state park entrance fees by $15.

Dear BRC Alert Subscriber,

BRC wants to thank those folks in the OHV community who took time out of their busy schedules to send in letters to their elected state representatives regarding potential fiscal impacts to the California OHV Program.

OHV organizations and individual recreationists from throughout the state asked their legislators not to redirect the gas tax money to non-OHV state parks or other non-OHV-related programs or departments. Because of your efforts, the senate/assembly conference committee decided not to appropriate OHV trust fund money to subsidize non-OHV park costs.

According to a spokesperson for the Coalition for Public Access, the committee proposed that there be a $15 increase to the Motor Vehicle Account (MVA), which, unlike the Vehicle License fee - a personal property tax - is an actual fee.

Thanks again to all of you who decided to make a difference and be a champion for the California OHV Program. We’ll keep you updated of any potential shenanigans in Sacramento.

Don Amador
Western Representative
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 107

TomJeeps

Reaction
An email sent to CORVA members

OHV Trust Funds Saved!

Late yesterday we received word that the joint legislative committee found an alternative funding source for State Parks. This proposal would increase registration fees for motor vehicles by $15. Because this is a fee and not a tax, it can pass the legislature with a simple majority.

It was also proposed that this fee allow free entry to State Parks for day use. The rationale is that the majority will never visit the parks anyway.
We’d like to thank those of you who sent letters to members of the Budget Committee in response to our emergency communication. That sent a strong message to legislators to "keep their hands off" our OHV Funds!

Thanks CORVA Members
I dissagree they still have $90 Million from the last time, the Org's late actions are wellcome of course, but I'm far from any beleive the program can function with the sweep of this money $90 MILLION$$$...TJ

racer951

Reaction
We're not out of the woods yet. The Republican caucus will not vote for an increase in the car tax. I believe it to be a tax and not a fee. The Dems tried this in December, got sued, and backed down.

On the budget, Steinberg gets it but Bass and the Assembly Democrats are way off from the other 4 of the "Big 5".

steviegnsc

Reaction
An email sent to CORVA members

I dissagree they still have $90 Million from the last time, the Org's late actions are wellcome of course, but I'm far from any beleive the program can function with the sweep of this money $90 MILLION$$$...TJ
That doesn't surprise me, you seem to find a disagreement with most things posted here, good or bad!;) WADR to your impressive resume TJ on issues regarding our lands, I could only hope they were undertaken with more thought and consideration than the above.

So is this a good sign or a bad one? Are you for or against the few positives we receive?:confused: I see this as possibly getting through to the necessary parties that we are against and aware of the efforts to come after that money and that there's a purpose for them.

Please try to be more clear about your posts, the above is non-sense at best and confusing on any level;).

TomJeeps

Reaction
As other's have stated it's not time to signal all clear, and let us not forget we're still down $90 Million other than that thanks to all, that finaly took some action on this issue...TJ

TomJeeps

Reaction
We're not out of the woods yet. The Republican caucus will not vote for an increase in the car tax. I believe it to be a tax and not a fee. The Dems tried this in December, got sued, and backed down.

On the budget, Steinberg gets it but Bass and the Assembly Democrats are way off from the other 4 of the "Big 5".
Ok I'm I now to call the Republican budget hard liners, tell them I'm willing to pay a "car tax" for Parks (non motorized), to keeps Democrats from raiding our OHV trust fund:eek:

"Bass and the Assembly Democrats are way off"

On another note Bass the Assembly speaker still has 2 OHMVR Commission appointments to make, only 7 of 9 seats are filled just to thicken the plot for ya
...TJ:p

steviegnsc

Reaction
On another note Bass the Assembly speaker still has 2 OHMVR Commission appointments to make, only 7 of 9 seats are filled
Maybe we can get an Ex-CEO of FORD in there so they have a place to run their new Raptor:cool:.

TomJeeps

Reaction
I called Speaker Bass or the office at least when she first go tapped as Assembly speaker, I asked the Staff person who took my call if anything would be in the works to fill these seats. The exact words where "WE HAVE 2 APPOINTMENTS ON WHAT COMMISSION?"...TJ:p

TomJeeps

Reaction
I heard on the news Parks supporters (non motorized) are seekiing another place to kick the can down the road, if the car tax thing wont fly, why can't they do like we did and just fund their own program. Then agian it would just get raided like ours did, I'd like to see them just let $90 Million pass quietly into the night...TJ:p

TomJeeps

Reaction
Agian no budget deal, Republicans rejected the Democrats "plan" hinting in only funded their pet programs, so far no word their looking to get their fingers in our OHV fund.

But stand by and keep your powder dry;)...TJ

nohandslance

Reaction
Did the state start issuing IOU's yet, That was reported here in Reno. Apart from paying general utilities, did they pay back your state income tax refunds?

TomJeeps

Reaction
did they pay back your state income tax refunds?
Well I got mine at least but it was small, as far as IOU's that's coming next month the way things are going, they just don't get it the only way to close the gap is to change the laws so the State can live within it's means...TJ:p

TomJeeps

Reaction
From CORVA's WEB site

1/31/2009

Please tell the Governor’s to not raid the OHV Trust Fund to help balance the state budget!

Good News. The calls hundreds of you made to your legislators urging them not to borrow $90 Million from your Green Sticker OHV Trust Fund made a difference!! Reliable sources tell us the Governor has offered to borrow only $60 Million, leaving us $30 Million. I bet you would rather not lose any of your $90 Million Green Sticker Fund.
In order to do that we need to keep the pressure on. So Save The Trails has a created an easy way. Please click the below link and in just Two Minutes you can send the Governor a letter telling him to leave our $90 Million Trust Fund alone.. Your letter will be hand delivered to the Governor by CORVA.
This money has funded projects to benefit the environment as well as building and maintaining popular trails enjoyed by mountain bike, horse riding, hiking and OHV use, so everyone should be interested in preserving the Green Sticker OHV Trust Fund.
We want to generate at least 3000 letters in one week. That means we need everyone who reads this to send a letter. Please forward this alert to your friends, your club and anyone else who you think will want to help.
Also I never had a clue where this came from, the Governors office denies ever making this offer, but somebody had to release this so anybody what gives:confused:...TJ

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Ahhhh, a Democrats best friend, someone ELSES money!:cool: Fund their own program would mean work. I dont think many of us on here are surprised. It was predictable. Thanks for keeping us posted.

TomJeeps

Reaction
Ahhhh, a Democrats best friend, someone ELSES money!:cool: Fund their own program would mean work. I dont think many of us on here are surprised. It was predictable. Thanks for keeping us posted.
In a nutshell you collect as much as you can, at the same time ticking off as Little of the voters as you can, convince 51% your taking from the 49% and you can't lose...TJ:p

TomJeeps

Reaction
Dear Fellow Californian,

California is running out of time to find a real solution to close the state's budget deficit. In just a few days California will be forced to start issuing I.O.U's instead of tax refunds and payments to small businesses.

The time for action is now.

Email your legislators today to ask them to work day and night with the Governor and their colleagues in the Legislature THIS WEEK to find a solution to this budget crisis that does not raise taxes.

The last two budgets put forward by Democrats in the Legislature were not real solutions. They were partial plans that did not cover the entire gap and included tax increases.

The Governor will veto any incomplete plan and any plan that further burdens California taxpayers. Government must live within its means and learn to operate more effectively and efficiently. Just today the Governor said:

“I will veto any majority vote tax increase bill that punishes taxpayers for Sacramento's failure to live within its means. The legislature will have a difficult time explaining to Californians why they are running floor drills the day before our budget deadline. We do not have time for any more floor drills or partial solutions. It's time for the legislature to send me a budget that solves our entire deficit without raising taxes.”

Contact your legislators today, ask them to get serious about solving this problem with a solution that addresses the ENTIRE deficit without more taxes. Just click here to get started, it takes just a few minutes to make a difference.

Thank you!
The California Dream Team
From the Gov's office, do we really want to push this:confused:hate to thing where they'll look for the money...TJ:p