Settle an argument for me please!!

dags777

Reaction
My brother and I are arguing about what constitutes ironman-ing baja 1000.
Throw out your definitions to help end this bitter family feud which has my mum in tears seeing her babies fighting.....
Not really fighting but sounds good right!!!
Cheers.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

bobsson

Reaction
It's pretty simple, you start the race, race its entirety and finish it.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
In my opinion, there's only 1 Ironman. Ivan Stewart! Raced solo with NO copilot.

I call what BJ does, "soloing" NOT Ironmaning.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JDDurfey

Reaction
I agree with you Jorge. The "solo" motorcycle class is called Ironman. They are doing it all on their own, no co-driver to call out corners or change tires.

So I think the same should be applied to trucks and buggies. If you are in a single seater and have to do it all by yourself you are an Ironman.

Here is a question for the more knowledgeable....Did Ivan Stewart ever win the Baja 1000 as an Ironman in any class? Has anyone ever won the 1000 as an Ironman, i.e. solo no co-driver, in any class other than the Ironman motorcycle class?

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
1 seat vehicle with 1 driver. Nothing else is solo.

Huge difference having a person there to help you, even if you are the only driver. Call out dangers, fix the vehicle, change wheels in the field, or keep you company in the dark cold desert at night broken down.

BJ was mentioned, or RG... would they drive like they do if they had to be the guy changing the flat?

43mod

Reaction
I drove all of 2014 w 7 co dogs. I would not call it an Iron man. Long damn day for sure. I want a faster truck if I ever get to do it again.

J Prich

Reaction
To be clear, you came to the internet, where people argue, to settle an argument?

biggjim

Reaction
To be clear, you came to the internet, where people argue, to settle an argument?
To be clear, you came to Race-Dezert, where people argue, to settle an argument?

there....fixed it for ya!! LMAO

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Ivan Ironman Stewart. End of story, everyone else is soloing. Ivan is like Chuck Norris but with his own awesome video game so don't even think about trying to ironman. Ivan is so Ironman that they named a huge race in Hawaii that's considered the most difficult physical challenge on earth after him.
Ivan is so Ironman that Ironworkers are now called Ivanworkers.
Ivan is so Ironman that President Trump asked him to single handily build the wall but he said no cause he's busy digging a new Panama Canal tomorrow.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
From Wiki-

Racing career[edit]
In 1973, Ivan was scheduled to co-drive in the Ensenada 300 in a Class 1-2 buggy. His co-driver broke his leg, so Stewart drove the car, and won the race. After some additional conquest, he joined the Toyota factory team in 1983 for Cal Wells at Precision Preparation Inc. He won a total of 82 races. He has won a record 17 races in Mickey Thompson Entertainment Group's (MTEG) stadium series, a record 17 Baja 500's, three Baja 1000's, and SCORE International events. He has won ten point championships, including four SCORE World championships and three MTEG championships. He is the only person so far to win overall including motorcycles while driving a four-wheel vehicle solo in the Baja 1000.[1]

So it appears yes, he has won the 1000.

JayQC

Reaction
Ironman to me has always been to drive the entire race yourself without a co-dog. Whether the car has one or two seats doesn't matter.

If an extraordinary circumstance means that for example BJ's co-dogs can't race and BJ says well f*** it I'm driving anyway, then he's ironmanning the race in a non-single seater car.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Ivan is so Ironman that Chuck Norris asked him to teach him how to drive.
Ivan is so Ironman that his shirts are always wrinkle free straight out of the dryer.
Ivan is so Ironman that when he fishes he doesn't need weight on his line.
Ivan is so Ironman that he can change four tires at once....faster than you can change one

JDDurfey

Reaction
Ivan is so Ironman that Robert Downey Jr. called him for acting tips.

JayQC

Reaction
Ivan is so Ironman that "The Torch" sawzall blades are made of an advanced composite of hardened steel and Stewart's dental enamel.

JaysinDesignz

Reaction
There is only one Ironman and his name is Tony Stark.

dags777

Reaction
cheers for the help, and yeah I realise the irony of going to the net to settle an argument!!

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Tony Starks just wishes he could be as Ironman as Ivan Stewart!
Why do you think Tony picked the Ironman name??? Coincidence, I think not!!! jajaja

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Ivan is so Ironman that he doesn't need a special suit to fly, just a Toyota.