SF2500 Penalties ?

masleca

Reaction
I'm looking through Score's Class Summary Race Results and seeing nothing but *.
Has there been any explanation to all of the "Penalty Applied" to over half of the finishing field ?

Seems to me, that if this many people truly had "Penalty Applied", then there was something very lacking in the communication of whatever would have caused the infraction.
Am I missing something, or am I just looking for something to bitch about ?

There's a lot of good people with an * next to their name, that usually don't get penalties

masleca

Reaction
Ahhhh my bad. I see it.

It appears that Score must feel it's time to reel in the creative lines again.
In some of the huge washes and open areas, it's unfortunate that good pre-running and notes are probably gonna get penalized even more now.

Out at RM136 after Borrego, when you skirt the Power Sub-station, every top guy had a different line through there and everyone was yelling "Cheater" at everybody else.......
To me, that's just good preparedness.
Neither of the 4 or 5 different lines were any more than 200 feet or so apart. I know that is more than the rules allow, but everyone knows this area has many, many, many lines that could have been 1/2 mile apart.
It was just good clean Baja racing !!!!

swiftracing5

Reaction
With Stella it seems more penalties are being given, so my guess is more and more people are getting dinged for speed. Especially with the malecon start.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Ahhhh my bad. I see it.

It appears that Score must feel it's time to reel in the creative lines again.
In some of the huge washes and open areas, it's unfortunate that good pre-running and notes are probably gonna get penalized even more now.

Out at RM136 after Borrego, when you skirt the Power Sub-station, every top guy had a different line through there and everyone was yelling "Cheater" at everybody else.......
To me, that's just good preparedness.
Neither of the 4 or 5 different lines were any more than 200 feet or so apart. I know that is more than the rules allow, but everyone knows this area has many, many, many lines that could have been 1/2 mile apart.
It was just good clean Baja racing !!!!
The Power station area was open per the Race Director....who had the best line at the power station is the question? Not sure if we will ever know. I think the fastest line I think was on the bumps on the north side of the marked course but we didn't go there as the course wasn't marked through Borrego and we didn't want to surprise anyone.

masleca

Reaction
PAB you stayed to the South, which was rougher, but gave a straighter Shot into the little "juke" at the Power Line "Y".
The guys who stayed North had to make 2 semi-changes in direction to make it a truly fast line.

You had the best line in my opinion.
Can't tell you how awesome it felt to watch you 1st on the road for so long.
We were all praying good thoughts your way !!!!

redline

Reaction
We started to follow a class 1 car down the north line but opted out of chasing in their dust, clear cut to the south line, came out of it ahead of them, and never saw them again.

At the driver meeting it was announced "this is san felipe so it is different from the other races" and then we were told ALL lines were open as long as you do not cut too much course and you hit the vcps. The only 2 exceptions were do not "get lost" and end up on the highway or graded morelia road.

xrikester

Reaction
Did anyone else receive VCP penalties for VCP 40 and 41 for running the north line the Race Director said was OK to run?

xrikester

Reaction
It seems to me with the advent of the VCP's, desert racing has not changed in a good way, at least for bikes.. Being on a bike during a race and trying to hit a VCP seems to be quite different than having a co-driver with a large GPS in front of them. The placement of VCP's is really an issue. Why was one placed at RM 21? Looking at the satellite view, the other lines were all real close with no apparent advantage. VCP 06 seems to be placed solely to eliminate taking the eastern line. I discovered that one while on the eastern line and going over to the course I didn't notice any advantage. Prerunning with a bike and a GPS trying to study the course is a real challenge, even with no dust.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
The southern line was much better flat and straight. Could have made 2+ min on that line alone..That was the line of the race.

BrentB

Reaction
The Power station area was open per the Race Director....who had the best line at the power station is the question? Not sure if we will ever know. I think the fastest line I think was on the bumps on the north side of the marked course but we didn't go there as the course wasn't marked through Borrego and we didn't want to surprise anyone.
I totally agree. What VCP did you miss?

masleca

Reaction
[QUOTE=".....At the driver meeting it was announced "this is san felipe so it is different from the other races" and then we were told ALL lines were open as long as you do not cut too much course and you hit the vcps. The only 2 exceptions were do not "get lost" and end up on the highway or graded morelia road.[/QUOTE]

This was the only reason I asked the question to start this thread.....
This is San Felipe and it is well known to "....be different..." as far as enforcement of VCP. I really love the freedom that we are allowed here and a very prepared team can legally make some good time here BUT...
Go and compare last year's SF250 penalty report (36 vcp penalties & 9 speed penalties) to this year's (74 vcp penalties & 46 speed penalties) and it's apparent that there was some confusion.

These are the type of numbers for penalties that you would expect to see for a B1000.
I'm just confused, that's all.

Chainguide

Reaction
It seems to me with the advent of the VCP's, desert racing has not changed in a good way, at least for bikes.. Being on a bike during a race and trying to hit a VCP seems to be quite different than having a co-driver with a large GPS in front of them. The placement of VCP's is really an issue. Why was one placed at RM 21? Looking at the satellite view, the other lines were all real close with no apparent advantage. VCP 06 seems to be placed solely to eliminate taking the eastern line. I discovered that one while on the eastern line and going over to the course I didn't notice any advantage. Prerunning with a bike and a GPS trying to study the course is a real challenge, even with no dust.
After the 2009 penalty fiasco, I was very much involved with SCORE and the creation/implementation of the VCP system. It has proven it's value. The VCPs were designed to keep us out of sacred burial grounds and private farms, etc. Places that when destroyed by us were detrimental to the future of the sport. They were not designed to mark every corner of the course. The problem lies, as you have suggested, in the placement of them and their intent. Whoever is placing them is probably not a racer and I guarantee not a bike racer. This race should have had at the most maybe 20 VCPs to achieve the goal. When more racers receive penalties than those who didn't, then you as a Promoter must re-evaluate the methods and communications of how your are running the race.

Tuki

Reaction
Is SCORE handing a copy of the GPS data file to every racer?
Is that data available to everybody?

Chainguide

Reaction
Is SCORE handing a copy of the GPS data file to every racer?
Is that data available to everybody?
yes. you download it from the SCORE website and hope you get the most up to date version.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
I applaud score for making one file and sticking to it. I like to take scores file and make it more easy for me to read. So if they re release one it is a cluster f trying to clean up. And nothing worse than night before the race trying to get a file from the internet to the gps with out a computer. Al navigators and driver need to be at every meeting to understand any changes. This race was nice.. Still surprised that some top team still get vcp penalties. We have not had a penalty in 3 years.

copsmorgan

Reaction
Cops class one car, #150 was penalized 40 minutes and mistakenly dropped from second place. Turned out that this was due to a tracker failure, which was verified by the race director! We actually had zero penalties and a time of 5:06. Score finally corrected that on the class results list on their site. So in the end, we were put back in second behind the Wilson car, and we should be maybe 11th car OA. Trackers do fail sometimes!

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Cops class one car, #150 was penalized 40 minutes and mistakenly dropped from second place. Turned out that this was due to a tracker failure, which was verified by the race director! We actually had zero penalties and a time of 5:06. Score finally corrected that on the class results list on their site. So in the end, we were put back in second behind the Wilson car, and we should be maybe 11th car OA. Trackers do fail sometimes!
Nice... Our guys helped you change your tire even though your the competition ;)