• Forum membership has its advantages....

Shackels

Motorider

Ok. I though that I was understanding this pretty well, but I'm not getting it. When you have extended shackels, and it pivots during compression it will probably compress all the way to the frame, right? now what keeps it from hitting real hard, when it contacts the frame and continues it's compression? Is the reason for extending the shackels to get more sprung travel, or????
thanks

Attachments

DPpatrol

The reason the shackle doesn't hit the frame lies in the placement of the leaf spring mounts. As the top half of my highly acurate and detailed technical drawing illaustrates, the shackle mount on the rear of the frame is higher than the front leaf spring mount due to the shape of the frame. Because of this, as long as the shackle is placed in a proper location on the frame and the shackle is designed correctly, the shackle will not hit the frame. The second picture of a fully compressed leaf illaustrates this. However if frames were designed to be flat (which no frames which utilize leaf springs are) so the front and rear leaf mounts were placed at the same height as the lower 2 pictures illaustrate, the shackle would be able to hit the frame. Also If the shackle was poorly designed, you could get the same effect.

jason

Attachments

Motorider

ok. I understand that. If you look at my previous attachment, it looks like the shackel is soooo long that it would bring the pivot point down very near the front one as far as the elevation goes. So is this one just too long, or since the upper joint is much higher than the front it will allow it to pivot without impact?

thanks

DPpatrol

It is hard to say if it will hit without articulating the suspension. If it was designed right there should be no interferance.

jason

drtdevil93

every spring has a certain amount it will grow. for example, on a high arch 62" toyota spring, eye-eye is 47" at full droop, and 62 when it is flat. this gives a total of 15" of growth. it doesnt get any longer than that, cause when the spring goes to negative arch, the eye-eye get smaller once again, causing the shackle to move forward again. it all comes down to careful and thought out placement of the shackle.

erik