shackle design for 62" deavers on Tacoma

motoxscott

Reaction
Here's a shackle design I came up with. Let me know what you think. We're at 13" from bolt center to bolt center. The upper mount is located above the frame. We're using 62" deaver leaf springs and the axle currently cycles 21". Since it's located above the frame we arent able to cross brace the shackle in the center to give it side to side strength or it will hit the frame, so I've tried to brace each shackle and also have a plate connecting the two only on one side. The side that wont hit the frame when the shackle is at full compression.

Any input would be great, really the best thing is to try it and see what happens probably.

-Scott

I wish a had a CAD program so I could do some 3D stuff, but I dont. It looks much better in my head than on paper.

Attachments

• 6-22963-shackledesign.jpg
    6-22963-shackledesign.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 230

motoxscott

Reaction
Re: shackle design for 62\" deavers on Tacoma

Here's a picture of our test shackle.

Attachments

• 6-22964-topshackle.jpg
    6-22964-topshackle.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 266

drtdevil93

Reaction

seems pretty overbuilt to me. id step it down, save a little weight. and move the hump down closer to the bottom. the only strength that needs to be built in it is to eliminate the shackle plates from moving independently, and from buckling. the plate you put on top of the round brace, id eliminate.

erik

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction

Scott, that looks like what I put on paper for your brother yeterday:) It will work great!

motoxscott

Reaction

Yea, I liked the diamond shape to the base plate idea you had. I guess I'd rather over build it then under. Especially since the fuel cell will be at the back of the truck between the frame rails. I dont want a shackle to bend and go into it.

Now all I have to do is build it..........

Reading and posting on Race-Dezert at work is awesome, thanks to networks with high speed connections !!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

Be sure to cycle that through and make sure it won't hit the frame where you have
the dimple died brace. Seems like with that big of a brace you might run into
some clearance probs.

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

motoxscott

Reaction
Yea, I'm gonna do some mock ups, and wait until the rear is completely done before I build the final shackles. Just in case I need to change their length for proper ride height, etc etc.

Thanks for the input.

-Scott

Jack

Reaction

Looks "zoooomy" to me, you could make it a little more simple and just run your split tube from hole to hole and not angle it with the plate in the midlle, the rest looks good, I would still put teflon sliders on the frame to help take some stress off of the top bolt bushing and mount.

motoxscott

Reaction

Yea I was looking through the McMaster-Carr website and they have teflon sheeting in various thicknesses and sizes, so I will probably do that as well.

ntsqd

Reaction

I wouldn't use teflon. It's more expensive than other options and it cold flows. Meaning it will work it's way out from under any continuous load (like from under the retaining bolt or rivet heads).
Far better would be either Acetal ("Delrin") or UHMWPE, both of which are also available from MMC. FWIW, most of the chain guide stuff on mx cycles is made from UHMWPE, as are Coolant bottles. Both materials are used in various types of bearings. I've made rub strips and bushings from coolant bottles, but it's a bit thin for this app.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Greg

Reaction

as a side note, you can order the Delrin in black so it dosent look dirty. We use it all the time at work and its neat stuff. easy to work with too.

Greg

motoxscott

Reaction

Once you go black, you dont go back..............

as it relates to delrin of course.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction

I use the delrin AF or 570 I think its called for bushings and stuff. It's teflon impregnated delrin. Stable and slippery!