• Forum membership has its advantages....

shackle mounting

gary

does anybody have any pics of shackles mounted through the frame, not on a mount under it?? i've got the leaf spring packs i want, now it's time to get 'em mounted up. i've seen it done before, but i'd like a few photos so i've got an idea of what i'm doing here....

gary

same truck, different angle....doesn't it seem like as the shackle swings back, the end of the spring is gonna hit the underside of the frame??

Stan

Great way to get techie pics. What's the story behind the carnage?

"Rehabilitation begins at autopsy."

RacerX

The Toyota of BK Fabworks was rear ended by the Durlast Trophy Truck then the Herbst Trophy Truck. I believe at the Fireworks 250

Donahoe

Gary here is a pic of the rear shackels I did on the Toyota 7s of S&S motorsports formally Brady Helms... They are six year old and have never been changed .... It works pretty well... Won 3 score 7s championships. Good luck with your project.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

gary

thanks for the help...jerry and kreg, i've got a question for ya....is there any type of bushing around that top bolt in the shackle, or is it just a welded in sleeve or tube that the bolt goes through? i ask because i have seen them done with a larger hole cut through each side of the frame, then a large tube welded in, with a bushing in it around the shackle bolt, like a regular size polyureythane suspension bushing. doesn't look like that's the case with any of the pics you guys sent. seems like the bigger hole might weaken the frame a bit?

Jerry Zaiden

That is how we do it. We use a peice of 250 wall tube with a Delrin (aceetal) or Urethane Bushing . Use a sleave inside the bushing to reduse the bolt to 1/2". The od of the sleave is 3/4". This also lets the bushing pivot on the sleave and not the bolt.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Jerry / Camburg on 09/11/01 09:54 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Donahoe

Gary, Sometimes a bigger bushing is good... Matters how much serface area you want for less deflection. The rear shackles can flex side to side under rear end side loads. The bigger the frame bushing, the longer it will last in the truck. Another option is to go to a twin uni-ball set up. two uni-balls side by side in a machined sleeve. But that is probably overkill for you. Good luck.... Let us know how it turns out...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!