shackle pivot bushing

Ryan B

Reaction
i have the giant 64 kit on my bronco, and i've blown out the lower bushings in the shackle a couple times in about a year.

has anyone had and issues using a delrin bushing instead of a polyurethane bushing on their shackles? like them just being too stiff, and instead of allowing some side movement the cause cracks???

Ryan B

Reaction
well... I guess I'm going to purchase some delrin today.

it will most likely work better then a poly bushing.

i'll reply to this with the results once i put another thousandish miles on my prerunner :)

ChromolyKid

Reaction
well... I guess I'm going to purchase some delrin today.

it will most likely work better then a poly bushing.

i'll reply to this with the results once i put another thousandish miles on my prerunner :)
Let me know what happens. I'm looking to replace my Deaver bushings. I've got a topic somewhere underneath yours right now. I was hoping to get a little more help but, experience is the best way to learn so I'll experiment. Hope the Delrins work well for you because I'll probably do the same!

Baja Fool

Reaction
I've found that rubber bushings will not crack or blow out as quickly under severe articulation as poly does on that rear shackle....My .02

Ryan B

Reaction
i've got a few miles on the new delrin bushings.
A+ they are holding up fine so far.

johnnyweb

Reaction
Check your spring perchs as well. They like to twist up and put the shackle at a leaned in angle and that plays hard on the bushings in the shackle. Usually best to reinforce the outer pivot point so the shackle stays square.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Usually best to reinforce the outer pivot point so the shackle stays square.
We did something similar with our 7s Ranger. The photos below show another 7s truck with additional tubing reinforcing the outside spring perch with some 1" tubing to prevent it from twisting. Our set-up is similar with an additional tube tied into the frame.

This modification made a big difference in the life of our shackle bushings. Just make sure you cycle the suspension so the placement of the tube doesn't interfere with the movement of the shackle when the suspension goes into compression.

Attachments

Wahl_7s

Reaction
Ours is also similar we were breaking perches, a double shear is a must probably will fix bushing problem too.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction

Sparky

Reaction
Well, I guess I assumed that the "lower bushing in the shackle" was the bushing in the eye of the leaf. Didn't realize he was running an inverted shackle.

As for the bushings not lasting long...we are in our second season on a set in our Jeepspeed with no problems at all. Whoever says they don't last long when subjected to extreme conditions is...well, just wrong.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
As for the bushings not lasting long...we are in our second season on a set in our Jeepspeed with no problems at all. Whoever says they don't last long when subjected to extreme conditions is...well, just wrong.
Well, if those bushings are working for you, great. You're the only one I know of who got more than three races out of one set. None the less, the $350 I paid for two sets that were trashed after three races tells me I'm right.

Baja Fool

Reaction
i've got a few miles on the new delrin bushings.
A+ they are holding up fine so far.
I'm trying Delrin out on my radius arm bushings. Taking the truck to Barstow next week to see how they perform.

johnnyweb

Reaction
The Baja bushing did not hold up for me either maybe two races in my 7truck and they were toast. I went back to urethane type and cleaned and lubed them every race and they lasted better.

Baja Fool

Reaction
The Baja bushing did not hold up for me either maybe two races in my 7truck and they were toast. I went back to urethane type and cleaned and lubed them every race and they lasted better.
x2...Deaver told me that my Ford was too heavy for these and would not last. I too have urethane.

mpower

Reaction
anyone know what type/grade delrin should be used for shackle bushings? im about to order some but the guy at the plastics place has a lot of different types of delrin rod, and at these prices i dont really want to experement with which grade to use. thanks

atomicjoe23

Reaction
anyone know what type/grade delrin should be used for shackle bushings? im about to order some but the guy at the plastics place has a lot of different types of delrin rod, and at these prices i dont really want to experement with which grade to use. thanks
+2 on this, I would like to know as well.

Plus, where can you get this delrin rod from???

Thanks!

mpower

Reaction
+2 on this, I would like to know as well.

Plus, where can you get this delrin rod from???

Thanks!
around me ,
mcmasterr carr

and

orange county industrial plastics ,
seem to have a good selection other than that i dont know anybody else.