Shackles - Over or Under frame?

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I'm going to be mounting 62" Deavers soon, and I was wondering which was better and why.

Should I mount the shackles over the frame or under it? What are the advantages vs. disadvantages?

Thanks,
Jason

98 Tacoma Prerunner, Camburg Long Travel Kit

drtdevil93

Reaction
my opinion, is they go best in the frame. its a compromise. under the frame would have the best geometry, but the springs would need to be dearched a lot, or the truck would be WAY high. over the frame the geometry isnt correct (once again, in my opinion).

erik

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Would that weaken the frame at all? Though I guess not. I'm ditching the bed and caging the rear so if there was any weakness from going through the frame then the cage would help it.

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Just link it.
It would be alot easier, and ride/ work 10x better especially if you plan to lose the bed.

-Gabe

drtdevil93

Reaction
gabe- you need to go for a ride in my truck. if 22" rear travel on a under 2500 lb car, then you are asking for too much. and a little birdy told me in a couple months, i might have even more travel. hmmm...

erik

btw cost
-race spring -600
-xxxx bypass shocks -1000
-chromoly tube -200
-ubolts and bushings -60
-having peoples eyes pop out when you show them all the travel - priceless
these are approx. retail prices

hmmm... ill post a pic tomorrow

drtdevil93

Reaction
well, eye-eye they are 11", but i am going to move up to probably a 13" in a little while, to get a little more down travel.

erik

drtdevil93

Reaction
not as long as you line it all up right. does yours have a one piece or two piece?

erik

toyoter91

Reaction
what are you running for bump stops?? and about how much travel is that...

laters
-Rob

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Good question, I belive two piece. Rear setup looks good, hope thats what I have to look forward to.

ntsqd

Reaction
That's a dang handy loop you've got there.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

drtdevil93

Reaction
you know, i have no idea what those loops are really for, but, ya, they are pretty useful

erik

drtdevil93

Reaction
bump stops i do not have at teh moment. thats why i havent gone big on a jump yet. my plan is for a stock rubber bump and air bumps. the travel- right now its about 20". i had it cycling about 24, but i had to dearc the pack about 3" to get the proper ride height. once i get a little more weight in it and bring the front up a little more, i should be able to get about 24". but, who knows?

erik

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Cool you finally painted the rear cage :) It looks a lot better now man :) Good luck at the Kartek I think ya got some scarry competition hehehehh

Go Big Or Go Home
*UBCS 4 Life*

drtdevil93

Reaction
ya, i didnt want to paint it til all the tubes were in, of course now i thought of a couple more i want. and i wasnt thinking and got overspray all over the cab. DOHK!!

erik