• Forum membership has its advantages....

sheet metal

ausracer05

Hi there

Looking for some help with trying to cut thin aluminium? What's the best way if you don't have a guillotine and have to cut it by hand ??

Thanks

J Burleson

get an electric hand shear or nibbler a router works good too(it makes a friggen mess but works good!)

51rcr

the lil shears work the best for me on the thin stuff. Mine are made by bosch. the nibblers make a huge damn mess and stick in the rubber in our boots and everything else. ya don't want them to make it home and get in a rugs or carpet, not a nice surprise.

blue dog

You can cut aluminum with a carbide blade in a skill saw

blue dog

image.jpeg
I just bought this bad boy, cuts 1/2 steel plate with ease.

DesertGuy1

Hi there

Looking for some help with trying to cut thin aluminium? What's the best way if you don't have a guillotine and have to cut it by hand ??

Thanks
If you want to cut aluminum sheet and need to do it 'garage style'... use a jigsaw with a metal blade, I prefer the Bosch blade for metal. Cut slowly and have a spray bottle filled with WD-40. As you are cutting, spray the WD-40 just ahead of the cut... it keeps the blade from loading up. After a few inches of cutting, you will see how much you need to spray and how fast (or slow) you need to cut.

You can easily cut up to 1/4" aluminum using this method. For very thin aluminum, I will use my electric shear, KETT KD-440

ausracer05

Thanks for all your help guys will go and try a shear first and see how that works for me.

Cheers

DBMETALWORX

I use the Kett p-540 air shear .. A Beverly b2 throatless shear. A Beverly ss3 slitting shear. Snap on 16ga nibbler. And 1/16"x4" cutoff wheels when I can't use the squaring shear..