Sheriff's Helo Accident @ Rialto

Dave_G

Sheriff\'s Helo Accident @ Rialto

All,
I just returned from the sheriff's hangar at Rialto this evening. We lost another MD600 Notar patrol helicopter in a bad accident at about 5 pm this evening. The helicopter crashed on a city street about 1/2 mile south of the airport while returning to the hangar.

My friend and fellow pilot, Charlie Wynn, is in critical condition at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center with major head injuries, a broken back and fractured femur. Charlie is such a nice and personable guy you just can't help but like him when you first meet him. He's one of the few old time Viet Nam pilots that's still in the department. He was planning to retire in the next year. This is truly sad, sad, news for us here at the aviation division. This is the second Notar accident we have had in the past 3 years.

I hope some of you will be kind enough to keep him in your thoughts and prayers this evening. He's one damn good friend I'd hate to see go west.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

John Bitting

Administrator
Re: Sheriff\'s Helo Accident @ Rialto

Sorry to hear that Dave, Thanks for the post and he will be in my family's prayers tonight..

Dave_G

Thanks John. Latest I have learned is that Brian, the observer, has stated that Charlie made a last minute heroic manuver to keep from putting the chopper into the houses and killing innocent people. He managed to make it to an intersection in the street and sacrificed the needed altitude to do an autorotation. Somehow, I'm not suprised.....that's just the way Charlie is. Always lookin out for everybody else.

Dave

fishd00d

What A Joke

Very sad Dave and I hope he has a full recovery! Its a special person to think at the last second to save other people's lives!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Tony_Barraza

Dave-

I caught the tail end of this story on the news this evening. They are also referring to Charlie as a hero.

Please offer our prayers and best wished to his family, friends and colleagues.

Please keep us updated.

Tony B.

"Get Creative!"

J_Dog

Dave,
My thoughts and prayers go out to Charlie. Always hate to hear about a brother deputy getting hurt. Let him know the fellow deputies of the Napa County Sheriff's Department wish him a speedy recovery.

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA

Dave_G

Jeff,
Bryan, the observer, is going home today from the hospital. He's got a long road of rehab ahead of him as a result from spinal compression. Charlie on the other hand is holding his own but still critical. His injuries are more sever than first thought and he's still in a drug induced coma and intibated. E-mails sent to me last night said they will try and do surgery today to install steel plates on his crushed pelvis. They've waited awhile to do this so his collapsed lung and heart got stronger before they worked on him . Still, a long road to recovery is in store for him.

Dave